• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair TWIN 3200LL or OCZ 3500 Dual CHannel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
And I'd REALLY like to find that article I was reading! :mad:

It showed the difference between the matched pair of Corsair XMS vs. two random (same spec) sticks of Corsair XMS. The matched pair managed to get a LITTLE bit more performance, not night and day, but enough for it not to be considered a margin of error.

Now I don't know if the two random sticks were Low Latency or not. That could make a difference.

I would not get a TWIN if they charge more than twice the price of a signle module.

I just check the price of Corsair on googlegear, it looks like TWIN = 2 x single in terms of price.

But for OCZ 3500 EL, price for 512MB = $149, price for TWIN 512MB = $362, a premium of $64 or 21% !!! I would not pay for that 21% for 3% performance matching.

There is always minor difference between memory timing, but that is what process variation is about. I would not want to pay a big premium of them.

Imagine one module is dead, would they RMA both for you. How are you going to find the matching twin.

The hard drive manufacturers should begin to sell TWIN drives for RAID.

We should look for TWIN monitors for dual display video card, ...

Of course a twin pack would cost twice of a single stick....that's 2 sticks versus one!

OCZ's PC3200 matched pair is $300 from newegg, Corsair's PC3200LL matched pair is $338. That's for a 1GB pack (2x512MB).

Also, a single Corsair PC3200LL stick (512MB) through newegg is $173. $173x2 = $346, so you're actually saving money, and gaining a guarantee that the sticks will work together, with low timings, all the way to 200MHz.

Back