• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dell xps m1710 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maganja

Registered
Hi all, I have a problems with my xps 1710. All of a sudden my screen went blank but when I plug it in to a monitor, it works just fine. So far this is what I have done to find the problem. I reseated the memory cards then I got a pic on the screen for about a few seconds then it turned off again. Might be my memory so will try to run prim95.I even too the cover off and checked all my connection just for the hell of it. I took the graphics card off and reapplied thermal compound! Cleaned it all out and put it back on. I have a spare lcd screen for this laptop and I connected it just to see. I got nothing. So I put it all back together and let it sit there for a few days then went back to powering it back on then bammmm... It worked, got my screen to work for a full day. When I shut it off for the night the next day I turn it back on and nothing again. Lcd screen is blank so I hooked my 24inch monitor to it and I get a pic on the screen. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

when that happens does your computer still turns on? I mean with screen being black you still should hear windows sound. Does it have inter-graded or optional graphic card

Hi, yes it turns on and goes through to the windows welcome screen.
the graphics card in it is the geforce go 7950 gtx

If your consistently getting a picture on an external screen then it's probably an issue with the screen on the laptop itself. I would leave it on and connected to an external for 24 hours and see the result. If it's still on I would bet is something to do with the screen.

Check the screen when it turns off, if there is a faint image of whats being shown, then you have yourself a dead backlight.

You could also try taking the top off of the laptop and checking the inverter/lcd cable connection to make sure they are snug.

To me it sounds like you are having some connection issues between the laptop and screen.

Back