• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cya later Android!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Lol, nope. Android is awesome, it's the bloatware cr@p that Samsung, HTC and other manufacturers burden it with that sucks. Go to a mod rom and you will see how great it is.

Yeah what Giga said.

I don't care about iOS. I just know I hate Android and REALLY tried to like it from the get go :(

Sorry I just now got a chance to respond.

First let me say that the comparison I'm using is the iPhone 4 (not 4s...this one is single core.) and both my Droid Incredible and Droid 2. Although, this thread is simply explaining my distaste for Android and the fact that I'd pick any other mobile OS over it if they actually existed.

So here's what I prefer in iOS. Bear in mind that yes, some features are also present in Android and some are present in Android but not in iOS IE Widgets..:

-Compiz/Beryl like opening and closing animations. Obviously there's no rotating Cube but the animations are just as the amazing and fluid. How did Android miss the cornerstone of Linux customization on this???

-Time. I'm talking about difference in loading times which might seem minuscule but when you're looking at hundreds of thousands of milliseconds it comes together for a smoother experience when opening or closing applications or booting the phone up.

-Software. This is a list of Software I bought on my iPhone that does not exist on Android in any shape or capacity:

-Games Workshops iBooks/Library for Warhammer
-The Onion (Compare The Onion app on Android versus the iPhone and you'll see what I mean)
-EPOCH
-Minecraft PE (Again, this is a comparison and the fact that Minecraft just runs better on my iPhone than it did on my Droids)
-Eden
-Sentinel 3 (A tower defense game that's worth a damn..GASP!)
-Siegecraft (TD Game with great 3D rendering)
-Mass Effect: Infiltrator (I feel this is pretty self explanatory)
-Pinball Arcade (3D Pinball Arcade machine. Not a clone of Window's Pinball on Android)
-Dead Trigger (Really nice Zombie Shooter powered by UNITY)
-Cubes (Another well done 3D flick/shooter)
-Call of Duty (Again, no explanation is needed.)

Now you might flame me for having a majority of my software being games but that's simply because I went gonzo after powering on my iPhone to find games that were actually worth a damn. I've found a few balance sheets and To-Do apps that work pretty well that I gladly paid $0.99 for.

Ultimately I don't think there's even any point in comparing iOS to Android at this point. It's not like either device is cheaper. My iPhone cost me $99 and the latest Samsung Galaxy is $199 http://shop.verizonwireless.com/?id=galaxys3

I think it's pretty clear that Android as an operating system sucks. And yes it is a valid point that Android has double the market share but is that really so surprising?
http://www.dhgate.com/lowest-price-...droid/p-ff8080812e32caa0012e60a66a252f87.html

I mean no offense, and I hope this is not seen as a personal attack (since this is the second time I've quoted you), but is this a correct summary of your argument:

Android sucks because the developers didn't port the exact animations from desktop installations to mobile installations, and because a few games are missing from the Android Market that are available on the App Store.

Since you were comparing phones that weren't comparable in terms of hardware, I view your other comparison (loading time) as a moot point. On top of that, the GS3, would completely obliterate your iPhone 4 (not S, as you stated). There is a reason the GS3 costs $200, and your phone cost $100, the SG3 has much better hardware.

Lol, nope. Android is awesome, it's the bloatware cr@p that Samsung, HTC and other manufacturers burden it with that sucks. Go to a mod rom and you will see how great it is.

I will admit though, this is slightly the downfall of the Android phones on the market. If the companies didn't fill them with their own marketing crap from the get go, I wouldn't need a new rom, or root access to enjoy my phone how I like it. The first thing I do when I get a new android phone is root it, install Titanium backup, and delete 90% of the apps that come stock on the phone. When buying anything, the first step should not be to change a brand new product. And this all coming from an android fan. :-/

Last edited:
Sorry I just now got a chance to respond.

First let me say that the comparison I'm using is the iPhone 4 (not 4s...this one is single core.) and both my Droid Incredible and Droid 2. Although, this thread is simply explaining my distaste for Android and the fact that I'd pick any other mobile OS over it if they actually existed.

So here's what I prefer in iOS. Bear in mind that yes, some features are also present in Android and some are present in Android but not in iOS IE Widgets..:

-Compiz/Beryl like opening and closing animations. Obviously there's no rotating Cube but the animations are just as the amazing and fluid. How did Android miss the cornerstone of Linux customization on this???

-Time. I'm talking about difference in loading times which might seem minuscule but when you're looking at hundreds of thousands of milliseconds it comes together for a smoother experience when opening or closing applications or booting the phone up.

-Software. This is a list of Software I bought on my iPhone that does not exist on Android in any shape or capacity:

-Games Workshops iBooks/Library for Warhammer
-The Onion (Compare The Onion app on Android versus the iPhone and you'll see what I mean)
-EPOCH
-Minecraft PE (Again, this is a comparison and the fact that Minecraft just runs better on my iPhone than it did on my Droids)
-Eden
-Sentinel 3 (A tower defense game that's worth a damn..GASP!)
-Siegecraft (TD Game with great 3D rendering)
-Mass Effect: Infiltrator (I feel this is pretty self explanatory)
-Pinball Arcade (3D Pinball Arcade machine. Not a clone of Window's Pinball on Android)
-Dead Trigger (Really nice Zombie Shooter powered by UNITY)
-Cubes (Another well done 3D flick/shooter)
-Call of Duty (Again, no explanation is needed.)

Now you might flame me for having a majority of my software being games but that's simply because I went gonzo after powering on my iPhone to find games that were actually worth a damn. I've found a few balance sheets and To-Do apps that work pretty well that I gladly paid $0.99 for.

Ultimately I don't think there's even any point in comparing iOS to Android at this point. It's not like either device is cheaper. My iPhone cost me $99 and the latest Samsung Galaxy is $199 http://shop.verizonwireless.com/?id=galaxys3

I think it's pretty clear that Android as an operating system sucks. And yes it is a valid point that Android has double the market share but is that really so surprising?
http://www.dhgate.com/lowest-price-...droid/p-ff8080812e32caa0012e60a66a252f87.html

So, you dislike Android because the default setting is to not waste CPU/battery on eye-candy, and it is missing some games? And you're using that as a basis to unilaterally declare as fact that it sucks? :rolleyes:

Personally I'm watching the progress of Firefox OS/Boot to Gecko. It's boot speed is impressive to say the least. The interface seems to have borrowed somewhat from Windows Phone thoguh it shows a lot of promise. My current preference remains Cyanogenmod 9 + Go Launcher, however that doesn't mean I won't move across to something else if it proves equally useable and has a cost advantage when I get my next phone.

Having said that, I'm rather keen to get an Intel Atom based phone ;)

I will admit though, this is slightly the downfall of the Android phones on the market. If the companies didn't fill them with their own marketing crap from the get go, I wouldn't need a new rom, or root access to enjoy my phone how I like it. The first thing I do when I get a new android phone is root it, install Titanium backup, and delete 90% of the apps that come stock on the phone. When buying anything, the first step should not be to change a brand new product. And this all coming from an android fan. :-/

Big +1!

I hate getting a phone and having all of the manufactures crap + the carriers crap on it! I just don't see the point, Every problem I or people I know have had on an android phone were to do with Touchwiz or Motoblur or any other of the manufactures "enhancements" This is why my next phone will probably be a Nexus.

Like you said, when I got my S2 the first thing I did was root it to get rid of the crap on it,which I shouldn't have to do.

I did play around with the Intel orange san diego android phone the other day, performance is pretty good, but the main issue I have is that its exclusive to Orange in the UK, so it has a load of orange bloat on it + orange aren't the best network out there. the price is brilliant for the performance of it.

Last edited:
I feel that people don't always approach android the way it should be approached. I mean, people go out and buy themselves a fancy ONE X or a Galaxy S3 or Razr or whatever and expect it to work out of the box just the way they wanted it to (cool animations, super smooth UI, a quintillion perfect apps, etc.) and sadly, android just doesn't work that way. iOS is great if you don't care about anything but HAVING SOMETHING THAT JUST WORKS. iOS just works, and if you jailbreak it the OS just sorta falls apart.
Android is almost the exact opposite: you buy yourself a phone and unless you want to deal with lag and force closes and such you just have to root the darn thing and run a good ol' debloated, zipaligned and odexed ROM.
I feel like people should look at hardware and aesthetics only when they buy an android. Forget about blur and touchwiz and sense, they're all crap, Buy yourself some nice hardware, root the darn thing, find a ROM with the features you like and flash it=)
I almost feel android phones should be sold without a flavor of android pre installed, you get the unlocked hardware and you run on it what you want.
And yes there's always people who expect developers to have the PERFECT ROM for them and they're insane. if people don't like a ROM then instead of just complaining on forums and driving the devs insane they should learn to compile a ROM (there's ROM Kitchen, it'll do it for you!) so they get exactly what they want. If i don't shut up now i never will haha, so there's my two cents =)

I think Android needs to go bye-bye.

This makes yet another failed attempt to bring 'Nix to the mass market. I suppose its moot since for every technical minded OCFer, there's probably about five million idiots consuming my oxygen.

I guess my point is that it doesn't matter, most people are too stupid to taste the difference in their foods let alone the performance on their phones. DERP

I think Android needs to go bye-bye.

This makes yet another failed attempt to bring 'Nix to the mass market. I suppose its moot since for every technical minded OCFer, there's probably about five million idiots consuming my oxygen.

I guess my point is that it doesn't matter, most people are too stupid to taste the difference in their foods let alone the performance on their phones. DERP

I'm interested in your opinion, as it's always important to hear why people don't like something, and why they do. Overall it leads to improvements on all sides and more competition :). If you could elaborate on how it's a "failed attempt" I'd be interested. From what view point do you view it as a failure? Function? Form? Profit margins? Market share? Competition? Fragmentation? Lots of view points one could take and if you could elaborate it might further the discussion.

Failure from a linux fanboy perspective lol.

All of the Android phones I've tried come with bloatware, are clunky in their design, abysmal battery life, and horrible load times. I suppose I could go through great lengths and compare the latest concoction Samsung has vomited out from it's developmental intestines or the newest braindamaged child Motorola/Google have given birth too but I don't really feel like wasting $1,000 and don't care to spend the time :)

I suppose the only real argument at this point is that Android has 4G LTE but with the latest Data Caps from the evil Telecom/Wireless companies, who shives a git?

It's certainly not a failure from market share standpoint, as I stated above I linked you the latest and greatest "e-Pad" straight outta China. Android has the market share because it's the only bloody mobile OS besides iOS and have absolutely no quality control on who puts their OS on their devices.

Like everyone here stated, I think the fact that every Android phone requires a reflash/wipe and a new ROM indicates that the OS itself is hosed.

I'd also like some input from OCF programmers here...as far as I understand all Android applications run inside some ******* Java VM.......I can't image that's very good for performance or stability :-S

<snip>

I'd also like some input from OCF programmers here...as far as I understand all Android applications run inside some ******* Java VM.......I can't image that's very good for performance or stability :-S

First you should reword your one sentence as the mods don't like people who get around the swear filter. Second as far as this is concerned, it's not a typical java vm. Android uses a dalvik vm, which uses registers. The key in uses the dalvik implementation is that specific to arm registers are much more favorable and better performance. Arm has two modes thumb and arm when operating in asm. Thumb is the basic 16bit long integer mode, where arm is the full fledged 32bit integer mode. For FP there is arm-vfp extension. There is also thumb2 introduced some 32bit operations but is still mostly 16bit.

In each of these asm modes you can basically think of registers as integer variables. A dalvik based vm means it's lined up for these operations and many times can be run directly in thumb mode. Thumb mode is preferred as it takes less memory and since uses smaller operations can be equally faster. There is still a lot of debate about a regular vm vs the dalvik vm, however one can see that google's dalvik vm lines up better with arm architecture and the limited instruction set it offers.

As a result of google using the dalvik based vm that's why you don't see android apps running on other platforms even when java is supported. Dalvik is fully open source and there have been one or two commercial ports and a few partially worked on open source ports to other os and archs but nothing has gotten very far.

I suspect as the android kernel becomes close to the mainline linux kernel (it's in the process of being merged back in) and the bsd libc and gnu libc converge in compatibility we'll see the dalvik vm ported to linux/gnu.

tldr:
Android uses a special java vm, called dalvik. It's based more around arm architecture. Debatable if it's faster or not. It is more memory sensitive though.

Nechen, if you want to have an actual discussion about Android, feel free to do so. What you've been posting, so far, is not is a discussion, but just mindless bashing on something you don't like. It is tiring to read you repeat the same thing over and over. We get it -- you don't like Android.

If you don't want to discuss Android, then please leave the thread and let everyone else have a useful discussion.

Last edited:
the OS itself is hosed

All of the Android phones I've tried come with bloatware

See secundum quid (a.k.a. hasty generalization). My Android phone came with a few apps pre-installed in the ROM image (which were therefore non-removable without installing a new ROM image (tangent: Why are we calling them ROMs when we're obviously re-writing them all the time?)), but none of them were auto-started or anything, so I'm reluctant to call it bloatware.

Android has 4G LTE but with the latest Data Caps

See ignoratio elenchi (a.k.a. red herring). Neither caps nor their applications are universal.

Java.......I can't image that's very good for performance or stability :-S

See argumentum ad populum (a.k.a. bandwagon). Poor programmers write poor code. Java performs just fine when given decent code to run.

Failure from a linux fanboy perspective lol.

All of the Android phones I've tried come with bloatware, are clunky in their design, abysmal battery life, and horrible load times. I suppose I could go through great lengths and compare the latest concoction Samsung has vomited out from it's developmental intestines or the newest braindamaged child Motorola/Google have given birth too but I don't really feel like wasting $1,000 and don't care to spend the time :)

Your previous interactions with Android based phones are the Droid Incredible, and the Droid 2. Neither of which were ever top-of-the-line phones. Since Apple only has one product, the iPhone 4 was the top of the line (and pretty much still is since the 4S has only minor changes). My point is that you can't compare Apple's top end product which has a highly specified (and stolen) OS with a mid-level phone running an OS which is adapted to 60%+ of all phones in use right now. On top of that, you mention the 'concoctions' of the Apple competitors, which by the way, ALL have better hardware specifications than anything Apple has ever made for the mobile market.

I suppose the only real argument at this point is that Android has 4G LTE but with the latest Data Caps from the evil Telecom/Wireless companies, who shives a git?

It's certainly not a failure from market share standpoint, as I stated above I linked you the latest and greatest "e-Pad" straight outta China. Android has the market share because it's the only bloody mobile OS besides iOS and have absolutely no quality control on who puts their OS on their devices.

Like everyone here stated, I think the fact that every Android phone requires a reflash/wipe and a new ROM indicates that the OS itself is hosed.

Maybe it's my thinking style, but I fail to see how a few programs installed by carriers and manufacturers points to the failure of an entire OS. By your logic, the OEM computers (Read: Dell, HP, etc.) that come with bloat ware are bad computers through and through. When in reality, a simple cleaning of those programs makes the computer totally different. Furthermore, Android phones don't require anything to be done. In fact, I'm using the stock ROM on my Galaxy SII. But rooting or flashing a new rom (Read: Cyanogenmod) is just a good way for developers to show what they can do while providing even more features to the majority of users.

This has been pretty well covered, so I won't
deadhorsebeat_4.gif

My responses are bolded. :)

Hmm, interesting evaluation. Some good points int there for sure. I will stick with my Galaxy S2 though as I love the thing to death. I have had no problems with finding all the apps I like... namely because I can use emulators on Android and run NES, SNES, Sega, N64, and PS1 on my flipping phone. The games for those pwn any games in the Marketplace. Plus I love the removable battery, the good battery life, and the endless customization. Don't get me wrong, Apple has it's feel, and I like it... but no way man. Not what it could be, but better that IOS IMHO. To each his own.

Yerp, sticking with my S2 running CM9 + Go Launcher till it dies. It does absolutely everything I want. When it dies, I'll either look at another Android phone or maybe even a Firefox OS phone. It looks to have some promise too.

Looks like I will be getting a 4.1 ROM today for my SGS 1! Very exciting!

You kids and your new Android phones. Im still running the old school Evo 4G :D. For as old as it is, it still runs pretty good. 4.0 runs far better on it than 2.3. I almost went back to 2.2 at one time because 2.3 was giving me grief. Natively, its a 2.2 phone, but it sure runs 4.0 darn good.

Back