• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron 420 vs Pentium 4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kittyhawk

Registered
Where are the benchmarks for the Celeron 420 CPU? How does it fare against a Pentium 4 - 2.66GHz CPU?

I've checked Tomshardware.com's CPU charts but can't find the Celeron 420 on the charts.

Thank you for the information!

The Celeron 420 does just about as well as a Pentium 4 @ 2.8GHz, but consumes alot less power.

From what I can tell, there's a huge jump in performance from the Celly 420 to the e2140, very much worth the price difference. Doesn't make sense to me why anyone would get a celeron.

Add the Celeron 1200 to the list of worthy competitors of the Cel 420, 3G capable dualcore for a little more than the single core version. then comes the E2XX0 line for another few bucks, the low end is really overcrowded but I don't mind.

3ghz celly 420 is greater than in most cases or equal to FX57. They can hit roughly 2.8~3ghz without much complaining.

However, if you want an upgrade from a P4, the e2140//e2160 would be a nice thing to get, since it is dualcore. (and it really isn't much more.)

From what I can tell, there's a huge jump in performance from the Celly 420 to the e2140, very much worth the price difference. Doesn't make sense to me why anyone would get a celeron.

Pricewise no, although a 420 at ~$40 is still notably less than an e2140 it's not much money in absolute terms. I wouldn't boter with a Celly dual core though, it's within spitting distance of the e2140. That article shows 'estimated' power draw isn't that much different either although it IS estimated and they don't know how much the CPU is really drawing. They could have done something simple like a kill-a-watt reading :rolleyes: For CPU-intensive tasks that are multi-threaded the dual core would probably save power over the course of the task anyway. But there are legit uses for a single core and the TDP is lower. I use a Cel 420 in a server box for which it is plenty of CPU with a passive Scythe Ninja and the full P95 load temp is only 4C above idle temps. I don't think the same could be said for a dual-core. So despite the power estimates in that article I'm pretty sure the power draw for the whole system is notably lower with the single core.

One guy here even ran his Cel 420 with NO HSF at all! haha

Back