• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core i7-920 D0 with Corsair H70 vs. TRUE 120

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
h70dom.jpg

Dear Fellow Brothers of OCForums.com. Just wanted to wish everyone a happy belated new year and holidays. Most of you know I have been gone and out of the loop for almost 2 years now. Well, I did a favor for my Aunt and Uncles PC for the holidays and upgraded there cooling system to the new Corsair H70. They decided agains a custom loop and asked me for something entry level into water, but slightly better than there TRUE setup so I made the H70 recommendation. Initially when I built there PC I used a TRUE120with dual Noctua SF12 in push/pull. So, I will give you a comparison of the results. We are pleasantly surprised at the results here in all honesty. I initially built his rig with your standard 4.0 Ghz D0 overclock in mind, and he has been using it flawlessly for over a year a 4Ghz, albeit very high air temps, but flawlessly indeed.​

QUICK NOTES:
--System Config--
***hyperthreading is DISABLED on his PC, he is a gamer.***
CPU: Core i7-920 D0
Ram: Corsair Dominator GT-1866 C7
Mobo: Asus P6T-Deluxe V1
PSU: Corsair HX620
GPU: Sapphire 5870
-I did not use Linx for testing, I used Prime95, so although these arent Maximum Pressure Stressed results, they are blended cpu/mem results and not total maximum temp. On my own PC I would use Linx, but I felt since they have been running flawlessly at 4Ghz on air for over 1 year now, Prime95 is all I would need for a homeowner. This is a homeowners PC, and they only use it for photos/video/music/ and gaming so I just ran Prime95 overnight last night for 12 hours passing, and just ran it for 30 minutes or so now to give you a screenshot of basic loaded temps. ** All temps are averages from the testing.
-I do not have screenshots of the TRUE results but I have averages that my uncle Rick had marked down from my initial build and from his own personal pre-corsair h70 review. In any event, the gains are to his liking. Ambient temperatures were always 70*F in the computer/work room without any variations ever. :)
20 X 200 . 4.0 GHz @ 1.32vcore both with the TRUE and the H70, so everything was identical both before and after the testing, so like a car all we did was swap 1 part for another part and turned the key. I chose to configure the Corsair H70 Radiator with 2 fans in push/pull intaking the cold air from outside the back of the case, pushing it through the radiator and dumping into the enclosed case, than I changed the configuration of my fans around and used the two old Noctua SF12 fans (which are excellent fans taken off of his TRUE setup) and used them to empty the hot air from the case and spit it out of the top of the case. Thankfully I have dual top fan slots on the case which helps out with this new setup trememndously otherwise we wouldve been simply dumping hot air right into the case over the memory and mobo and heating up average temps in general over time. Strangely this is corsairs recommendation, pulling cold air into the case through the rad. In my mind, this only works if you have an ample exhaust configuration like so.

TRUE120 Extreme with push/pull Noctuas
Average Idle Temps (1.32v 4Ghz) : 46*C
Average Loaded Temps (1.32v 4Ghz) : 83*C
Prime95 was used, regular blended stress test. Nothing too crazy was used. Just your average Prime95 blend to heat everything up a bit.

Corsair H70 with Dual Corsair Stock Fans @ 2000rpm HIGH setting PUSH/PULL
Average Idle Temps (1.32v 4Ghz) : 38*C
Average Loaded Temps (1.32v 4Ghz) : 69*C over 12 hours
Prime95 was used, regular blended stress test. Nothing too crazy was used. Just your average Prime95 blend to heat everything up a bit. Note that screenshot is not 12 hours, ss is only a quick 30 minute load burst to show you guys the numbers quickly:

corsair1.jpg

Decrease in idle Temps vs. True: 38*C vs. 46*C, 8*C Decrease.
Decrease in Loaded Temps Vs. True: 69*C over 12 hours vs. 83*C over 12 hours, 14 degree decrease.

And finally, just for craps I did the stock 2.66 Ghz Core i7-920 D0 temps, sorry guys no screenshot on this one.:
Corsair H70 with Dual Corsair Stock Fans @ 2000rpm HIGH setting

Average Idle Temps (1.10v 2.66GHz) : 27*C
Average Loaded Temps (1.10v 2.66 GHz) : 44*C loaded for 30 minutes
Prime95 was used, regular blended stress test. Nothing too crazy was used. Just your average Prime95 blend to heat everything up a bit.

In conclusion, my family is very happy with the cost to performance of this little water cooling kit. It took me all of 20 minutes to install it, testing took 2 days but all in all it was definitely worth the money for them. I paid 109.99 at Microcenter *edit. The best part about the install for TRUE owners is the TRUE120 backplate actually works perfectly for the H70 mount so I was real happy about not taking the whole rig apart to simply install the radiator and water block. Thats why the install only took me 20 minutes or so. Another thing I noticed is the size of the single radiator is tremendous, I dont think I remember seeing anything this big, it is much bigger than the H50 thats for sure. In any event, my aunt and uncle are now cruising at the same speed but approximately 15 degrees C cooler when loaded and playing games which is what they requested. 83*C was not an acceptable temperature for them, so I took a chance on the H70 and it seems to have worked out so far. Lets keep our fingers crossed. Well, thanks for reading guys/gals. As far as further testing, thats it fellas, on his rig I am done for now. Mission accomplished. To all my old buddies, hope all is well!
Cheers,
Dominick

Last edited:
That is some really high temps you are showing there... What where the ambient temps at the time you where testing?

That is some really high temps you are showing there... What where the ambient temps at the time you where testing?

My ambient temps are always around 70*F.
Honest to god, 80*C load is what I got @ 4GHz on every single i7-920 D0 or C0 that I have ever owned or tested, and I have owned a lot. 920's run hot on air cooling at 4GHz my brother. You know that it is overclocked right? Which temps are you referring to being hot? The WC temps I thought were excellent.

-D

All chips run different temps. I would agree that alot of 4ghz D0 w/ about 23c ambient usually hit about 80c (atleast from my testing and what Ive seen). Alot of the reviews dont give ambient temperatures, which make a huge difference. Generally speaking, you want to look at a review on a delta differential between the coolers rather than actual temps as that shows cooling performance.

Not only that, they were running 166x20 which is only 3.3ghz. Most likely thats STOCK voltage which would be the reason why temps are what they are.

Im glad you posted this Dominick. Ive been a huge supporter of the H50 w/ AFTERMARKET push/pull quality fans. I too had the TRUE before my H50 and my testing revealed the same. The H50 w/ aftermarket push/pull (same fans used on the TRUE) make it perform. Stock fan is garbage and it wont hang with a TRUE.

I'm running a loop w/ a XSPC RX360 rad with low speed yate loons.

I just finished this thing and I'm getting 40c idle temps and 62c load temps. Based off of what you guys are saying on this thread I'm feeling like I should be getting significantly lower temps. Is it the fact im running low speed fans? I mounted the waterblock onto the CPU fine (block is a swiftech apogee XT)

:(

Yeah i know it's overclocked, I just think that the temps are higher than what I have seen in reviews all around. Take a look at the TRUE review, they are also testing it on a 4Ghz OC: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/thermalright_ultra120_extreme_revc/4.htm
:)

Hey man, thanks for your review brother. Two quick things to note, you had stated they tested an overclocked 920 @ 4.0GHz, if you take a good look they actually used only 3.33 GHz which is a TREMENDOUS difference bc everyone knows 3.80 to 4.0GHz++ is when the temps skyrocket on 920's. Also, they did not bump vcore any notches at all, so combine those two things and you have very low thermal output when compared to my test, you cannot call that a valid comparsion. I hear what you are saying, but I think many people forget how hot these 920's run. I have been through about 5 or 6 920's over the years, check out my main review thread from 2years ago here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604784 I have been through about 4 920's in that thread. lol

In any event, throughout my own testing, as well as many people on this forum the 920's , when overclocked to 4.0GHz +, as well as when using more than 1.30vcore, when using air cooling, OR high end air cooling such as a TRUE very commonly get 80*C+, when loaded for hours , linx or prime95. As a matter of fact, evey single one of my old 920's whether it be a C0, or a D0 at 4.0 GHz, all was between 75 and 85*C loaded at 1.3v and above. Which I definitely agree with you, dont get me wrong is EXTREMELY high for my liking. But, it just turns out that when pushing these 920's to 4.0 Ghz PLUS on air cooling, after that point they heat up real fast, 80*C is something you are more than likely going to see, especially with my ambients and above and all in all it is just something I/w have grown to be accustomed with. 6 years ago 80*C loaded core temps wouldve scared the bejeesus out of most. :)
As a matter of fact, my own golden 920 that is in my gaming rig runs 4.59 GHz with HT enabled linx stable 24 hours which is a feat in itself on a TRUE Rev. C with push/pull noctuas and that has an 83*C loaded temp. Hot Hot Hot indeed, but my point is that is the nature of the game with Core i7-920's over 4.0 GHz.

In regards to the artical you posted. My test was using an original TRUE , the article was using a Rev. C newer HSF. Also, they are only overclocked to 3.33 Ghz and they did not add vcore. I am overclocked to 4.0 Ghz at 1.32 vcore which is a trememndous bump in heat and thermal output to the heatsink/block over the article. I am not sure if you took that into account. If I clocked that processor down to the exact settings as the article 3.33 GHz and a low nominal vcore I actually would probably beat it at around 44*C. They got 52*C loaded on the TRUE rev c at 3.33 GHz, no bump in vcore. I got 44*C loaded,no bump in vcore at stock frequency, pretty sure 3.33 GHz wouldve been had with little to no increase in temps based on my 2 day trials with the unit. :) If that article you posted actually had 4.0 GHz and 1.32vcore like myself, you would be shocked at the numbers you wouldve seen-no joke, most people are shocked when they start playing around with higher OC's and vcore on the 920's. If the article was 1.32v and 4.0 Ghz, you would probably see variations of between 72*C and 100*C failing on the cheaper HSF's listed. hehe :) all LOL'ing aside lets move on.

Thanks again for your response and the article. I hope I didnt come off abrasive or anything dude, thats why I dont like message boards sometimes. I am actually a really cool guy, but my MOUTH to KEYBOARD translation sometimes doesnt work out as planned. lol In any event, from my experience over the years , the 69*C average loaded temps on a 4.0+ GHz 920 overclock is heaven to me! Especially when I am used to 75 to 85*C over the years. lol

Cheers brother! :grouphug:

Also, another quick note to remember. The Corsair H70 is not to be confused with high end WC, the actual Corsair H50 and H70 were created with one purpose in mind, to put up a decent fight against higher end air cooling on the market. When comparing the H70/H50 with triple 120mm rad custom water loops, there is not even a comparison. lol For my aunt and uncle it is the perfect weapon, it beat out the original TRUE in the system and runs 15C cooler under loaded gaming.

Last edited:
All chips run different temps. I would agree that alot of 4ghz D0 w/ about 23c ambient usually hit about 80c (atleast from my testing and what Ive seen). Alot of the reviews dont give ambient temperatures, which make a huge difference. Generally speaking, you want to look at a review on a delta differential between the coolers rather than actual temps as that shows cooling performance.

Not only that, they were running 166x20 which is only 3.3ghz. Most likely thats STOCK voltage which would be the reason why temps are what they are.

Im glad you posted this Dominick. Ive been a huge supporter of the H50 w/ AFTERMARKET push/pull quality fans. I too had the TRUE before my H50 and my testing revealed the same. The H50 w/ aftermarket push/pull (same fans used on the TRUE) make it perform. Stock fan is garbage and it wont hang with a TRUE.

Thanks for the response Doz. You are absolutely right man. All chips run at different temps. I have found that most 920 c0 or d0's will encroach 75 to 80*C when using air cooling in most cases when the 4.0 GHz envelope is pushed and 1.30v plus is used. And I agree, the article has no bump in vcore, and no pump in thermal watts at all because of the low 3.33 Ghz freq, that is why the temperatures are so great on the air coolers in that article, invalidating a comparison completely to my testing. I have just grown used to the high temps over the years on air cooling that is why this 69*C average to me is so great on low end water cooling using the H70. I honestly went into this install thinking it would be equal to or only slightly better than the TRUE, boy were we surprised. It is real nice hearing from you man, it has been much too long.

Dom

Yeah, I have 2 38mm Deltas on mine running at 5v so they arent loud. If my computer is clean (no dust, we have alot of dust and stuff here so once monthly I blow it out), then P95 will load right now about 56c as ambient temps are down around 19-20c w/ my i5-750 @ 4ghz.

When I had my TRUE, under the same sames and voltage, temps were about 10c higher.

And agreed, havent seen you around much lately, good to see you post :D

I'm running a loop w/ a XSPC RX360 rad with low speed yate loons.

I just finished this thing and I'm getting 40c idle temps and 62c load temps. Based off of what you guys are saying on this thread I'm feeling like I should be getting significantly lower temps. Is it the fact im running low speed fans? I mounted the waterblock onto the CPU fine (block is a swiftech apogee XT)

:(

If you are running an i7-920 D0 or C0, than those temps are very good if your system is overclocked. To give you an idea, when stock 2.66 GHz, my H70 idles in the high 20's, and loaded up to around 42 to 44*C. So, if those are stock temps for a custom water loop I would like to know a little more.

920's run hot when overclocked. Without getting into your signature I dont want to make assumptions on your hardware. What is your clockspeed? What is your vcore? Ambient temperature of the room?

Cheers,
Dom

First of all, I appriciate the reply since this isnt my thread.

I'm not running my h70 anymore. I am using a Swiftech apogree XT block w/ an xspc rx360 rad and an xspc res w/ a ddc pump.

I'm running low speed yates (1350) on the rad in push config. Ambient in my room is 23c on average.

First of all, I appriciate the reply since this isnt my thread.

I'm not running my h70 anymore. I am using a Swiftech apogree XT block w/ an xspc rx360 rad and an xspc res w/ a ddc pump.

I'm running low speed yates (1350) on the rad in push config. Ambient in my room is 23c on average.

No problem at all man. So your clockspeed is 4.4 GHz? with a 23C ambient temperature on a custom water loop? If that information is correct than your temps are absolutely pristine and perfect for a custom water loop. They are better than I ever wouldve asked for with a 4.4 GHz i7 overclock on water. I am assuming you are using a Core i7-950 cpu correct? If so, the overclock is excellent, the temps are excellent, and I love the setup! You have nothing to worry about at all. Hopefully that puts you at ease. lol

Dom

Thats a nice temp difference.

Though it does seem to run warm there, but hes using more voltage than I am to run 4.2Ghz and im running 74C or so load, with LinX. Not bad considering that I haven't cleaned my computer in a bit. Ambient is cooler @ 65F right now, and the other question is what is the humidity? Im sure if its high that will give off higher temps as well.

Though really do love the difference in the coolers. Thanks for showing it!

Back