• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu makes high pitch noise when being used

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
so any antec 350W or higher is better than my 420W raidmax? I need to power like 7 fans plus the cpu fan plus 2 drives, ti4200 card, 4 pci cards, and 2.8E. Let me know guys

The Antec will be suitable, but if it isn't a huge (Over $30) difference I would get a higher powered one just to err on the side of caution.

If you want to be DARN sure that it's the powersupply and not anything else take the entire system apart, and wire everything together OUTSIDE of the case, and spread everything as far away from the other components as possible, this way you can move stuff around and listen with your ear and source the problem directly.

oh man, i dont want to do that, that would be a huge hassle. I mean Im getting this noise when I scroll my mouse bar. I figure its common enough for someone out there to tell me what Im hit with. But yeah ill look into the antec supply. should 350W suffice for what im running?

I would trust Larva, he knows his PSU crap, and that was already what everything was really pointing to.

You need to reconsider your views about PSU's... If you can afford a 2.8E along with all the other hardware you've got there, you need to find room to purchase a good power supply instead of the bare minimum you can get away with. Your overclock will thank you for it.

This is the least I would do if I was really hurting for money, but nothing less. Its $58 - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-407&depa=1

larva said:
I'd get an Antec TP480 or 550 for your system's elevated power consumption.

Prescott's draw huge current, don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

like, ive seen some cheap antecs for like 28 bucks around. For example, i think i can get the ANTEC PP412X 412 WATTS ATX POWER SUPPLY for like 28 bucks. What this be better than the raidmax, would it solve my powersupply probs. What do you guys think?

oh, i was told i should look at the voltage readings on motherboard monitor. What exactly should i be looking for, and how can i see if my power supply is lacking?

ok here is a copy of my readings as far as voltages go.

Attachments

• untitled-1 copy.jpg
    untitled-1 copy.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 207
The voltage readings aren't great (3.1v, 11.64v), but it seems to me you're not approaching the problem in the right way.

People have been telling you to make sure it is in fact the power supply that is making the problematic noise. None of us here can do that for you- you'll have to use your ears.

Furthermore, you've been advised to get an Antec TP480 or better. That's not the same as 'any Antec over 400W'. The model you mentioned is an older -discontinued- type too, by the way.

So IF you are sure that the PS is the problem, THEN get the right PS and be done with it.

thanks for the info. What ps would be right though? Im going to be running a 7 fans, ccfl, 120gb, ti4200, 2.8E, 4 pci cards. Can you guys give me several things to choose from? Thx.

I think ya should try reseating the processor and heat sink...Please do not ask me why I am asking you to do this it is a gut feeling...Give it a shot...

I got the Antec TP480, but I hear the high pitched sound just scrolling or moving a window. My guess would be its coming from my MB inductors (p4c800e-d). Make sure its coming from your PS first before buying a new one. Nothing worse than taking advice from a stranger on a forum to replace something, but not actually first finding out if thats the cause.

My system does the same thing; I found that it is more pronounced when I ground my MCX4000 aluminum-on-copper 5-pound mother of a heatsink. I used insulating washers on the bolts that attach to the motherboard to keep from possibly shorting the board itself (dunno, just making sure) and then used a very short piece of 16ga wire to connect a very nearby mounting screw (which is grounded to the chassis) to the mounting bolt that holds the heatsink.

I personally think it helped my overclock; I can't prove it. But I now hear a little high pitched scritchy-scratchy sound whenever the CPU is thinking hard; and it's definately coming from somewhere in the CPU area and not the powersupply. I'm betting it's those inductors along the back edge of the board just like someone else mentioned, I just don't care enough to persue it ;)

So long as it's not hurting anything, I don't pay much attention. I can also sometimes hear my ram making a similar high pitched noise when running certain tests in Memtest86. The memory is quieter; I can't hear it when the case is closed. The CPU noise is much louder, and I can hear it outside the case and over the fan/air noise.

Odd, but funny :)

cd2k said:
I got the Antec TP480, but I hear the high pitched sound just scrolling or moving a window. My guess would be its coming from my MB inductors (p4c800e-d). Make sure its coming from your PS first before buying a new one. Nothing worse than taking advice from a stranger on a forum to replace something, but not actually first finding out if thats the cause.

i have the tp480 and a p4c800-e deluxe mobo as well, before i started folding, i would notice this high pitch noise as well when i went under load, but since ive been under load 24/7 for the past 3 months, i havent noticed this noise.

try putting that prescott to work on folding for a month and see if you still get the noise....unless the noise really bothers you, you shouldnt worry about it too much.

ok, sounds good, the thing is, my last mobo got screwed up and i think it was because i had a noname 300W power supply plus i was running a lot of things. How can I check that my raidmax 420W wont screw up the new mobo/cpu combination. I mean on my last comp, which was a 2100+, the 12V was up around 13.1V according to the bios although guys at pcclub said it was fine. But I think that might have been part of it or something idk. What do you guys think.

measure it with some program while in windows and under 100% load....use any program that will measure your psu's lines, report back what they are....for instance on my tp480, i get 1.49-1.50v on the vcore (its set to auto in the bios) 3.23-3.3v on the 3.3v line, 4.97-5v on the 5.00 line, and 11.98-12v on the 12v line. should be at that or higher, a little bit lower is ok, but you dont want it a lot lower. higher is always better unless its extremely high.

Well, when idle, im running vcore at 1.38, 3.3V at 3.14, 5V at 5.11, 12V at 11.76. How does it look so far? Should i run flaskmpeg and try encoding video and give you the readings while im doing that to show you how the voltages are under load?

Back