• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Design a HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I know no-one's posted to this thread in a while, but I read all the way through it & noticed that graphite hadn't been mentioned. It is supposed to have better thermal conductivity than copper. I have no idea of its cost, but I think I've found a place [in the UK] that might sell it, so I'm gonna phone them later today to find out.

this would only work in a (slightly) modded case.. it would require the area where the cpu is located above the motherboard tray to be cut out......
basically what i'm saying is you cut out some of the mobo tray and the hsf mounts through the mounting holes(otherwise it would be to unstable)
now this would be two parts. the back part would be an anodised aluminum heatink that is optional, so if your mobo doesn't allow you to mount back there for some reason, you dont have to. this would mount through the holes in the board kinda like this:

and then those pins would follow up through the holes and mate with tabs on the bottom of the heatink, which looks like this:

the heatsink would be aluminum with a copper core..kinda working off the dr.thermaldesign.. but with fans on the sides... I'd suppose the heastink istelf would be pretty small to acommidate the fans, but the fans would blow in and would be directed up through the top.. because the bottom would be sealed. the four fans around the edges would be pretty slim... maybe 50 or 60mm by 10-15? (oh, and pardon my bad paint shop pro skills)

Graphite? Doesn't that disintegrate if you put to much force on it (think of pushing down on a pencil)?

Little lumps of graphite all over the underside of your Graphics Card would *not* be pleasant!

That's 1 form/use of it, they also make tennis rackets, & IIRC, fishing rods out of it, so perhaps the kind in pencils is not neccessarily the kind you'd get if you bought a solid cube of it? :shrug: BTW, I forgot to phone that company about pricing, I'll have to ring them Monday now, I'll ask them about it's strength & different forms of it then.

What about doing something like this Vantec:
http://www.overclockers.com/articles644/
But doing it all copper and maybe some king ot heatpipe in the middle...

I think it's good to have a design that let the air blow trough the heatsink... Less resistance, and higher CFM.
Also, having a solid "tube" in the middle spreading the heat higher up in the heatsink. There isn't any airflow in the middle of the heatsink anyways...
One more thing would be to make it about 80x80 in the bottom (or the max mobo-spec.) and then expanding to 92x92 after a height when the space is clear from caps and other stuff...

My 2 cents...

Back