• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

data corruption due to CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SybrCLocK

hey guys.. i posted my problems a few weeks ago with no results...and now i got some new info and some new questions.

is it possible that overclocked CPU's corrupt data on a HDD?
it destroyed the FAT to the point to.. i cant format, partiton or do anything to it... windows see's it.. and i can use it.. but many programs see it as BAD... only low level will restore it to prevois state.
i had my clocked from 2.4 to 3.2 when it happend. windows stable and all.

and i have been told at a computer firm that ATA133 cables are identical with ATA100 cables... true?

tx

Well, it could happen... how stable was the CPU? I mean, windows stable isn't neccessarily stable at all, you need to prime95 it. If it crashes soon, it may be the CPU.

However, i suspect it more to be the power cable to the HDD, make sure it is *always* straight from the PSU, not run through anything.

As for the cable question, i am not sure. I have never used ATA hdds, but i imagine a faster cable should be backwards compatible (But not vice versa)

~t0m

If you think your processor is causing errors just run prime... If there are any computational errors, prime would find it. If prime runs fine then your processor is not causing any problems.

AFAIK, I have never heard of a CPU actually causing HDD corruption and I would think that is just not possible. I think if you run your FSB out of spec and you do not have a PCI lock functioning you will be running your PCI bus out of spec which your HDD's run off of, and that will cause serious corruption problems.

When I hear HDD corruption, I think a few things: PCI bus out of spec, bad cables, bad power to the drive, bad connections, physical impact, or dying drive. I don't know of anything else that could actually cause HDD corruption.

ok... i had a power cable adapter.. that was fitted.. and a few days ago ... i had blue screens in xp... so i looked into it.. and the adapter was HOT.. i dont know much about physics.. but i know that power cables dont get hot if electricity flows through.. so i really dont know what coaused the adapter to get hot

and the corruption happend only when i added a slave HDD... i have 2 HDD single on each IDE..

IMOG what is that with PCI slots? i dindn't quite understand

thx again

Data corruption is usually because the PCI bus is running too far out of spec. The IDE controller is run off the PCI bus. I posted in this thread (see link below) you started that you need to "lock" the AGP/PCI to default "66/33" speed. You stated that it was currently set at "auto" which means as you overclock the AGP and PCI speeds increase. Somewhere about 150 FSB in your situation you might start seeing data corruption unless you lock the PCI bus. Fortunately it's not usually permanent, but you will have to reformat and reinstall your OS. The power cable should not of gotten excessively hot. That means there was a poor connection ir something partially shorting out.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=294608

that was not me :p

i`m sybrclock...
i thought with the new generation of boards... the AGP/PCI remain locked. and do now increase with FSB increase...

i`m confused...do i have to lock PCI/AGP in order to increase FSB safely? if i remeber correctly.. with the release of nForce2 the AGP/PCI were locked

i need some clarification
tx

EDIT: also... i runned data recovery.. and found 1 year old data... i guess LOW LEVEL format would erase everything for good... but is low level bad for HDD?

Last edited:
If you push your memory too far it may corrupt the registry, which may cause several problems.

A LLF (Low Level Format) is the same as writing to your HDD.
The difference between a normal format and a LLF is that with a normal format only the file entries in the MFT (Master File Table for NTFS) or FAT (File Allocation Table for FAT/FAT16/FAT32) are being marked with a special character, which will make them 'unavailable' for the OS (The data is still there till it's overwritten by another file), same thing happens when you delete a file from the recycle bin.
A LLF will overwrite ALL data with 0000's, thus permanently deleting it....BUT (The following may not be entirely correct) as there's a bit of space between tracks not all particles will point to the exact same direction to represent a 0 after a LLF.
The reasons why I think it works like that is:
1) I've read and heard that you need to LLF a HDD up to 6 or 7 times to permanently get rid of ALL data.
2) If you buy a new tape for your cassette deck, record a CD/LP or whatever, then erase the tape by recording silence and play it again you often still can hear music if you turn up the volume.

Then why can't most recovery programs recover data after a LLF?
Most likely that's because you need to:
1) Amplify the signal for it to be usefull.
2) Recalibrate the heads to read between tracks (were the signal is stronger).
To my knowledge both can only be done with special equipment and/or by pro's.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Oops, my bad. It was early in the morning when I posted. Sorry I mixed you up with someone else. Your motherboard does NOT automatically lock the AGP/PCI bus. You need to set it in the BIOS to "66/33". If the PCI bus was not locked to default speed, then I'll pretty much guarantee that was the problem.

KILLorBE so your saying that one LLF wont delete all the data securly and there will be still data betweet tracks? hmm...
the reason i want to LLF the drive is becouse i managed to recover my data.. but there was 1 year old data present on my HDD.. and if such thing happens again i dont want to find 5 year old data wich might take space up for the data that is beeing recovered.

what about secure erase... Partition magic offers a format and secure erase option.. wich must be something like a LLF right?

batboy no bad... it's okay happens to me allot... and your right it was set to default..

my first thought wus did he lock the AGP/PCI when data corruption and OC'n jumped in...basically batboy took the thoughts right outta my head

yeah.. well i locked it now...

but i guess i`ll never know if it was the hot poser adapter or the AGP/PCI lock... at least it wont happen becouse of theese 2 factors again

EDIT:
i know this question does not really fit into this category but i dont want to open another thread:

short story...my profile in win2k (FAT32) cannot be read from the HDD one day... scandisk say's cannot read folder (NULL) when the system tryes to read from that folder it freezes for a minute..(sound and all).. Norton Disk Doctor freezes too when it tryes to read... but goes on.. and reports no error.. i`m puzzled...

Last edited:
It was definetly the lack of PCI/AGP lock... You won't have the problem again now. Without that locked, it was clearly the problem.

your video card might be kicking the bucket, mine ran just like it did when i first pluged it in, but i had to reinstall about every 4-5 weeks, then my video card just said FU, and started to corrupt it's own driver and windows finally detected that it had failed, and i put in a cheap PCI one, and i ran for about a month on that one, and have been on my 9600 for about 2 months, just a thought

Back