• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron 1.2 oc observations and question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here is what I get at 1.1GHz. I am stumped now too. The CPU temps are off on your ST6.

Your 5v rail is getting pretty low. I remember having problems with my PSU and OC'n my older cel-ts when my 5v got that low but it is not that bad either. It could be a partial problem.

ol' man said:
Your 5v rail is getting pretty low. I remember having problems with my PSU and OC'n my older cel-ts when my 5v got that low but it is not that bad either. It could be a partial problem.
I have notice that too its an Allied 300w PSu. I dont know if it has trim pots in it or not to adjust the volts up a little its only like a month old. I will take it out and check in a couple of days but I dont think its a problem right now until I figure out me temp/probe problem. SO Now were both stumpt. Thanks for all of the assistance but I gota get to bed.

For what it's worth, I think my case cooling is not good. I have one fan blowing in the front and the exhaust fan for the 300 psu blowing out in the back. Also, it's in a reallycompact desk which isn't helping airflow around the computer

I'm thinking of putting a hole in the side of the case with a cardboard duct so the outside air goes straight to the hsf. Alternatively, I'm also thinking of putting a better fan in the front and another in the back to improve airflow.

Other the the Thermalright, I really haven't done any work to lower temps and I guess the results show that. (I did replace the Thermalright with the Intel hsf to see what would happen and temps went up almost 10C).

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. Unfortantley the computer must stay where it is and I must try to keep it as quiet as I can.

rayik said:
For what it's worth, I think my case cooling is not good. I have one fan blowing in the front and the exhaust fan for the 300 psu blowing out in the back. Also, it's in a reallycompact desk which isn't helping airflow around the computer
Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. Unfortantley the computer must stay where it is and I must try to keep it as quiet as I can.

Before I'd start to modify your case, I'd take the case cover off and aim a normal desktop fan (well those big ones what you use during heatwave) to blow on your cpu-heatsink to test if increased airflow gets your cele1.2 ->1,6 or not. I think that is pretty reliable test to see if airflow increases the overclockability.

If it helped overclockability, then you'd have to decide whether to modify your case or not. And then how.

I once modded an XT-case (yes 086-case :) to accomodate amd k6-3 400Mhz on VX AT-board. It ran so hot. I had to make a hole in the desktop case to keep it running @Default...well 2,5V instead of 2,4V, otherwise it crashed. Ouh well, it lasted maybe a year until the system died (cpu overheated? or mobo).

Even if you succeed to modify your case, you propably run into some difficulties... dust, noise, emi-radiation, heat(?)... well it's your decision. If I were you I'd get a 1,1A cele and sell that 1,2A cele.

rayik said:

I'm thinking of putting a hole in the side of the case with a cardboard duct so the outside air goes straight to the hsf. Alternatively, I'm also thinking of putting a better fan in the front and another in the back to improve airflow.

Other the the Thermalright, I really haven't done any work to lower temps and I guess the results show that. (I did replace the Thermalright with the Intel hsf to see what would happen and temps went up almost 10C).

rayik
Sorry if I took over your thread but I think it is pretty much on topic for you as well as me. I think you should first just take the cover off of your case and point a fan at the case and see if it makes any significant difference because once you close the case up you will never get as much cool air circulating inside. If you have been following my posts you will see that in at least my case it seems that my cpu probe is incorrect. Even o'man said he was stumped. If your case must be in a crampt envirenment its not going to get good airflow and your cooling is going to suffer.

davefred99 said:

rayik
I have almost the same situation as you do with my new ST6 mobo and a 1.3 chip. I am begining to take all of tempeature quotes with a grain of salt. I have 3 running systems 1 ST6 one Vh6t and one Msi6388 and my temps are flat out 10c higher in the st6 motherboard. I do not know wich one is the more accurrate of the three but the msi and vh6t read almost the same with the same chip but the st6 motherboard wont even give me a reading of less than 41c at first boot and default speed and vcore settings so I dont trust it. I have been discussing this in my original thread vh6t vs st6 and have got a lot of different opinions about it. It is possible that most other motherboards use cheaper sensors than the st6 or the newer revision boards just read high but it makes no sense to me since I get the same performance out of all of my mobos as far as heat is concerned. The bottom line is in my case in the st6 mobo my temps are 43-45c idle and 47-50c load and anything over 55c causes problems. In the other boards it reads 33-35c idle and 37-40c load and anything over 45c in them causes problems. Many will say I have a heat problem. I say no I have a temp probe problem because I have excellent cooling in all of my cases and am running a copper hsf/delta38 fan that sounds like a vacume cleaner running and yes I use as3 compound and have done this many times before I am no beginner at this. This is not the first time someone said that the st6 mobo is known for giving higher readings and I am sure it wont be the last.

I think he may be on to something, or I might be having the same problem. I had 4 computers set up with the same cooling, same case, same everything.....I swapped out the mobo and CPU 3 times to test this theory.

Here we go....

Abit KR7A-Raid / Ambient 30c / CPU IDLE 42c / CPU LOAD 47c (Athlon XP 1800+ Stock Speed)

Abit KT7A / Ambient 31c / CPU IDLE 40c / CPU LOAD 46c (Athlon 1.2 @ 1.45)

MSI 815E Pro / Ambient 31c / CPU IDLE 38c / CPU LOAD 42c (Pentium 3 800 @ 870)

Abit ST-6 Raid / Ambient 37c / CPU IDLE 41c / CPU LOAD 45c (Celeron Tualatin 1.1A @ 1.48)

Now this is the same case and everything else, just swapped the mobo's and CPU's out to check temps, the ST6 DOES read higher then the other boards so Im kinda thinking they read hotter then they should. Perhaps we will get to the bottom of this one day!, hehe.

Cheers

Last edited:
Ok then, Here is my Celeron 1.1A Running at stock speed (no overclock at all) and I KNOW that my ambient temp is not that high...

Temps.JPG

chasingapple said:
Ok then, Here is my Celeron 1.1A Running at stock speed (no overclock at all) and I KNOW that my ambient temp is not that high...

Temps.JPG

That is not your ambient temps! That is a sensor on your mobo next to a mosfet or the chipset so it is getting extra heat from something. You have to use one of these

Image3.gif

and plug it inot your mobo at one of the thermistor plugins. I think the st6 has one or two places you can use one of these. I know my old BD100+ has about 3 different places. I think I am going to make another one too. Here is where they show you how to do it.

http://www.targetpc.com/hardware/articles/thermal_probe/

That is the only way to get a good reading of your ambient temps! CPU and system temps are always usually pretty close together but not always. When I was running my cpu at 1.8GHz/1.85v @ -5~5 deg. C my system temp was always around 50 deg. C. I would not use the system temp for much except comparing two different mobo's for accurate temp probes like I have done with davefred. One of the ts2/thermistor inputs is next to the fan header by the chipset right above the agp slot. There may be more but I advise you to use your manual to find them.

Chasingapple your system and cpu temps seem pretty normal in their ratios. On air they can be apart 5+ or 5- usually! The on board thermistor is really close to the cpu!

davefred99 said:

rayik
Sorry if I took over your thread but I think it is pretty much on topic for you as well as me. I think you should first just take the cover off of your case and point a fan at the case and see if it makes any significant difference because once you close the case up you will never get as much cool air circulating inside. If you have been following my posts you will see that in at least my case it seems that my cpu probe is incorrect. Even o'man said he was stumped. If your case must be in a crampt envirenment its not going to get good airflow and your cooling is going to suffer.

Wel I am kinda stumped not tottally though. I would look a little bit more at your PSU. IT seemed to be getting a little bad there when you hit 1500+ speeds. My 5v rail never went below 5v even when my cpu was at 1.8GHz sucking 70w! I am using a antec PSU though if that has any difference I don't know.

ol' man said:

That is not your ambient temps! That is a sensor on your mobo next to a mosfet or the chipset so it is getting extra heat from something. You have to use one of these

Image3.gif

and plug it inot your mobo at one of the thermistor plugins. I think the st6 has one or two places you can use one of these. I know my old BD100+ has about 3 different places. I think I am going to make another one too. Here is where they show you how to do it.

http://www.targetpc.com/hardware/articles/thermal_probe/

That is the only way to get a good reading of your ambient temps! CPU and system temps are always usually pretty close together but not always. When I was running my cpu at 1.8GHz/1.85v @ -5~5 deg. C my system temp was always around 50 deg. C. I would not use the system temp for much except comparing two different mobo's for accurate temp probes like I have done with davefred. One of the ts2/thermistor inputs is next to the fan header by the chipset right above the agp slot. There may be more but I advise you to use your manual to find them.

Chasingapple your system and cpu temps seem pretty normal in their ratios. On air they can be apart 5+ or 5- usually! The on board thermistor is really close to the cpu!

Ahhh ok I thought like all my other motherboards that it was still reporting the ambient temps in my PC, now that I know its the motherboard temp it makes a little more sense.

Well I went back to my Overclock and now its reading...

Mobo / 38c
CPU / 42c

I live in Las Vegas and its really hot in this house right now, not using the air conditioning at the moment and its around 102F outside, lol

Its stable and this is 11x133 1.6v

chasingapple said:

Its stable and this is 11x133 1.6v

Your temps sound good. I would be happier than a pup with two peckers with that! Your temps are right!

ol' man said:

Your temps sound good. I would be happier than a pup with two peckers with that! Your temps are right!

One dead 1.3 chip

I decided to try and make and new hsh shim out ot packing tape and must have cut someting on the top with a razor , cutting out a slot for the core and its dead now just beep,beep, beep.
So I installed my 1.1a chip and am testing in prime95 133fsb @ 1.675v . This is less volts than the chip ran at in my vh6t. And ya the Temps are still about the same as my 1.3. Right now its reading 49c with prime95 running in the backround, but stable so far.

davefred99 said:

One dead 1.3 chip

I decided to try and make and new hsh shim out ot packing tape and must have cut someting on the top with a razor , cutting out a slot for the core and its dead now just beep,beep, beep.
So I installed my 1.1a chip and am testing in prime95 133fsb @ 1.675v . This is less volts than the chip ran at in my vh6t. And ya the Temps are still about the same as my 1.3. Right now its reading 49c with prime95 running in the backround, but stable so far.

Okay then well maybe it is better dead than alive:D

Anyway if you have not sanded your IHS you can glue it back on the 1.3 and RMA it back to intel if you want.(TWICE FOR ME, WORKED BOTH TIMES) Maybe your next one would be better. Maybe the new stepping?

p.s. You did't hear this from me!;)

ol' man said:

Okay then well maybe it is better dead than alive:D

Anyway if you have not sanded your IHS you can glue it back on the 1.3 and RMA it back to intel if you want.(TWICE FOR ME, WORKED BOTH TIMES) Maybe your next one would be better. Maybe the new stepping?

p.s. You did't hear this from me!;)
Your right that chip was dead a long time ago.
What did you use to glue the IHS back on with. I removed all of the black stuff. Anyway I am ordering a 1.2 from newegg to try out. I just cant get enough off this stuff hehe. Did you get my PM

davefred99 said:

Your right that chip was dead a long time ago.
What did you use to glue the IHS back on with. I removed all of the black stuff. Anyway I am ordering a 1.2 from newegg to try out. I just cant get enough off this stuff hehe. Did you get my PM

Black silicone should work but get it perfect and you will have to let it sit for a good while to allow it to dry! Yes I got your pm. The 1.1a on the ST6 is working better for ya? That is good. You have a good combo there that is for sure!

Back