• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diggingforgold

I have folding set up on two of my other systems in the house, all running winXP pro. Now I want to set it up on my computer (specs below). I get a windows error saything that core_65.exe has experienced a problem and will be closed.

I checked the console and its going thorugh a continuous loop. Error, download new core, fold, error, download new core, fold.... It goes on for all eternity until Im fed up and i close.

Anyone know why its doing this and how to fix it?

EDIT: BTW- I've repeatedly deleted and downloaded a fresh copy of the console numerous times. Doesnt want to work.

Alright DFG I had heard of this happening before, especially to the guys @ OCAU. Not that it happens to them more, they just talk about it more since they all have crappy broadband setups with transfer limits etc..

Has your machine passed a 24 hour prime95 stability test?
Does the problem still happen at stock speed?
How high is your PCI bus OC/d?

Let me try with no overclock. I will restart and let you know what happens.

EDIT: as far as the oc stability, not prime95, but i have been working this thing really hard, and gaming for hours. The machine hasnt yet been ran for 24-hours strait, but I'm positive its stable, and it should have no problem if i were to burn in for 24. It was stable at a higher fsb speed, but i lowered it because im still using stock cooling, and I dont want to risk overheating. Anyhoo, i will clock it back to norm and then try to download a fresh copy of the folding app.

I'll let you know whats up then.

Last edited:
Well, I set my speed back to stock. System is running normal at 1.667MHz with FSB at 133MHz. My CPU is at 100% so I know its doing some type of folding. Its been running for a few minutes now- I have two frames finished, so yeah, its doing fine. Before I would have got about 5 errors by now, nothing yet. Seems to be running smooth.

But why the problem with a 107MHz overclock? It's not anything major, and temps stuck around 45C. PCMark testing fine multiple times at 1.774GHz, perfectly stable. I wonder what the problem was. O well. Overclock+Bragging rights/ Fold with no overclock. I think I will stick with folding until this is figured out.

Anyway, I guess the problem is solved, except now I think its an overclock issue, not a folding issue.

It definitely sounds like an overclock problem. Are you using the retail hsf that comes with an XP? Any AMD retail hsf is a POS in my opinion. Get you a SLK800 or MCX462+ and give it a try. That Soyo mobo uses a socket thermistor, if I'm not mistaken, and your actual cpu temps are probably quite a bit higher than what the socket thermistor shows. I know that my XP's in the boards that use a socket thermistor aren't totally stable once they start reading around 45 C or so, especially with Gromacs WU's.

On the 2 XP2000's in my dual, they will run stable @ 1800 with Tinker WU's but I have to back them off to 1750 for the Gromacs WU's to fold totally stable.

DFG, what MUD said :) If you don't want to drop the $45 for a Thermalright SLK-800 or $44 for the Swiftech MCX462+ Thermalright AX-7's only cost $27 + a fan. As you can see in my sig I'm using two AX-7s with 53 cfm variable speed 80mm fans. Only 41dba fully spun up :)

Fever, beg, borrow or steal $52 or so and get you an XP1600 from Newegg. The pally is a lot harder to crush than a T-bird and folds Gromacs a lot better than a Tbird.

Im a bit confused. My system is perfectly stable, and 42C is stock speed, stock hs, and just surfing the internet, no heavy use. Loaded its at 45C or so it says- and its perfectly stable. Max temp I ever encounted was 47C and thats when i only had one case fan installed (overclocked).

More money poured into this is what I dont need. I just got out of debt, and I have about $6 in my wallot to live on until... well friday. Sounds like im gonna be eating a whole lot of ramond noodles and water for the week ):

I might go water cooled (haha if i get some money soon) so I will hold off on the new HS until I figure out whats gonna happen there. Air can only take so much heat away.

Is there some other low cost method of cooling that we are looking over? I'm gonna go surfing for mechines and stuff that gets hot (not related to computers), and see the methods of cooling they use out there- see if it can be applied in some way to chips.

Anyhoo- Thermalright SLK-800? Comes with fan? Does it sound like an airport when i push the power button? $45 +fan... i should go for water. Pry the heater core off my 89 grand marquis and get to work. hehe.... ..... ...... ....... ........ u know that sounds like a good idea. Im actually thinking if that would work...

Back