• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell latitude XPi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grtrat1

Hello first Id like to say I am a new registered member here..I have read a,ot of threads on here and have learned alot..
My problem is , I bought a Dell Latitude XPi laptop from a pawn shop ( it was working ) I wanted to see how long the battery would last before it needed charged..When i came back to check it was dead..I then tried to power up from the cord and now it wants a password...I called Dell and they said it was a Bios password and they couldnt help me because im not the original owner..The pawn shop only had info on the person who sold it to them..I called that guy and he bought it from a computer show in a state he no longer lives in..

Can anyone here help me to brinbg my laptop back to life..I tried the talking out the battery to clear the Cmos but it still wants a password...

Thanks
Chad

Bad news, First you have to call up Dell and have the ownership transferred to you.

When the laptop asks for the password, on the bottom of the screen it says computer named "serial number + 4 digits". That number is very important. Dell can use that to generate a password. But they will not do that unless you are the owner.
The laptop will not clear the password if you flash the bios or if you pull the battery. The only way to to it is with a password.

will they transfer ownership without me knowing who the original owner even is?? Thanks for your reply

I don't know for a "home owner". I have a corparate account manager I can yell at if I have a problem.

You would have to call them and ask, tell the truth and see what they say.

Just called Dell customer care and this laptop was owned by a company...I was told I ahve to try and get the owner info from the pawn shop and go from there..Other than that its garbage..anyone wanna buy a Dell latitude XPi 133 it was working great..it needs the Bios master password...$150

have you tried seeing if you can locate the bios reset jumper? I thought that would reset it, granted I dont have a whole lot of experience with dell laptops.

I cant even find the bios chip..It must be onn the bottom side of the MB..

Chad

Krieger said:
have you tried seeing if you can locate the bios reset jumper? I thought that would reset it, granted I dont have a whole lot of experience with dell laptops.

I have yet to see a Dell laptop that had jumpers. And I am Dell certified...or is that certifiable?

Desktops are easy(but I am not supposed to say how easy ;) ), laptops are not.

Well I have found out today that the original person/company who bought this laptop retired and went to heaven..So now I really know there is no real hope to retreive this password..If anyone knows a backdoor or someting to get this laptop running again all help would be great..

Back