• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Conficker April 1 alert

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For me, if they haven't called freaking out by now, they won't :)

I came in and found "Emails are being blocked, but there are no emails in the SCM Quarantine Manager to review."

That's the extent of my morning client panic, some e-trust issue (I hate Computer Associates).

Non-event ;)

For me, if they haven't called freaking out by now, they won't :)

I came in and found "Emails are being blocked, but there are no emails in the SCM Quarantine Manager to review."

That's the extent of my morning client panic. Non-event ;)
Nice, I'm hoping nothing happens on my end >.>

I do tech support for repair facilities (for vehicles), you can just images those calls ;)

"DO WHUT NAW" is a common phrase :(
Also had a guy call in and asked me if the mouse was the "rock next to the typing thing".

Nice, I'm hoping nothing happens on my end >.>

I do tech support for repair facilities (for vehicles), you can just images those calls ;)

"DO WHUT NAW" is a common phrase :(
Also had a guy call in and asked me if the mouse was the "rock next to the typing thing".

:eek: OMG man, that really sux! LOL!

You should make a mouse that looks just like a rock using JBweld or something and give it to him. A fred flintstone-themed PC would be perfect too.

Worst event I've had so far is the NETWORK ADMIN (of all people) asking me how to create a local user on a PC. She'd done the domain stuff but had no clue on local users. Same person forgot to take out the PCI slot backplate before installing a secondary NIC and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work when she plugged it in to the onboard NIC :rolleyes::bang head

Sweet girl, just not as savvy as some :D

Worst event I've had so far is the NETWORK ADMIN (of all people) asking me how to create a local user on a PC. She'd done the domain stuff but had no clue on local users. Same person forgot to take out the PCI slot backplate before installing a secondary NIC and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work when she plugged it in to the onboard NIC :rolleyes::bang head

Sweet girl, just not as savvy as some :D

All I can say to that is... WOW!!!!!

Edit: You know, this conficker fuss reminds me of the book Daemon. Any and all IT people should read that book.. http://www.amazon.com/Daemon-Daniel...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238596642&sr=8-1

Last edited:
These virus scares never turn out to be anything to worry about. The funny thing is, half the articles you read don't even have the basic facts right.

The alleged danger today was not the risk of infection. Computers at risk have already had conficker on them for months. Rather, today is the day that conficker is supposed to "activate" from its present semi-dormant state.

The person that compared this to Y2K was right. Much ado about nada.

These virus scares never turn out to be anything to worry about. The funny thing is, half the articles you read don't even have the basic facts right.

The alleged danger today was not the risk of infection. Computers at risk have already had conficker on them for months. Rather, today is the day that conficker is supposed to "activate" from its present semi-dormant state.

The person that compared this to Y2K was right. Much ado about nada.

Well, its better to be paranoid about something and have it be nothing, than to ignore it and have it be something.

Well, its better to be paranoid about something and have it be nothing, than to ignore it and have it be something.

No it's not. :)

Being paranoid and have it be nothing increases your blood pressure and stress level (not to mention might make you spend extra money...) for absolutely no reason at all. Ignoring it, then having it be something, simply gives you the opportunity to deal with a real problem... once it BECOMES a real problem.

Being paranoid and have it be nothing increases your blood pressure and stress level (not to mention might make you spend extra money...) for absolutely no reason at all. Ignoring it, then having it be something, simply gives you the opportunity to deal with a real problem... once it BECOMES a real problem.

I dont know what YOU do for a living, but I get paid to be paranoid about such things so they NEVER get to the point of being a problem.

It's better to be proactive than reactive. You need to deal with something before it becomes a problem.

I noticed this morning that when I woke up, just like when Y2K hit, planes fell out of the sky, birds flew the wrong way, and farts didn't stink..... I'm so sick of answering the phone at work and talking with people about the bloody virus scare. I've created a *.wav file on my laptop and put the phone up to it so I don't have to say that same thing over and over all bloody day.

Rainman, I'm curious, do you believe in and practice preventive maintenance for things such as your car?

I dont know what YOU do for a living, but I get paid to be paranoid about such things so they NEVER get to the point of being a problem.

It's better to be proactive than reactive. You need to deal with something before it becomes a problem.

Rainman, I'm curious, do you believe in and practice preventive maintenance for things such as your car?

What fun would that be? I would've never learned how to install a water pump if I believed in things like 'preventative maintenance'... ;)

As for what ****I**** do for a living... I'm a writer. I get paid to make fun of what YOU do for a living. :)

What fun would that be? I would've never learned how to install a water pump if I believed in things like 'preventative maintenance'... ;)

As for what ****I**** do for a living... I'm a writer. I get paid to make fun of what YOU do for a living. :)

That explains alot :screwy: LOL!

Why don't you let the professionals talk their talk and you go write a childrens' novel or two ;) :D

AHHH... ITS THE END OF THE INTERNET AS WE KNOW IT. ITS ALL OVER CNN, MY MOM EVEN CALLED ME AND TOLD ME TO BE CAREFUL!

I don't even have a virus scanner... I don't understand how people get virus's all the time...

easily, most people just click "yes yes yes, accept accept yes yes" all day and that is how and they dont update their AV or windows, or even your favorite web sites gets attacked and injects code into your rig when you visit it.

sure many people play it safe, but even then do you really trust someone else to keep your system clean of a viruses..

Back