• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU getting hotter than normal all of a sudden...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madhatter256

Special Member
I recently bought a 940BE Phenom II X4 CPU off ebay.

I've been FOLDING on it on and off since I received it (at least 18hours a day). During that time I've been using my Artic Freezer Pro. Before this I had 9150e Phenom.

The cooler would cool the 9150e just fine with temperatures never reaching 44celcius as the weather here has been getting warmer.

I did expect a rise in the temperature when I was about to install the new 940 phenom. Since I got the CPU the temps were 50-53celcius MAX when folding.

Now, however, the CPU gets 60celcius at the BIOS with no load.

I don't have it OCed and i didn't change ANYTHING in the BIOS.

I'm thinking it's the cooler, but what is weird is that when I touch the heatsink, it is HOT, so it is making good contact and pressure and the fan does spin...

I had to bend the mounting bracket to create more pressure. I reapplied AS5 thermal paste with the same amount I did before.

None of my components get hot, such as the mosfets (which are cooled via thermalright), RAM, and video card....

In that case I would like it if someone can recommend me a good but relatively quiet cpu cooler for this CPU...

I have an ahanix black knight case. Here is a layout of my board:

VVBGd.jpg
s2SVN.jpg

That cooler should be capable of handling the proc , It doesn't seem to be in the picture but is there dust between the fins? Also it could be just BIOS smart fan , so check those settings.Most tower coolers will be able to handle Phenoms cheaper ones being CCF , xig , scythe mugen , but really yours should as well .your PSU and fan on the back are exhaust , is there a side panel fan , because as it is the cooler gets hot air from the GPU ,if not you can try reversing the fan on the back .

It could be something as simple as a dodgy detector and there's no real way to test it if that's true.
It could be your thermal paste if you used VERY old stuff it could dry out very quickly or be very sub par. Also if you push down on the HS do the temps drop? If so then it's not mounted correctly.
Made sure there's no dust at all? My GTX 260 runs at about 31 degrees when idle after I've cleaned but after about a month or so the temps go up to about 35-36 degrees when idle (fan speed is the same for both)

Oh and an obvious question but the fan is spinning right? Also as fast as it usually does?

Just as a side note, like MagesticApe said your HS definitly is pointing the wrong way. The fan should be on the right side pushing air across the plates and out the back of your case.

Well I turned it on today after I woke up. Realized the fan wasn't spinning....

I disabled Smart Fan control. Saved BIOS and rebooted.... the fan still didn't spin. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it started to spin....

I let the CPU cool down and rebooted.

So yeah, it was a combination of the bracket simply loosing its pressure and me enabling smart fan in the BIOS.

So far it idles at 40Celcius, which is what it used to be like.

Still, I don't like it getting over 50celcius. Any know off hand of a good cooler that can bring these temps down? I don't want to buy something and then have it interfere with my RAM, mosfet cooler, and prevent my case from closing....

Last edited:
Are you talking about "CPU" temps or core temps? The former measures the temp in the socket area of the motherboard and the latter the internal temp of the processor. Use HWMonitor to check one against the other. Is there a great disparity? If you have a hardware monitoring utility from the board manufacturer I would trust what it says about CPU temp over third party utilities that are generic and nonspecific for that board series.

Last edited:
Well I turned it on today after I woke up. Realized the fan wasn't spinning....

I disabled Smart Fan control. Saved BIOS and rebooted.... the fan still didn't spin. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it started to spin....

I let the CPU cool down and rebooted.

So yeah, it was a combination of the bracket simply loosing its pressure and me enabling smart fan in the BIOS.

So far it idles at 40Celcius, which is what it used to be like.

Still, I don't like it getting over 50celcius. Any know off hand of a good cooler that can bring these temps down? I don't want to buy something and then have it interfere with my RAM, mosfet cooler, and prevent my case from closing....

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Corsair...03771.p?id=1218115623560&skuId=9503771&st=h50

I love mine =).

I smell a bad read/write head on one of the hard drives... :/

the click turned out to be coming from my optical drives (one of them) due to a bad cable. Replaced it and no more noise.

Are you talking about "CPU" temps or core temps? The former measures the temp in the socket area of the motherboard and the latter the internal temp of the processor. Use HWMonitor to check one against the other. Is there a great disparity? If you have a hardware monitoring utility from the board manufacturer I would trust what it says about CPU temp over third party utilities that are generic and nonspecific for that board series.

I use HWMonitor and that is where my temps come from. I do have a temp sensor that I attached to the side of the CPU HSF to make direct contact to the metal and it is less than what HW Monitor says.

I have been looking for a cooler that has a copper base. Copper conducts heat and transfers it so fast, but HSF manufacturers make theirs out of Aluminium... Doesnt make sense to me! That cooler looks like it will do a good job, how does it perform?

I didn't know these existed. I will have to check reviews on this, looks very cool! I wonder how the liquid gets pumped around? How good does it perform?

ppe1700, I haven't tested that Corsair unit but from all I've read, it's close to high end air in performance. With that said, if you look in forum Classifieds you might run across some good cooling solutions like a TRUE heatsink or something of that caliber for a good price too.

For another good choice for a 940BE, the good old TRUE with some low speed Yate Loon fans would be a good cooling choice. I found a TRUE at scan.co.uk for £26.78 Inc VAT
and you would have to buy some fans for it. And I have no idea if that is a good vendor to deal with either, but their name popped in my head when I saw that you live across the pond from me.

@madhatter256, the TRUE would also be a good choice for your case too. The new style AM2 mount that TR has lets you mount the heatsink either horizontal or vertical in your case.

I have been looking for a cooler that has a copper base. Copper conducts heat and transfers it so fast, but HSF manufacturers make theirs out of Aluminium... Doesnt make sense to me! That cooler looks like it will do a good job, how does it perform?

I didn't know these existed. I will have to check reviews on this, looks very cool! I wonder how the liquid gets pumped around? How good does it perform?

Heres a review
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2009/07/29/corsair-hydro-h50-cpu-cooler-review/1

They really seem to like it, but tbh if you look down the list at other coolers, its possible to get similar performance for a fair amount less money.

You could get the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ and add another fan for dual fan action.
BIOS isn't really idle, afaik, the OS tends to send commands to the processor to idle it so you will normally see lower temps in Windows than you would in BIOS.

I am pretty sure the cpu fan should point out the back exhaust try switching it to optimize your air flow
Not possible on most AM2/AM3 heat sink mechanisms. Most of them have the retention arm sitting in slots oriented North/South over the board; you can't turn them 90 degrees the way you could with, say, an LGA775 mount that simply sits in holes on the motherboard equidistant from each other. OP has a Corsair PSU with a big fan sucking air in right above it; this should work fine. All of my AM2/AM3 machines contain either a top exhuast fan or a PSU fan above them that will direct air off the heat sink and outside the case.

The 212 Plus is about the best thing going out there for $30 or under. It's 20-25% less expensive than the HDT-S1283 (which I have a couple of) and Core Contact Freezer, while maintaining 98% of their effectiveness. They're all pretty quiet, and all a lot more effective than the Arctic Cooling Freezer to the tune of 8-10C better in most conditions.

Check Frostytech.com for heat sink reviews. Their methods are good, relatively controlled, and rankings are easy to find for each cooler in comparison to others.

I picked up a Thermal Take SpinQ for only $36.00 (normally around $69) as an Open Box deal at NewEgg.com. It works great to cool my O/C'd 7750BE (load at max oc around 56C), some people don't like it because it's over priced compared to comparable coolers. But it looks soooo cool. Well anyways, the Sunbeam 120mm DHT cooler is pretty well rated, and pretty cheap for like $35

Back