• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Changing CPUs, general question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sammich

So I built my first computer with you guys almost a year ago. It was a budget rig and I pieced it together with what I could afford. Reference the thread here if need-be: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656697

It held me over for a while, but recently I found myself power hungry. I went ahead and replaced the 5770 with a 6950. With a little research I found out my motherboard is going to have a BIOS update that will support AMD's new line of Bulldozer processors. I will definitely be purchasing either the 4 or 6 core variant of that processor, my question is in regards to the actual swap.

My current Phenom II 555 is overclocked and has one additional core unlocked, will those settings be reset after the card is removed from the motherboard or are they saved? Will they affect the normal clocking of a new bulldozer card and is there anything I need to do to reset them aside from pulling the mobo battery and re-seating it?

Thanks

Last edited:
If I put a new CPU in my motherboard, I would reset the CMOS. The motherboard should reset some options, but it is best to do it yourself to make sure.

Thanks for the quick reply, you confirmed my speculation. =)

Back