• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Code Blue emergency. 25% hit to my 3DMark 01 score

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sliver

Hardware:

Athlon 64 3000+ Venice (Socket 754) OCed to 2.4 GHz
Asus K8N-E Motherboard
2 512 sticks of single channel RAM (DDR 400)
Saphire Radeon 9800 pro

When I was running Windows 2k pro I would get 20k on 3DMark. If I did all the tweaks and OCed the video card I could get more if I wanted but I was content with what I had.

I just switched over to Windows XP and I took a 5k hit to my 3DMark score which, as far as I'm concerned is completely unacceptable. I tried different drivers and a number of different tweaks but the score hasn't improved. Anyone have any ideas?

01 being an older benchmark was created/optimized for DX8. XP as you know is DX9 so it tends to hurt your score a little but 5K? There's more going on there than just a different OS. If your running the same card clocks then you have some differences in your processor/ram speeds & latencies, all of which are adding up to make the score that much lower. If you have an ORB compare showng both before and after we could help you track down the problem :)

Last edited:
Sliver said:
Hardware:

Athlon 64 3000+ Venice (Socket 754) OCed to 2.4 GHz
Asus K8N-E Motherboard
2 512 sticks of single channel RAM (DDR 400)
Saphire Radeon 9800 pro

When I was running Windows 2k pro I would get 20k on 3DMark. If I did all the tweaks and OCed the video card I could get more if I wanted but I was content with what I had.

I just switched over to Windows XP and I took a 5k hit to my 3DMark score which, as far as I'm concerned is completely unacceptable. I tried different drivers and a number of different tweaks but the score hasn't improved. Anyone have any ideas?

It's been seeming that with Athlons, that Windows 2000 is better than Windows XP and probably Vista.

It seems that Windows XP often sucks with Athlons.

The gap between Windows 2000 and Windows XP isn't as big with Pentium 4s.

I checked my CPU and memory speeds before I posted, they haven't changed.

EDIT: When you make a report in CPU-Z is "Graphic Interface AGP" supposed to be included in part of the report? Because it isn't when I make one.

EDIT 2: I checked the GPU and memory speeds on the card and the AGP aperture and they all check out.

Last edited:
I FINALLY got my system fixed. (Stupid GART drivers wouldn't work and knee-capped my AGP bandwidth. Then the Omega drivers I installed started to do strange and unwholesome things to my games and benchmarks.)

With the GART drivers working these are what my 3DMark scores look like now.

3DMark 01 score: 19.7k
3DMark 03 score: 7k
3DMark 05 score: 3k

Back