• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coffeelake and Donutlake

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The second part is partly true. Many games are dependent on user input to control flow, and you can't multithread user input. You CAN multithread the effects of user input, though. If you've designed your AI to actually play well rather than just cheating to implement difficulty levels, in a simultaneous turn-based game where you're not supposed to know what actions everybody else took until the next turn, every AI player should be running in its own thread taking their turns at the same time. If you're writing a GUI app in any language, you're probably already using multithreading even if you don't know it; there's an "Event Dispatch Thread" that deals with diplaying the GUI and user input, and then there's the main thread that you're actually doing whatever work you have in.

The first part is not so true. If all schools from primary up did a better job of teaching logic (obviously not possible, because that would deplete various parties' gullible voter pools), and CS/IT schools did a better job of pointing out how various workloads can be separated into steps... Almost anything can be split at least to two threads if only people were taught what to look for.

I read somewhere there is a law on how much a task can be split up for faster processing, is that true?

Last edited:
The all core turbo can be important if you're looking at non-OC processors, as that'll be the state the CPU will likely be in if you're maxing it out. Intel never made it easy to find out anyway. I've seen it in documents before, but they're pdfs on their website and a pain to search for. Anandtech, at least recently, has been good at listing it. Wikipedia pages for CPUs are another possible resource.

- - - Updated - - -

Read somewhere there is a law on how much a task can be split up for faster processing, is that true?

That one?

The all core turbo can be important if you're looking at non-OC processors, as that'll be the state the CPU will likely be in if you're maxing it out. Intel never made it easy to find out anyway. I've seen it in documents before, but they're pdfs on their website and a pain to search for. Anandtech, at least recently, has been good at listing it. Wikipedia pages for CPUs are another possible resource.

- - - Updated - - -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl's_law

That one?

Yes Amdahl's law https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl's_law

Can games be completely parallelized? I would not think so since the users input would lead all the other threads.

So it looks like there is little difference between the Z270 and 370 other than USB 3.1 (big deal). Anyone know the technical differences?

Last edited:
Article is from April. Several months before release...

I can tell you all z370 boards ive covered (33) they all use asmedia asm3142 chip for usb 3.1 10 gbps...

....USB 3.1 5 Gbps...that is integrated... but there is a difference between them, obviously.

Because every desktop needs to include the bonus cost of integrated WiFi when the vast majority of desktops in the world are never on a WiFi network in their lifespan...

I don't agree: a lot of my desktops were on wifi.

Edit: on another hand, a Wifi card doesn't cost much, ;)

I don't agree: a lot of my desktops were on wifi.

Edit: on another hand, a Wifi card doesn't cost much, ;)

I said "the vast majority". Your anecdote is an eensy teensy tiny fraction of a percent :p

And the second part. I'd much rather grab a $10 PCIe card or USB stick that I can replace if the antenna connector breaks off (which they do far too often in my experience) or the chip fries itself for whatever reason than be stuck having to RMA the whole motherboard if the wifi goes out. Some things just really need to NOT be part of the motherboard chipset. Granted I can plug an extra card into that same motherboard, but I don't like leaving dead hardware in the system.

No support for USB 3.1 on the Z370 chipset according to the Intel specifications. LINK: https://ark.intel.com/products/125903/Intel-Z370-Chipset

They are being generic on the specs sheet. The Z170 and 270 mobos support USB 3.1 so obviously the 370s will as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Intel 300 series chipsets to integrate USB 3.1 Gen 2 and Gigabit WIFI

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/in...grate-usb-3-1-gen-2-and-gigabit-ethernet.html

Guru of 3D article.
Not sure what that article is talking about when it says Z270 does not support 3.1. Z270 does support 3.1, my mobo has it as do pretty much all Z270 mobos. All my USB ports are blue which is USB 3.0 and one of them is light blue and says "SS 10" which is SuperSpeed 10 GBPS which is USB 3.1 (or 3.1 version 2 for those who prefer stupid and confusing names).

As far as wifi goes, half the Z270 mobos on the market have wifi so that's not exactly something new. Not sure exactly what "gigabit" wifi is. The standard is 802.11AC 5 Ghz which is currently the fastest standard and any mobo made in the last few years will support it. Not sure how "gigabit wifi" is different from any other 802.11AC wifi card out there, especially considering none of them can actually do 1 GBPS. The theoretical max is 1.2 gbps but that requires 140 Mhz, 5 GHz, 8 steams and even then it will never happen outside a lab. In real life you're lucky if you can get 500 mbps and that's with your router sitting on top of your computer. My phone is 802.11ac and I cant even get 100 mbps from it and that's sitting right next to the router.

In other words, Z370 adds absolutely nothing of value what so ever. The wifi is a joke, nearly all mobos have it and more USB 3.1 ports are also equally worthless as there isint a single device out there that can saturate a 5 GBPS bus on USB.

Last edited:
Again, NATIVE support is there for usb3.1 5 gbps on z370. 10 gbps is only there via asmedia controller. Not all z370 boards have it so not all boards have 10 gbps support.

Also, an external ssd saturates 5 gbps. They saturate 6 gbps in SATA3... ;)

As far as naming, its not version 2, its Generation 2... still confusing.

RE: wifi, at least through the 33 boards i covered (msi, giga, ecs, evga, asrock) most DO NOT have wifi included.

Though i agree with the overall sentiment about the chipset. :)

Last edited:
Again, NATIVE support is there for usb3.1 5 gbps on z370. 10 gbps is only there via asmedia controller. Not all z370 boards have it so not all boards have 10 gbps support.

Also, an external ssd saturates 5 gbps. They saturate 6 gbps in SATA3... ;)

As far as naming, its not version 2, its Generation 2... still confusing.

RE: wifi, at least through the 33 boards i covered (msi, giga, ecs, evga, asrock) most DO NOT have wifi included.

Though i agree with the overall sentiment about the chipset. :)

looking here USB 3.0 is 5 Gbit/s https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0

Not sure what that article is talking about when it says Z270 does not support 3.1. Z270 does support 3.1, my mobo has it as do pretty much all Z270 mobos. All my USB ports are blue which is USB 3.0 and one of them is light blue and says "SS 10" which is SuperSpeed 10 GBPS which is USB 3.1 (or 3.1 version 2 for those who prefer stupid and confusing names

My Z170 mobo has a 3.1 USB port (as well as Thunderbolt). So this is what it feels like to be an Intel guy since Sandy bridge. Minimal chip improvements and series after series of chipsets that do next to nothing new over the previous chipset(s). My FX was slow but at least it was "current" for more than 6 months. LOL

That Wikipedia article seems to imply 3.1 Gen 1 is actually a new protocol above 3.0, rather than explicitly stating that it's nothing but a misleading marketing term for USB 3.0. So, if a "USB 3.1" device doesn't explicitly say "Gen 2", you can't actually trust that it supports 10 Gbps. With USB 1.0 and 1.1, you at least knew 1.0 was 1.5 Mbps and 1.1 was 12 Mbps. Now 3.1 could mean either the slower or faster versions... Marketing professionals everywhere need some sharp implements applied to their posteriors. :bang head

Last edited:
Blah, whatever, who cares. USB 3.1, 3.6, 10.0, no one gives a crap. No one is going to spend hundreds of dollars just because they get more USB 3.whatever ports. You could buy a PCI-e card and get all the USB 3.1 ports you want and you can do that on an old Core2Duo machine if you wanted. The real answer here is that the Z370 provides absolutely nothing of value and the only reason Intel released it is to force you to buy the crap. Kind of like when someone makes a proprietary part for a device and sells it at 5x higher than what it should be sold at. It's all about the $$$$, not about actual technological improvements.

Back