• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crossfire UP AND RUNNING!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't think that even the brand new Cat 5.11 drivers technically support the new X1800 series yet. I would bet money on lots more performance with these new cards as driver support catches up.

very interesting, im curious as to what else you can get out of it.

batboy said:
I don't think that even the brand new Cat 5.11 drivers technically support the new X1800 series yet. I would bet money on lots more performance with these new cards as driver support catches up.

nice to see you out of the Cpu section :)

Aww man this is good stuff, I envy you. How many watts is the whole setup pulling? I can imagine this is when the umff of PC Power & Cooling 510w will shine.

It's tempting to buy a x800 mastercard just for the sake of running crossfire, but I'm buying X1800 real soon. I want to see 2 x1800 in crossfire, that's what I'm eventually gonna get when the crossfire x1800 cards come out.

Nexus Realized said:
Lookin' good Mike.

BTW I never really payed any attention to SLI setup's but what were say...two 6800GT's getting in 05'?
The world record for 6800Ultras is 14,623 by Shamino. The X850 record is 15,498 by Macci way pre-release. Both scores were done with extremely exotic cooling, but the X8xx's have always had an edge over the 6800's in 3DMark, so its no surprise that two of them keep the same advantage.

^^^except 03 there you can't take anything away from Nvidia considering until K|ngp|n came along with a ton of dothan power and took down shaminos single card record 03 record which he held with a 6800U, P4 EE, and Abit AA8xe.

so far I can see 13k to maybe 14k pretty easily with some better clocks on the cards and a tweaked system.

I am not sure how the P5WD2 handles the PCI-E lanes - But I am prety sure I was runing 16x/4x .
This could - again could - have also potentially slowed my system down.

Another thing to consider I am certain that the CF boards will be also be a bit faster than the 955X chipset- we should find out about the soon enough...
That I was able to run CF I don't think was supposed to be possible - the drivers that cames with the CF card would not allow it. Only using the latest ATI enabled CF.

I am certain next driver in itself will give a huge boost, and if Asus comes out with a bios that allows the distribute the PCI-E lanes t 8x/8x lanes it should give another bump.

Like in 780GTX sli, it is very key to have a FAST cpu - otherwise you scores will be way down.

Jum from 9k to 12k was all in the CPU clocks - and my system wasn't dialed in at all - I was actually doing CPU and running CF becnhes along - mainly focusing on CPU clocks without running a tight memory / tweak system setup - which would have been good for another 500points easily.

Memory bandwidth also helps scores - better to run huge FSB and looser timings than super tight - well that's a given...

The PQ is very good - eyecandy like we're used from ATI - only when the XP intitally starts up do you see some some flickering - i assume to sync the cards - that will also happen with resolution changes.

I think that X850XT CF is a very viable product - as long as you have a very fast CPU and already own a X850XT along with ecoupon from ATI which gives you $100 off ( anyone who purchased a crossifre ready card retail in the past few months can get this).
at a price of $249 ( $299 currently but not much longer..) That for the master card is a great deal.

Otherwise i'd look at some other cards.....

mikeguava said:
so far I can see 13k to maybe 14k pretty easily with some better clocks on the cards and a tweaked system.

I am not sure how the P5WD2 handles the PCI-E lanes - But I am prety sure I was runing 16x/4x .
This could - again could - have also potentially slowed my system down.

Another thing to consider I am certain that the CF boards will be also be a bit faster than the 955X chipset- we should find out about the soon enough...
That I was able to run CF I don't think was supposed to be possible - the drivers that cames with the CF card would not allow it. Only using the latest ATI enabled CF.

I am certain next driver in itself will give a huge boost, and if Asus comes out with a bios that allows the distribute the PCI-E lanes t 8x/8x lanes it should give another bump.

Like in 780GTX sli, it is very key to have a FAST cpu - otherwise you scores will be way down.

Jum from 9k to 12k was all in the CPU clocks - and my system wasn't dialed in at all - I was actually doing CPU and running CF becnhes along - mainly focusing on CPU clocks without running a tight memory / tweak system setup - which would have been good for another 500points easily.

Memory bandwidth also helps scores - better to run huge FSB and looser timings than super tight - well that's a given...

The PQ is very good - eyecandy like we're used from ATI - only when the XP intitally starts up do you see some some flickering - i assume to sync the cards - that will also happen with resolution changes.

I think that X850XT CF is a very viable product - as long as you have a very fast CPU and already own a X850XT along with ecoupon from ATI which gives you $100 off ( anyone who purchased a crossifre ready card retail in the past few months can get this).
at a price of $249 ( $299 currently but not much longer..) That for the master card is a great deal.

Otherwise i'd look at some other cards.....

When you say fast CPU, what do you ahve in mind, would a 650 @4G be fast enough or are we still talking a bottle neck ?

4GHZ gave me 10200 points ( but slow FSB - might have been a huge factor)- while 5.5GHZ gave me 12400 points
Maybe I should phrase it a bit different - a fast CPU will allow you much higher FPS - I believe the cpu power helps the CF rendering a lot.
One thing always to consider - I am not sure whether I running the perfect driver / bios combo - there could be a ot more potential in this combo.
I really didn't spend enough time to fully figure out what is going what when and where, but I am planning on having some more quality time this weekend...

Ah I see, the CPU is the bottleneck. That kind of stinks; you can't tell the true performance of Crossfire like that. :(
Still though, I'm impressed. Getting a Mastercard in the future is definetly an option for X850 owners like me.

Tomatosaurus[RE said:
I want a Mastercard too, with phat credit so I can buy many FX57's. :santa:

;)

Crossfire & FX57 are finally ready to go... unfortunately no dice available in Miami atm ( thanks to Wilma...) - cards undergoing surgery...something might happen soon...

How difficult is it to enable/disable crossfire? Do you have any other monitors you could plug in to test how difficult it is to go from crossfire to multiscreen and back to crossfire. Do you have to use one of those DVI Y’s to plug your screen in to both cards? Are there any bios settings that have to be changed to go in and out of crossfire?

speed bump said:
^^^except 03 there you can't take anything away from Nvidia considering until K|ngp|n came along with a ton of dothan power and took down shaminos single card record 03 record which he held with a 6800U, P4 EE, and Abit AA8xe.

You can't use 3DM03 to compare NV anything to any other video card. The driver are so heavily and specificlly optimised to score in that benchmark the scores are worthless.

Viper

Back