• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Chimp Challenge 2011: Contest Rules and Important Dates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm going to get something up on the front page on Monday or Tuesday, about the Chimp Challenge.

I'll cover the rules, dates, etc. Does anyone have anything else they'd like mentioned as part of the Chimp Challenge announcement? Can anyone knock up a logo and/or provide some images of a folding farm to provide a bit of colour for the article?

I'm going to get something up on the front page on Monday or Tuesday, about the Chimp Challenge.

I'll cover the rules, dates, etc. Does anyone have anything else they'd like mentioned as part of the Chimp Challenge announcement? Can anyone knock up a logo and/or provide some images of a folding farm to provide a bit of colour for the article?
Just be sure to put up a big "WE NEED YOUR HELP!!":thup:

There was a thread going just a month or so ago with folks posting up pics or their rigs... maybe grab a pic from sfu's thread... now that's farmin'! :D

Last edited:
Those of you with access to Wordpress - can you please have a quick look at my article in 'Drafts' and let me know what you think?

OK, I think I'm in. I just installed the SMP client and registered using my user name and passkey. I specified team 32.

Team FahCore_a3.exe is happily crunching away on an Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit Linux box. At present I'm winding down on SETI GPU tasks and when they're done, I'll have a go at configuring FAH on my GPU.

When I configured, I did as follows:

Code:
Launch directory: /home/hbarta/folding
Executable: ./fah6
Arguments: -configonly -smp 

[13:19:10] Configuring Folding@Home...

User name [Anonymous]? HankB
Team Number [0]? 32
Passkey []? <entered my personal key>
Ask before fetching/sending work (no/yes) [no]? 
Use proxy (yes/no) [no]? 
Acceptable size of work assignment and work result packets (bigger units
 may have large memory demands) -- 'small' is <5MB, 'normal' is <10MB, and
 'big' is >10MB (small/normal/big) [normal]? [B]normal[/B]
Change advanced options (yes/no) [no]? [B]no[/B]

[13:22:16] - Ask before connecting: No
[13:22:16] - User name: HankB (Team 32)
[13:22:16] - User ID not found locally
[13:22:16] + Requesting User ID from server
[13:22:17] - Machine ID: 1
[13:22:17] 
[13:22:17] -configonly flag given, so exiting.
Terminated

I more or less went with default (normal size, no advanced options.) Feel free to point me towards information on making optimum selections for those choices.

I have a 4 core machine (no HT) so I don't think I can run 'bigadv.' I installed the SMP client.

At some point I plan to do some evaluation of tuning necessary to get the most benefit out of SMP and GPU tasks. Perhaps they'll be fine out of the box, but that was not what I found running Rosetta on the CPU and SETI on the GPU.

And if Sony every brings PSN back up, My PS3 will contribute its little bit.

I am concerned that I don't show up on the team status page: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=32 At present my only contribution has been via my PS3 but I did specify Team 32 when I set that up. Wait... I see it on http://fah-web.stanford.edu/teamstats/team32.html. My team rank is presently 2452 :D

I think this is all I need to do so please let me know if I've overlooked anything!

David, a few things:

1. The top post says that using the T32 passkey is optional. You have to read this whole thread to find out it's required for T32 to get credit for SMP WUs. Can you please clarify this in the first post.

2. There are instructions in the first post. Could you please clearly tell people what they need to do to fold for T32 (ex: 'Change your user name to "T32Monkeys" and change your passcode if you're folding SMP WUs. Please ask me if you need the passcode.') I'm concerned that the optional passcode is going to cause some confusion.

3. Let me know if you need help getting 10 SMP WUs completed.

THe team name is the most important to get right. It is T32monkeys NOT T32Monkeys. As long as EOC is used for stats and they are aggregated as they were last month, there should be no reason to use the T32monkeys passkey, except bonus qualification. In my case I qualified my passkey with the T32monkeys username years ago and plan on leaving my passkey as is. If you haven't qualified the T32monkeys user name to your passkey, you should use the T32monkeys passkey. If it isn't already, I think that passkey should be public.

THe team name is the most important to get right. It is T32monkeys NOT T32Monkeys. As long as EOC is used for stats ...

:confused:

I set up my FAH client using my passkey and specified 32 as the team ID. I can search team statistics at the folding web site and see mu results on http://fah-web.stanford.edu/teamstats/team32.html.

Is there something else I need to do?

thanks,
hank

Edit: David, Can you go back to your first post and enumerate the requirements to participate in the contest? I think you've done a pretty good job of describing the rules that determine which team wins (or not) but the requirements that I need to complete to contribute seem to be scattered through the thread and are not at all clear to me. Please do not assume that willing participants have any familiarity with FAH.

Last edited:
THe team name is the most important to get right. It is T32monkeys NOT T32Monkeys. As long as EOC is used for stats and they are aggregated as they were last month, there should be no reason to use the T32monkeys passkey, except bonus qualification. In my case I qualified my passkey with the T32monkeys username years ago and plan on leaving my passkey as is. If you haven't qualified the T32monkeys user name to your passkey, you should use the T32monkeys passkey. If it isn't already, I think that passkey should be public.
So to be very clear, if I get 10 WUs done using "T32moneys" and my passkey all will be good, correct? Or alternatively, I can use passkey David set up for T32 monkeys?

I don't see why I care, so I'll likely use the T32 passkey.

The reason I use my passkey is that Stanford maintains a stats db based on the passkey. I can look up my passkey and see that I've donated something like 3,494,546 points to T32monkeys and 1,395,949 points to Pete Scout.

Just change the name to T32monkeys NOT T32Monkeys leave team number the same and get the passkey of David. Then you're ready to fling poo :D
Where do you change the name? I don't recall seeing that anywhere in my setup. Is that part of the FAH setup or part of some third party monitoring app? Is that required to participate in the contest.

I've spent time getting my machine (both CPU and GPU) up on FAH and I don't even know if I'm part of the contest.

And my questions continue to go unanswered.

Hi guys, I was at a symposium outwith the University all day yesterday and couldn't get internet access. I'll amend the first post to make things clearer.

As for the passkey, does anyone have any strong objections to making it public? If we start running into the 80% complete issue I'm sure we'll be able to tell someone is playing silly buggers, and report them to Stanford (who will not take well to people messing with their research).

Can I please have the passkey? Got my setup ready, just in the nick of time :)

You have a PM.

David, a few things:

1. The top post says that using the T32 passkey is optional. You have to read this whole thread to find out it's required for T32 to get credit for SMP WUs. Can you please clarify this in the first post.

The passkey is only required to get bigadv bonuses, as far as I'm aware you don't need it for SMP bonuses (if you do, someone please correct me). EDIT: I checked, this is incorrect!

2. There are instructions in the first post. Could you please clearly tell people what they need to do to fold for T32 (ex: 'Change your user name to "T32Monkeys" and change your passcode if you're folding SMP WUs. Please ask me if you need the passcode.') I'm concerned that the optional passcode is going to cause some confusion.

I've edited the post. Is it clear enough? If not, I can try to clear it up some more.

3. Let me know if you need help getting 10 SMP WUs completed.

I plan to switch my rigs over tonight, so if a few people switch early we should burn through 10 in no time, if you'd like to help :)

Edit: David, Can you go back to your first post and enumerate the requirements to participate in the contest? I think you've done a pretty good job of describing the rules that determine which team wins (or not) but the requirements that I need to complete to contribute seem to be scattered through the thread and are not at all clear to me. Please do not assume that willing participants have any familiarity with FAH.

Does the first post make more sense now? Getting FaH set up can be a fiddle sometimes, for newer team members, so I've directed people to start a thread if they're stuck.

So to be very clear, if I get 10 WUs done using "T32moneys" and my passkey all will be good, correct? Or alternatively, I can use passkey David set up for T32 monkeys?

I don't see why I care, so I'll likely use the T32 passkey.

Yes. If you do your own 10 SMP WUs on that passkey, you'll qualify for bigadv bonuses, or you can use our shared one.

Is there anything special I have to do to donate to both T32 and T32Monkeys???

Just change the name to T32monkeys NOT T32Monkeys leave team number the same and get the passkey of David. Then you're ready to fling poo :D

Where do you change the name? I don't recall seeing that anywhere in my setup. Is that part of the FAH setup or part of some third party monitoring app? Is that required to participate in the contest.

In the setup for Folding@Home there is a space for a username/donor name and a space for team number. To be part of the contest you need to set the username to T32monkeys which is, as the_cultie has pointed out, case sensitive. The team should be set to 32.

Hank, in your earlier post:
Code:
User name [Anonymous]? HankB
Team Number [0]? 32

If you change the User name to T32monkeys and put in our passkey, you will then be joining in with the contest :). Start folding@home with the -configonly flag as you did before.

Last edited:
Back