• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CS Server Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wubism

I have a cable line and a dsl line in my house. The cable just goes to a POS box that my grandma ect uses to search the web and check email. I was going to run a router off the cable line and build a new box for it to goto for a CS Server I was wondering what would be some good specs for the box 14 - 20 players

they recomend 400mhz on there website, but the new one will probably be more demanding (they always are) so 500mhz at the least.
but i would probably go with 800mhz about if i were you.

512 megs of ram
an ok graphics card, thats not really a factor in a good server.

and make sure you have about 350kb upload speed, if not theres not chance youll ever get 14 players in that server without a hell of alot of lag :)

OH and a good os, linux if you can. if not go with win 2k :)

The computer shouldnt matter as much as your upload speed. That is going to be you bottleneck. A server that big your gonna need at least 500K or more upload speed. Plus how many people in you neighborhood are using cable modems? Since it is shared that may not work so well as a dedicated DSL line. just my thoughts since i tried to run a 14 person server with a 300K upload cable line and had lag issues. Cable is not the best for game servers.

if you can, you might want to share the cable between yours and grandmas.

and host the server on the dsl line. :)

even if it doesnt allow you to get more players, it still will be alot more stable :)

Back