• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

clb modem + PC + Mac

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Matrix78

is there an easy way to do this??? other than haveing a router multiple NIC card's in the PC and buying extra software????

right now i have the Surfboard 4200 cbl Modem, i have a NIC in the PC and Mac. . . i "DO" have an extra Nic card laying around i just dont really wana put it in, but.... and i have a hub... when i first installed the modem both of the computers accualy loged on to the net but then a few hours later the Mac stoped useing it now i can only hook one up to the net at a time... something to know.... now when the PC is hooked up it has one IP address and when the Mac is hooked up it has a diff IP address, but they are always the same as in if i hook the PC up unhook it hook up the mac and then hook the PC back up the PC gets its Old IP address back ?????????

thanx for any help... i've searched online a lil bit and everything seems to point to using a router or setting the PC up as a server or installing some software to make them talk to each other. . . i dont care if they can see each other or not jsut so long as they can access the internet together... i can always set up a FTP or WWW if i need to transfer something from on to the other ;)

thanx again!!

You have a bunch of options.

The easiest would to buy a cable/dsl router and use that. The other option is to install the other nic, and install a "proxy program" that would allow the mac to access the internet.

Call your ISP. Ask them how many IP addresses you get. If you get more than 1 IP address, than you can use your hub and hook up the mac like you were. If not, you can purchase another IP address and use the hub (usually not worth it).

Check out this guide:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=124165

I just got my Linksys router for 30 bucks.
This would be the easiest way.
Analog proxy is free. If installed on the pc then the mac would use the PC address as the proxy on port 6588 for rhe browser.
If you had an extra NIC and XP on the PC then XP could share the connection.

setting up a system as a proxy requires it to be on for the other to use the net.

buying a cable/dsl router requires it to only be on for either system to use the net.

I have one and it works great

well this PC is just ablut always on, i'm only trying to do this cause my sister wants to us the net on her POS Mac, the only thing i can figure out is why it workd for a few hours with the Modem, PC, & Mac hooked to the hub but now it wont work ??

how many ip's does the service give? mine only gives one per modem (charter) so I need a router for both computers

Back