• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CCNP Kit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mayonati

Hey!

I just took my CCNA exam on Monday and passed (936 / 1000 :D). I should note that this was the 640-801 - I took the course for it a couple of years ago but never bothered with the exam, and managed to just squeeze it in now, before the 31st of July when they stop running the 801 exam completely and move over to the 802.

Anyway. I have a functioning CCNA lab that consists of:

2x 2610 Routers with 2x WIC-1T cards each
2x 2924 Switches
1x 2621 Router
2x 2503 Routers
1x 2828 Switch (very old / useless, but good for simple connectivity)

And two PCs connected with KVM to represent "End hosts"
Plus all the cables, etc.

---

I'm now hoping to take my CCNP course next year, and I'm just wondering what kind of extra gear I'm going to need (and how many pieces) to "conform" to CCNP requirements?

I've done a lot of reading on the net about this, and surfing of e-Bay.
Follows is a list of devices that people recommend, and the associated typical (UK) price for the gear second hand. Bear in mind that some of the posts/articles/etc may be assuming the person has no kit already.

Cisco 7911G IP phone (For IP telephony?) - Around £30
Cisco 2950 Switch (May not be needed as I have 2924s?) - £80
Cisco 3550 Switch - For L3 stuff? - Typically around £300 Buy-It-Now but I'm not sure what bids are ending for...
Cisco 3560 - There seems to be some debate as to whether a 3550 or 3560 would be better. 3560 is newer and the 3550 is being "phased out", however 3560s are like £800+. I'm not sure how "useful" the 3550 still is and whether a 3560 is an absolute must, even given the price hike, or whether the 3550 will do.

Cisco 2610 - Router for Frame Relay - Also 2522?

Cisco 3640 Router - Seems older but it's the 3000 series stuff so may be more useful than my 2600s for certain things? Also only around £70-£90, and comes highly recommended apparently. Which is a lot better priced than..

Cisco 2811 - These start at around £600 and quickly hike into the low thousand mark. No idea what makes these so special but they've been mentioned in some places. Apparently also good for CCIE, although that is a long way off for me. That said, I will get my CCIE one day, so might be worth collecting gear now? :D

Also a Wireless AP and adaptor cards has been recommended.. I'm guessing there's a wireless unit on the course. I don't know a great deal about the CCNP at the moment, but AFAIK there are optional "pathways". I do also have a Pix 501 Firewall by coincidence, so if there's a Security pathway that might be an idea (Although I know that higher end PIXs, such as the 515s, and of course the ASAs are extremely pricy, so if there's a CCNP equivalent of the CCIE's R&S maybe that would be a better (cheaper) option).

---

My budget is pretty limited. Basically I want to get the most gear (or, the most CCNP functionality - in other words, most labs and chapters covered by the equipment) for my money. In other words, I'd rather get 3 or 4 cheap routers and switches to cover 5 additional chapters than a 2811 just to cover one element for the same price, haha.

Any suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
Try to contact Cisco Netacad for hardware requirements for Network Academies. I don't know if they still require an Adrtan to simulate links over POTS type connections or not.

The 2811 is for running Pageant if I recall correctly which will help with the shaping labs and to simulate a congested network. I think they are basically required but the rest hmm. A layer 3 switch, 1(maybe 2) 2811's and whatever else you want really. The VOIP stuff I don't remember but you seem to have that covered.

Good luck with your studies.

for ccnp, i woudl think you could use a ASA. it wouldnt hurt :)

edit: there is someone developing a ASA IOS off linux. its pretty much functional. let me see if i can dig it up for you, i know a few people here were interested in it.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=600843&highlight=cisco+asa

there is the link. good luck!

yar, twas me! i have it on my desktop, it runs 8.0.2 code wich is old, and has some security issues yar!
lol

congrats on the CCNA, im just prepping for my 2nd ccnp exam, hopefully before the end of this month if i feel confident enough. the exams are very expensive! :/
then just two more and then on to start the CCVP but not before the CCNA voice!

edit, regarding equipment, dont buy ANY unless you feel that whilst studying you need something to use.
there are alternatives like dynamips - which i never use.

i passed my ccna without any kit, now i work doing this every day so i have experience there,
try and get a job as a network junior and show that you're willing to work and study. some employers see this as a cheaper fill to a job gap, and if you pair up with a CCIE you will learn absolutely LOADS!
one thing i will say, is that now you have done your ccna, you have opened up a door to a lifetime of learning and adaption,
right now you just dont know what else there is to get your head round. my advice right now is pick up the bcmsn or bsci CCNP book and dont stop until you have read it :)
if you are willing you will go far,
as a side bonus, i bet you will find plenty of people that tell you things that they think are correct, but you will know they are wrong ;)

yar, twas me! i have it on my desktop, it runs 8.0.2 code wich is old, and has some security issues yar!
lol

congrats on the CCNA, im just prepping for my 2nd ccnp exam, hopefully before the end of this month if i feel confident enough. the exams are very expensive! :/
then just two more and then on to start the CCVP but not before the CCNA voice!

edit, regarding equipment, dont buy ANY unless you feel that whilst studying you need something to use.
there are alternatives like dynamips - which i never use.

i passed my ccna without any kit, now i work doing this every day so i have experience there,
try and get a job as a network junior and show that you're willing to work and study. some employers see this as a cheaper fill to a job gap, and if you pair up with a CCIE you will learn absolutely LOADS!
one thing i will say, is that now you have done your ccna, you have opened up a door to a lifetime of learning and adaption,
right now you just dont know what else there is to get your head round. my advice right now is pick up the bcmsn or bsci CCNP book and dont stop until you have read it :)
if you are willing you will go far,
as a side bonus, i bet you will find plenty of people that tell you things that they think are correct, but you will know they are wrong ;)

yeah, but it gives you a good base as to how the ASA operates, those are another beast, i dont think i will get used to typing commands from exec mode in global config without "do", its just .. .weird that and the way it operates, but its a firewall, its meant to have high security which you unblock items later on!

cisco voice is neat, i had picked up a MC3800 series (3850 maybe?) to toy with in my spare time. 2 T1 interfaces, 2 serial and a eth0 :) good stuff!! i had read that i can run CME but i havent actually tested this myth.

Back