• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Duct to outside of case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brunt

Ok..here is what I plan to do..
slk-800, 80-120mm adapter, and the 120mm 132cfm fan.

If I made an adapter for the fan, and the case to hold some plumbing so its taking air outside of the case(from the side panel), would that be worth the work? Any ideas how much that would help? Maybe also putting the same 120mm fan on the side panel in the plumbing.

I am going to try to equal CFM in and out. I am not sure how much the power supply does...I am going to have 2 exhaust fans. 1 large on the top of the case, and one small in the rear. 2 Intake fans, 1 in the front of the case, and the one on the side. I am also going for quiet. So I will either get big fans to get the cfm, or just get smaller fans and not as much air flow.

direct ducting can have a huge effect on CPU temps. If original case airflow is not great, you can lower your CPU temps by 10-12 C. Even if you already have good airflow, the mod you're talking about will probably still lower your temps 1-2 C, minimum. Do a search in cooling about ducting, and you'll find loads of information.

sweet! thanks..I was pretty sure its been done before, just trying to find the best materials to work with, should it be angled, or straight? all that kinda stuff.

Straight is best, but mine is L-shaped and it still works great. There really isn't much need for an extra fan at the opening of the duct if it is straight as it won't create a noticeable difference.
My duct is made of reflective black 'craft' cardboard. You can get it from craft shops fairly cheaply and it looks good :)

Hmmm Ducting ....I am about the biggest fan of it here.MY Dual box has dual Ducts lol..I used PVC pipe reducers to get solid mounted side panel ducts,that dont attach to the heat sink at all ..And allow case side removal like there are no ducts at all.
[email protected] email me for pictures ...

I have my HSF ducted from the side panel....I hunted round for a suitable duct material, and I came up with :

1-picture3.gif

A Star Wars Ep1 plasic cup from KFC.....:) With the bottom cut off, it fits perfectly onto the fan on top of my heatsink......:) Dropped my CPU temps by 12C.

Ideally, you'll want the duct half way down the fan. If it's too deep, it might stop hot air getting out fromt he sink, and if its too far away, it will have no effect or worse, the sink will still circulate hot air from the sink itself.

The duct stops about 5mm away from the fan. The diameter of the duct at the fan is 85mm (just slightly larger than the fan)

There is no impediment to the airflow escaping the HSF, as the 80mm extractor fan, the PSU fan and a PCI slot cooler takes care of exhausting the warmer air....

Back