• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

clocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

andyl33t

I have a p4 3.00 ghz processor, i have it clocked to 3.4 ghz with stock cooling, i will try to clock it higher but it may not boot. If it ismt booting is this known as instable? Also how would i increase the volts to make it stable?
How many more mhz would the cpu go up by if i increase the volts?
Sorry if this has been asked before.

also im using a gigabyte ga-8ipe1000 pro2.

There is no magic formula in overclocking. You'll have to up you voltage and FSB as you go, and test for stability (loop benchmarks, Prime 95, ect). I'm going to assume you have a Northwood, and as such cooling isn't as big of a deal as with a prescott, so you might hit ~3.6 on stock cooling. What memory do you have, cause that could be your limiting factor unless you use dividers and/or loosen timings (or have high end memory of course). With Prescott i wouldn't go above 1.5v actual on the voltage. With a Northwood i wouldn't go past 1.65v actual, and even that is pushing it on default air.

can you give me a link on telling me how to do all this in detail plz.
I have some cheap-*** 2 x hynix ddr333 pc2700 memory

andyl33t said:
can you give me a link on telling me how to do all this in detail plz.
I have some cheap-*** 2 x hynix ddr333 pc2700 memory

There are some good threads in this forum explaining basics in overclocking. A specific link i don't have.

That memory is going to really hold you back. You're gonna need the 3:2 divider if you want to push that stuff at all. I would say this is a good time to upgrade :santa:

Some screenshots:

specs1ew.jpg

It will effect what kind of clock the CPU can obtain. You're running a 5:4 (or 80% that of the CPU FSB) right now, and at 181MHz that's a good clock for that memory (it's only rated to 166 x 2). I would guess that's what is holding you back right now. You also have some room for a voltage bump. 1.6v actual is more than safe to run on a Northwood.

ive been trying to up the voltage from the bios but i dunno how to!!! Ive been on all the menus but theres nothing on voltage. Is there a program i can run that will let me do this through windows?

Not an effective one. You're gonna need to use the BIOS, and without actually seeing it, i really can't offer a lot of help unfortunately. Maybe posting in the Motherboard forum with your specific board will offer some help. It really should be rather easy though, ussually the first screen within the BIOS. But without seeing it i would be guessing. Sorry.

Thanks. i might upgrade the mobo as it is kinda rubbish.
but if i get to it i will put the voltage to 1.5v and then try to clock the cpu more.

I think 1.5v is the Northwood default, that wouldn't be much of a jump. Try 1.55v and higher :p

I would first invest in some better memory. But in the mean time, settle for a 3:2 divider, or leave it where you're at. That is a good clock all things considered.

Default air, i wouldn't push over 1.65v at any point. Probably be best to stay around the 1.6-1.625 mark as your max actual voltage. That's the general rule of thumb for air cooling, even more so on stock cooler.

Download Prime95 and run the torture test until it reboots or error, or for ~6 hours without error. That or run some benchmarks looped, or play your fav. game for an hour, if it can pass that, it's stable. I personally don't use Prime or benchmarks to test, i just load the proggies i use, and if it'll run them for a few hours without fail, it's stable enough for me. That's just what most others use.

how much do you think i can get the fsb to with it being stable? and also i will have the voltage at 1.6v. Will i get to 4ghz?

andyl33t said:
how much do you think i can get the fsb to with it being stable? and also i will have the voltage at 1.6v. Will i get to 4ghz?

Again there is no magic formula for overclocking. What it comes down to is your hardware, and more importantly, LUCK. With a good motherboard, memory that isn't gonna hold you back (ie: PC-4000+, or dividers), good power supply, great cooling, lots of luck 4.0 is possible on the 3.0C, but not common, and esspecially not on air, default air no less. I'll predict you max out at most around the ~3.7ish mark, maybe 3.85ish if you have the 30 capper stepping CPU and good cooling. My 3.0C when i had it maxed at 3.7, just shy of 250FSB. There is no way to know until you try it, simple as that.

Back