• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CM GX750 + 290 Tri-x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

onur_v

To describe the whole situation that I'm currently in, I will start from the first problem.

I bought my rig at the beginning of 2013 (January), the components initially were:
ASUS z77 mobo, 7970 Dual-X, CM Haf 912 Advanced (hence the GX750 PSU), i7 3770, ssd+hdd, and a 1000VA Powercom UPS - 600W output power)

As soon as I installed games such as Shogun 2, I realized checker type artifacts from time to time but thought they were somehow game related though as I began to play more games I experienced artifacts more commonly than ever and as a result last December I sent the card to RMA. They said the card was faulty and would be replaced and then I upgraded to 290 Tri-x in January. But it turned out that this card also was producing similar if not the same type of artifacts and I RMA'd this one too and it is to be replaced next week.

During playing games generally GPU-z is active and I saw that under load the 12V rail supplied near 11V potentials. My question is that is there any probability that my PSU had been damaging the GPUs (as I've recently found out that this series is rubbish) that I've had or is it more likely to be a result of AMD having high rates of failures for 290 and 7900 series in general?

I also have a GPU-z log that shows the 12V potential delivered at 11.50V on load even in short bursts and the average value is around 11.63V. This gave me the impression that PSU is indeed performing below the level that this machine requires.

Both cards began to display artifacts more frequently after I attempted some light overclocks (290 began 1 day after I purchased the card).

Here are the videos that I recorded when the 7970 was present:

P.S.:be careful when opening the videos, the volume might be higher than expected.

I would appreciate any ideas.

Back