• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair VX450 $40 shipped aftr $30 MIR @ Newegg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadMan007

Magical Leopluridon Senior
Newegg promo letter today has the Corsair VX450 for $40 after $30 MIR with $10 promo code EMCLRPL33. That is the lowest I've *ever* seen that PSU although it may have been this price at one time, lowest I've seen was $50.

It was $30 AMIR on buy.com a year ago, but $40 is the best I've seen in quite a while. Awesome PSU for that price.

This is a good deal. I have a Fortron AX500-A that I'm looking to replace due to lack of SATA power connectors. Do you think this Corsair PSU is sufficient for a Core i7 system with mid-range video card (4870 or similar) and moderate overclocking?

Absolutely. In fact, this PSU is plenty for an i7 system and a high end video card, just not a multi-GPU setup.

Do you think this Corsair PSU is sufficient for a Core i7 system with mid-range video card (4870 or similar) and moderate overclocking?

This is a good deal, but if your planning overclocked i7 plus, i would go with something with alittle more beef.

Currently folding with i7 920's on Biostar X58's and @ 4Ghz full load (just board, chip & ram btw) my ups reports 300 watt draw.

This is a good deal, but if your planning overclocked i7 plus, i would go with something with alittle more beef.

Currently folding with i7 920's on Biostar X58's and @ 4Ghz full load (just board, chip & ram btw) my ups reports 300 watt draw.
4.0 GHz is what I would consider an aggressive overclock. :) Somebody posted an article a while back that showed a ridiculous increase in power consumption when the i7 920 is pushed beyond 3.7 GHz. (Here it is: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-core-i7,2268-10.html) To me, the few hundred extra MHz is not worth an extra ~150W of power consumption! I think I'll be okay with the 450W PSU as long as I stick to my "moderate" overclock that doesn't require a monster power draw.

4.0 GHz is what I would consider an aggressive overclock. :) Somebody posted an article a while back that showed a ridiculous increase in power consumption when the i7 920 is pushed beyond 3.7 GHz. (Here it is: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-core-i7,2268-10.html) To me, the few hundred extra MHz is not worth an extra ~150W of power consumption! I think I'll be okay with the 450W PSU as long as I stick to my "moderate" overclock that doesn't require a monster power draw.

Fair enough :beer: Just saying what i've experienced with the i7.

The rebate is one of those visa check cards so don't think you are getting a check back in the mail. Other than that it is a good deal!

Hmm, didn't notice that. Oh well, it's all the same to me. $30 less on my credit card bill is $30 more in my checking account. :)

Which means the PSU is putting out around 250 watts, give or take a few, depending on efficiency. Plenty of headroom to add a video card and a couple hard drives.

I wouldnt run a Corsair 450VX on a moderately overclocked i7 rig either. 4Ghz at 1.45v shows it putting out 300W+! Add a modern videocard into that and you have a problem. Not enough headroom for o/c the gpu, nor for quiet operation. For a moderately o/c i7 and modern videocard, I would have nothing less then 40A just to keep it running under 75% of load and to ensure quiet operation.

Last edited:
That's 300W at the wall before the PSU efficiency is taken in to account, so like ratbuddy said it's probably more like 250W output from the PSU leaving ~200W for the graphics. Now I'll agree that the PSU would be being pushed quite a bit at full CPU + GPU load but I think it could do it OK as long as there's not a lot of extras in the rig. A 500-600W PSU would give more headroom and keep it below 80% for sure but this is certainly better than the Fortron PSU.

Do the math with me... :)

250W (CPU) + 150W from an overclocked modern GPU (already taking into account efficiency of course) = 400W. 400W / 12 = 33A REAL usage for a PSU thats rated at 33A. Nobody will tell you to run a PSU at 100%. Now I understand both items wont be 100% use, but thats still pushing it and you HAVE TO account for 100% use at some point.

Go bigger. I hope thats clear for everyone now.

(not to mention, the + in 300W+ is up to 350W depending on the mobo and voltage so that can be up to 280W actual).

Last edited:

250W (CPU) + 150W from an overclocked modern GPU (already taking into account efficiency of course) = 400W. 400W / 12 = 33A REAL usage for a PSU thats rated at 33A. Nobody will tell you to run a PSU at 100%. Now I understand both items wont be 100% use, but thats still pushing it and you HAVE TO account for 100% use at some point.

Take a look at http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...scription=FSP Group AX500-A 500W Power Supply

If he's running the system on that thing, the Corsair will have even more headroom. 2 more amps on the 12v.

edit: Look here, http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=64

Throwing the snide right back at ya, I hope it's clear for you that this is definitely a PSU that can handle running at or near full load :) Bigger would be better, sure, but this thing could easily handle a moderately OC'd i7 with a reasonable graphics card (no GTX 295's)

I never said it WOULDNT be better then the FSP. It would be, by quality and several amps (you dont add the rails up to get the amperage total ;)).

It only has 24A dedicated to the 12v rail. (see info in parenthesis about wattage to the rails and work that math out).

440W combined - 150W for 3.3/5v = 290 / 12 = 24A available.

edit; no snide here bubba. Just posting some facts. :)
edit2; that review came out WELL before i7.

edit3; can it run a moderately (3.6 and below) o/c i7 sure. I just wouldnt want to run the PSU over 75% capacity. The PSU will run cooler below that range, and also have more room for "transient response". You are also forgetting about HDD's, fans, etc, whihc arent that much I know, but each A adds up.

Last edited:

(not to mention, the + in 300W+ is up to 350W depending on the mobo and voltage so that can be up to 280W actual).

You're illustration is worse than the most conservative worst case scenarios. It is unrealistic.

First of all, check out some solid estimates of real world GPU power consumption here The only single GPU card that is in the 150W+ range is a GTX 280. The 4870 checks in around 130W. These are wall power draw measurements, too. Actual output from the PSU will be less.

Secondly, when xbit labs did some actual testing this what they had to say about PSU's in regard to high end single GPU video cards

Nvidia continues to recommend using high-capacity power supply units for their graphics accelerators. However, as we have already proven multiple times any 400W-450W PSU will be sufficient to ensure their normal operation.

This Corsair is not "any 400W-450W PSU". It is about as good of a 450W PSU as there is on the market.

Thirdly, not all of the draw will be on the 12V rail as your math implies.

I'm not trying to single you out, though. We see this kind of overly conservative PSU sizing here all the time on OCF. If everyone believed the hype, we'd all have kilowatt PSU's and still be worried that may not be enough. The truth is this PSU is plenty for an overclocked i7 and a high end single GPU video card in an otherwise "normal" system. If the user wants to run 10 hard drives, then sure, they'll need something bigger.

Back