• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cya later Android!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks like I will be getting a 4.1 ROM today for my SGS 1! Very exciting!

Very nice! Post back about how teh Jelly Bean runs. :)

You kids and your new Android phones. Im still running the old school Evo 4G :D. For as old as it is, it still runs pretty good. 4.0 runs far better on it than 2.3. I almost went back to 2.2 at one time because 2.3 was giving me grief. Natively, its a 2.2 phone, but it sure runs 4.0 darn good.

I really like 2.3 compared to 2.2. What was your 3rd number when you were on Gingerbread? I'm running 2.3.6 with a rooted kernel on my GSII and I love it. I'm waiting for the official release of 4.0.4 for the US Cellular SGII (SCH-R760) and I'll upgrade to that, root and by then CM9 should be past RC1, to which I will move if I don't like the official ICS rom. :)

Will do!

I am kind of scared to try it, because this current version of ICS runs awesome... I keep hearing though that JB runs almost twice as fast generally compared to ICS though..

You kids and your new Android phones. Im still running the old school Evo 4G :D. For as old as it is, it still runs pretty good. 4.0 runs far better on it than 2.3. I almost went back to 2.2 at one time because 2.3 was giving me grief. Natively, its a 2.2 phone, but it sure runs 4.0 darn good.

You know what drove me insane? When I got my first smartphone (Samsung Captivate [Galaxy S SGHi897]) and a month later the Galaxy S II was releasing and I paid 150 bucks for an obsolete phone. Now I'm on an SGS II and the only way I'm spending money on a new phone is if Samsung decides to release a Note II =) Kudos to you man for sticking it out with the Evo =) Awesome phone, and with ICS? :thup::clap:

You know what drove me insane? When I got my first smartphone (Samsung Captivate [Galaxy S SGHi897]) and a month later the Galaxy S II was releasing and I paid 150 bucks for an obsolete phone. Now I'm on an SGS II and the only way I'm spending money on a new phone is if Samsung decides to release a Note II =) Kudos to you man for sticking it out with the Evo =) Awesome phone, and with ICS? :thup::clap:

As much as I love the phone, the battery is pretty anemic :(. I got my phone January of last year, I cant upgrade until November. Hopefully Sprint has something decent by that time. If I were to upgrade now I get a SGSIII or GNex.

As much as I love the phone, the battery is pretty anemic :(. I got my phone January of last year, I cant upgrade until November. Hopefully Sprint has something decent by that time. If I were to upgrade now I get a SGSIII or GNex.

I got an extended battery for mine, which came with a thicker back cover, so not only does it only last at least a few days (with wifi and data off, it's gone nearly 5 days without being charged), but it is also far less droppable :) All these super-slim phones annoy me because I can't hold on to the dang things.

This is a little out of some people's comfort zone, but I tried a few different kernels before I settled on the one I'm currently using. When I used the other kernels, my phone would SUCK the battery dry in 12-14 hours. Now using the kernel I found to be the best, I can go 20+ hours easily. These are pretty low compared to other accounts, but I also send approx. 4000 texts a month. Needless to say, my phone is in wake mode more often than not.

JB up and running!

Indeed I did a back up just in case.. but so far its good! :)

4.1 on the Samsung Galaxy S i9000

jb1.jpg

jb2.jpg

jb3.jpg

So far so good! This build is super snappy! Everything works that I have tested.. :) I am happy. MAJOR thanks to Mkalter and the gang over at XDA-developers.com for their hard work and keeping older units alive...

Last edited:
I await JB for G2x. It may be motivation to build my own ROM, since the author of the ROM I'm currently using has decided to start including his favorite apps in it (where they cannot be uninstalled).

I await JB for G2x. It may be motivation to build my own ROM, since the author of the ROM I'm currently using has decided to start including his favorite apps in it (where they cannot be uninstalled).

Ah thats crappy! :( Pure unaltered Android is the only way to fly.. I ran a nice ICS ROM before this, and the author included a couple of extra things. I dealt with it though..

Yeah, that sucks. Including the .apk's for installation with the ROM is one thing, but coding them into the ROM image is a load. :mad:

Also, nice setup Tokae!!! I don't even think 4.1.1 has been ported to the GS2 yet and you've got it running like a champ on the GS1. LOL :clap:

Dev on my phone is pretty much dead, no hope of getting to ICS... and it was released only a few weeks before the GNex... :rain:

Yeah, that sucks. Including the .apk's for installation with the ROM is one thing, but coding them into the ROM image is a load. :mad:

Also, nice setup Tokae!!! I don't even think 4.1.1 has been ported to the GS2 yet and you've got it running like a champ on the GS1. LOL :clap:

Yeah I haven't seen any SGS 2 ports yet.. I am very lucky that the community behind my phone is incredibly keen at keeping it alive.. These guys are awesome!

Side note: Google Now is amazing. That is all. I cant believe how fast it runs on my old hardware. I think this is THE first real Android OS that will compete on all facets with iOS.

demo of Google Now vs Siri

Yeah I haven't seen any SGS 2 ports yet.. I am very lucky that the community behind my phone is incredibly keen at keeping it alive.. These guys are awesome!

Side note: Google Now is amazing. That is all. I cant believe how fast it runs on my old hardware. I think this is THE first real Android OS that will compete on all facets with iOS.

demo of Google Now vs Siri

Wow, I had heard about Google now, but never looked into it. In the words of Peter Griffin, "That's freakin' sweet!"

Its crazy.. Freaky crazy. I guess those who are saying bye bye to android though, will never get to use it.

Its crazy.. Freaky crazy. I guess those who are saying bye bye to android though, will never get to use it.

One of the most important things about Google Now is it's all opt in. You have to enable latitude. You must enable location history. You have to enable web history. You have to enable/opt in to nearly everything. To me that was a huge point that everyone has over looked. Up until I started using google now in ics I opted out of all tracking from google (except location for maps and weather). Most people enable web history or maybe latitude. So it's not a big deal but I've also left it disabled simply because I didn't need it. It's great to see Google preemptively concerned with privacy (if only to help stay it's legal troubles).

On the Siri vs Google Now, in my opinion Google now isn't a true Siri competitor and I don't think that's their goal. Google now is an integration of (nearly) all google services offered. it's what they've been slowly pushing toward since the release of Google+. In many ways it and Siri can do similar things, natural language voice recognition. Set appointments, email people, do daily tasks. At the same time though Siri is suppose to be a personalized assistant. Google now give you access to all Google's services relevant to you in a quick and easy way. A lot of the services are "personal assistant" types, calendar, traffic etc. However it's not designed to be a personal assistant. In some ways it's more than Siri and in others it's less. You can't directly compare the products because their end goals for the consumer are different.

One of the most important things about Google Now is it's all opt in. You have to enable latitude. You must enable location history. You have to enable web history. You have to enable/opt in to nearly everything. To me that was a huge point that everyone has over looked. Up until I started using google now in ics I opted out of all tracking from google (except location for maps and weather). Most people enable web history or maybe latitude. So it's not a big deal but I've also left it disabled simply because I didn't need it. It's great to see Google preemptively concerned with privacy (if only to help stay it's legal troubles).

On the Siri vs Google Now, in my opinion Google now isn't a true Siri competitor and I don't think that's their goal. Google now is an integration of (nearly) all google services offered. it's what they've been slowly pushing toward since the release of Google+. In many ways it and Siri can do similar things, natural language voice recognition. Set appointments, email people, do daily tasks. At the same time though Siri is suppose to be a personalized assistant. Google now give you access to all Google's services relevant to you in a quick and easy way. A lot of the services are "personal assistant" types, calendar, traffic etc. However it's not designed to be a personal assistant. In some ways it's more than Siri and in others it's less. You can't directly compare the products because their end goals for the consumer are different.

That is true, you do opt in for all those things.. I didn't see a real issue with it personally so I went for it.. I guess if I do end up not liking it, I can always turn it off.. As for web browsing history, you can always go incognito! :)

only thing im not liking on my tablet is that it uploads all your music as you ad it to your tablet/phone if you use there "play music". i know to some that is probably a great feature having access to your music anywhere you have internet but if i already have the "solid" copys on my tablet why should i have to download all the artwork and music everytime i want to hear some music,it just makes the app seem laggy. atleast this is how it was explained to me

i guess its easily fixed by using doubletwist instead of the default player but i just like the interface better then doubletwists.

Back