• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheap samsung PC2700 vs. more expensive stuff?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

illig

I'm in the process of a mobo-cpu-ram upgrade... i've already purchased a KT333 mobo (Epox) and I most likely will get an XP 2100+ this week as well...

My question is whether it's worth it to spend extra $$ on better ram...

I'm currently looking at some Samsung PC2700 (rated at CL 2.5) which goes for about $125 for a 512MB stick... seems like a good deal, no?

On the other hand, I'd need to spend an extra $40 or $50 for memory which is guaranteed CL 2 at PC2700... is it worth it? Will the Samsung absolutely not be able to attain better timings than CL 2.5?? This is my first experience with DDR, but I remember that most PC133 ram was able to reach higher than rated timings...

I'm not a huge overclocker since I'm concerned with noise... So I don't need my ram to be capable of 200MHz... I just want a bit above stock MHz at fast timings...

Any suggestions?

yah... i've looked through that thread, but the samsung you guys test doesn't seem to be the cheap stuff...

i know for a fact that you can't get good Corsair PC3200 for $30 more than this stuff, as you stated in the above-mentioned thread

illig said:
yah... i've looked through that thread, but the samsung you guys test doesn't seem to be the cheap stuff...

i know for a fact that you can't get good Corsair PC3200 for $30 more than this stuff, as you stated in the above-mentioned thread

I think I might need to revise that as my 512MB chip cost me $150... corsair PC3200 cas2 platinum is available at googlegear for pretty cheap, ordered some for a friend and it came in a matter of days.

thanks for the input... i decided to be a guinea pig and ordered the cheap stuff... if it sucks i'll warn everyone against it :D

here is my results in a few tests
corsair 2100 128 mb cas 2.5-3-3 samsung chips
166 C2-2-2
202 C2.5-3-3

samsung 2700 512 mb 2.5-3-3
182 C2.0-2-2
190 C2.5-3-3

both at 2.8vdimm

i decided to run both sticks in my machine 640 mb ,180 fsb @2.5-3-3 just a little bandwith loss due to higher cas,since my 2100 cant do C2@180 still working on it tho.

yeh i know corsair 3200C2 would blow it away in specs.but in reality isnt much perfomance loss.plus im an overclocker,so the samsung is my choice.cant really oc xms to much.its already rated high.why buy something u cant get much extra performance from?

its not the xms's fault it cant be oced much.its everything elses fault in the system that cant max the ram out.

illig said:
thanks for the input... i decided to be a guinea pig and ordered the cheap stuff... if it sucks i'll warn everyone against it :D

dude, i know of the ram you are talking about, ITS TOTAL CRAP!!! I bought it from googlegear too...

It wont do 1t command not even at 333mhz (stock) and still im forced to use lagged timings for it to be stable. I could oc it to 346MHz (176MHz FSB) but i think its not even close to "bang for the buck", id say "crap for the buck". Get some good corsair pc2700 cas2, no matter the price!!!

Right now i want to get a corsair pc3200 cas2. but i havve no money and i cant sell this memory to anyone around where i live... sigh :(

samsung memory is the best. there the worlds largest semi conducter maker and there quailty is top notch. i also find that there memory runs the coolest ive ever seen. just by touch its only slightly warm as opposed to hot like other ram.

mooseboy84 said:
samsung memory is the best. there the worlds largest semi conducter maker and there quailty is top notch. i also find that there memory runs the coolest ive ever seen. just by touch its only slightly warm as opposed to hot like other ram.

yeah, but thats true samsung ram, the generic pcb i got is not even close to that (and im pretty sure its te one illig wants to get)

bah... i ordered it before PhobMX's warning appeared...

oh well, hopefully i'll have better luck with it than you did :eh?:

FYFI, many people have had a lot of success with Kingston ValueRam, which seems to be the successor to Samsung's CTL

true samsung pc2700 isn't all that expensive, I think googlegear has it fairly cheap...

I have mine running at cas2 and max settings without a hickup at 166 and it CAN go much faster than that and didn't pay anywhere near as much as for corsair:D

PhobMX said:
googlegear has no true samsung memory anymore, its just a cheap pcb ripoff which sux even at stock speeds....

I don't get it, I got mine about two weeks ago and it seems to be working like true samsung, how can you tell the difference between the PCBs?

kiljaden5 said:

I don't get it, I got mine about two weeks ago and it seems to be working like true samsung, how can you tell the difference between the PCBs?

to be true samsung it must have a sticker with "true samsung" or something written. I know this generic samsung one sux since i cant even run agressive timings at 333mhz and it wont overlock more than 346 :mad:

If you're going with cheap ram, go with Kingston. Don't go with the 3rd party Samsungs(like me:( ). If you're going with Samsung, go original. But then the price is close to the Corsair's

PhobMX said:

to be true samsung it must have a sticker with "true samsung" or something written. I know this generic samsung one sux since i cant even run agressive timings at 333mhz and it wont overlock more than 346 :mad:

hmmm... I don't think there was a sticker on mine, it did have Samsung carved into the PCB at the enge in very small letters... running it very aggressive right now at 333, but i'll try faster once my 1800+ tbred gets here, then I'll also check what exactly that sticker says

Hi,

in my opinion the Samsung chips are very good!!

I have Two Dimms clocked with 432Mhz works very fine and stable, with a VDIMM of 2.7!!

One Stick is PC2700 CB3!!!
The another one is a PC3200 from Samsung

Spitfire said:
Hi,

in my opinion the Samsung chips are very good!!

I have Two Dimms clocked with 432Mhz works very fine and stable, with a VDIMM of 2.7!!

One Stick is PC2700 CB3!!!
The another one is a PC3200 from Samsung

I take it those sticks are CTL? It should be at the end of the code on the label. DTL sticks are the ones with poor performance.

Back