• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooler for overclock'd P4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Most of you are for Thermalright XP 90/120.
Since my max height is 140mm, I'd not be able to fit the 120 in.

I got another question: when a CPU cooler's fan has 4 pin plug and on my motherboard there's a 3pin connector. Will I be able just to connect it? Will it fit? Or I will have to buy a 4 pin to 3pin converter cable?

Not a problem at all, the fourth pin is just PWM, and if it isn't connected the fan just runs at full blast (or by voltage control).

The XP120 is more then 140mm tall?

XP-90, it's not the copper, like I had spoken of before, and it is on the bay. But it looks to be coming from Performance PC's. I am having a hard time finding the XP-90C, so I am guessing the people that have them, may not want to get rid of them just yet. The performance of the Copper version is right on par with the Ultra-120A.

Most of you are for Thermalright XP 90/120.
Since my max height is 140mm, I'd not be able to fit the 120 in.

The XP120 is more then 140mm tall?

Bobnova is correct - algram might be thinking of the Ultra-120 (or the TRUE) which is a front-to-back type "Tower" heatsink and is quite tall, where the XP120 still blows down onto the CPU and has a very low profile (about the same height as the stock Intel HSF). The XP120 is a larger-footprint version of the XP90. I run my XP120 in a mATX case - no clearance issues whatsoever - and I still have room for a side 120mm case fan on the side-panel (blows cool air directly into the XP120 and then the air also blows over the NB Sink for extra NB cooling)

I believe the XP-120 would beat a copper XP-90C, but don't quote me on that. I'd certainly opt for the XP120 if you want to eventually use it on a Q6600, etc...

:cool:

XP-90, it's not the copper, like I had spoken of before, and it is on the bay. But it looks to be coming from Performance PC's. I am having a hard time finding the XP-90C, so I am guessing the people that have them, may not want to get rid of them just yet. The performance of the Copper version is right on par with the Ultra-120A.

Yep, I can corroborate that the XP90-C is in the same league as the Ultra 120-A in cooling as I also own one myself (as well as also owning an U-120-A too). I found it to be more effective a hsf than the SI-120 I used to own and it's performance is quite a bit better than the regular aluminum/copper base XP90. BTW, I do have the LGA775 conversion kit for it too and used to run it on an [email protected]. I had a 92 X 38 mm Delta 3 blade fan on it that was effective and relatively quiet for the amount of air it pushed. The sound you did hear from the 3 blade fan was low pitched and not bothersome. The only problem is finding one nowadays as they aren't in production and people tend to hold onto them instead of selling them.

Yep, I can corroborate that the XP90-C is in the same league as the Ultra 120-A in cooling as I also own one myself (as well as also owning an U-120-A too). I found it to be more effective a hsf than the SI-120 I used to own and it's performance is quite a bit better than the regular aluminum/copper base XP90. BTW, I do have the LGA775 conversion kit for it too and used to run it on an [email protected]. I had a 92 X 38 mm Delta 3 blade fan on it that was effective and relatively quiet for the amount of air it pushed. The sound you did hear from the 3 blade fan was low pitched and not bothersome. The only problem is finding one nowadays as they aren't in production and people tend to hold onto them instead of selling them.

Actually, I think it was you, mudd, who recommended I try my XP-90C when I posted a thread about what I should use to cool my Q6600 right before I built this rig. I ended up with a lapped Ultra 120-A with dual high speed Yates in push pull and couldn't be happier with it. On the XP-90C, I have a Sanyo Denki Mini Ace 32, 92x32mm fan, and it is quiet as can be, and keeps the P4 530j nice and cool. I never got the chance to put the XP-90C on the quad rig, but I suspect I wouldn't get as good of temps as the U120 with the push pull.

I'm not sure you're talking about the same HSF, this is the 120 we're talking about here:
xp-120_profile.jpg

A TRUE120 is too tall i believe.

thanks for the opinions!

has anybody encountered the Vantec Aeroflow FX92 cooler?

I'm pretty sure I sold my xp-90 here in classifieds a few years back :p

8mm heatpipes go a long way towards making an ok cooler a good cooler. 6mm is just too small, even if you have a bunch of 'em.

Back