• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Curved monitors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigtallanddopey

Hopefully this is the right place. I couldn’t find a monitor section.

What are you guys opinions on curved monitors? Do any of you use them?

The reason I ask is they seem to be cheaper than there flat counterparts here in the UK. And I can pick up something like a 27” 1440p 144Hz 1ms for £250. On paper it looks like a good deal.

Just wondering what problems you have come across using one if any?

Display and Digital Cameras (moved). :)

I don't like curver monitors as not all games support the resolution and can stretch the image to fit.

I've only seen one curved TV and I didn't see anything wrong with it. From what I've read on the topic, I'm convinced that it's nearly all marketing hype so I have not looked to purchase one.

In my opinion I believe 27" is too small to even consider going curved. Looking at my 27" and imagining it curved, it just seems unnecessary and might be annoying. Before I would even consider curved it would have to be at least 32" even then it's a matter of preference. I personally don't like curved, no matter size. It's very "egocentric"?

I agree with Sydo. 27" is too small for curved unless your visual range is very limited.

Curved monitors, I believe, are best used when paired with the ultra-wide monitors. I have a 32" ultra-wide with a slight curve to it. Curve works because it brings in those edges just a bit more into my visual range when I stare into the center. So it keeps parts of my games in my eye sight without me moving my eyes around.

I agree with Sydo. 27" is too small for curved unless your visual range is very limited.

Curved monitors, I believe, are best used when paired with the ultra-wide monitors. I have a 32" ultra-wide with a slight curve to it. Curve works because it brings in those edges just a bit more into my visual range when I stare into the center. So it keeps parts of my games in my eye sight without me moving my eyes around.

Yeah, I have seen those 32"+ "slightly" curved ultra-wide monitors, they look nice, and it's not overdone.

By the way; According to your sig you work for dell as a hardware engineer. Whomever did the job for Dell S2716DG did an amazing job.

32” would be waaaaaayyy too big for me. Couldn’t even fit it in the room. 27” is pushing the boundaries a little.

It’s just the price that is enticing to me. Just a shame there are not many places in the UK to go and see these screens for real.

27" might be on the small end for a curved display to be useful but it doesn't make the monitor unusable. At that size I wouldn't pay a premium to get a curved monitor but I wouldn't shy away from a good deal on one.

They do take a little getting used too, even my old 32" curved took me about a month to get comfortable with it so if you get one give yourself a little time to adjust to it.

Back