• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Creative Audigy? What else aside from Creative?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

richklein

Hi,

I think as long as I am doing a new vid card, I would also do a new sound card (maybe).

I have a SB audigy (regular flavor) & I was wondering who makes the best sound card.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rich

If you have an Audigy now, then stick with it. There is no compelling reason to upgrade.

Besides some of the driver issues I've heard about, the card seems to be a good performer.

If I had a chance to upgrade (say someone else buying my card for top dollar = no cost to me for an upgrade), what would i get"?

An audigy 2?

I dont know what kind of experiences you have had with Creative. But 9 out of 10 that have contacted your support will tell you they are hidious. Its a good card, but the company leaves something to be desired.

You might want to think about the GTXP, if you want the breakout box. If not the TBSC or the Philips Acoustic edge are nice cards.

If you can afford it, the audigy 2 is probably the best card when it comes out.

As of now, the audigy is the best card out, and they are usually quality products, unless you hook it up to a via chipset.

But like rleieux said, their support is less than great.

You got a pretty nice sound card, better than soundblaster LIVE, which i have... anyways, does Turtle beach still make soundcards...cause i remember back in '99 they made the best sound cards. I think. [sarcasm]Don't worry, i'm only a teenager, 1999 is WAYYY back for me...i can hardly remember it... [/sarcasm]

not trying to make you look bad, just wanted to let you know for next time. But like you said they are considered the best on the market.

TBSC, Hercules, and Creative cards are consumer cards.

Try a Pro card sometime, I guarantee you'll be blown away.

Some names to get you started:

m-Audio AudioPhile
Terratec DMX6 Fire 24/96 /LT
ESI WaveTerminal EWX192

There are more, all within about $250, that have absolutely stunning audio quality, but the only thing most of them lack are support for EAX and other frills. For music, nothing much to beat these guys.

Oh, and you're not gonna find them on newegg or pricewatch.

Find them at www.swee****er.com or www.8thstreet.com or www.audiomidi.com

Terratec DMX6 Fire Pwns tha Audigy 2, in every possible way.
I don't like creative because their cards cause IRQ conflicts, has problems on via chipsets, they used to charge for newer drivers, their specifications are not true for the audigy/audigy 2 and if you want to listen to music there are far better quality cards out there like the Terratec and M-audio.
The TBSC has been the best overall card in the last two years, it's better than the audigy, but not better than the audigy 2 but it a lot cheaper.

You know, I had thought i did my homework and beleived CREATIVE Audigy 2 platinum was the card to get. I see I did not do my homework enough.......I just ordered it and I hope it is finally on the way. I will let you all know how it works.........

leathersmt said:
You know, I had thought i did my homework and beleived CREATIVE Audigy 2 platinum was the card to get. I see I did not do my homework enough.......I just ordered it and I hope it is finally on the way. I will let you all know how it works.........

Its a really nice card. I espicially like the breakout box. Though I have got to say I like the GTXP's breakout box better, especially the 4 USB ports. But you are getting a nice card. I just try to stay away from anything creative, because of the support and my past experiences.

I had an OEM modem in my very first computer. I was having some problems with the drivers and could not get them to work. So I called SB and I just got a complete run around. They couldnt help me at all because it was an OEM. If I remember right in order to DL the driver I had to verify the serial number and since it wasnt a retail serial number I was out of luck. And the people I got the modem from went Bankrupt so they were out of the question.

Anyway, I ended up calling zoom because they used the same drivers. I tried to get them from there site, but it was password protected. Anyway, I explained what was going on and they kindly gave me a sign on and password so I could DL the driver.

Also had problems with them and getting drivers that worked for my SB live. And the last straw was when I had my Audigy Platinum and called for some driver assistance and was treated like a dog. So needless to say I wont buy anything Creative.

Back