• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Design a HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
JigPu said:

Here's another theory to throw out there...

To maximize surface area, make the fins rough instead of perfectly flat.

As long as we are attaching the fins to a base (not extruding the fins out of the base), you should be able to take some rough sand paper to it to get it nice and bumpy.

Also, is there any way of forcing the heat from the center of the heat sink (where the die is) out to the edges of the heat sink? I was wondering because there is very little air coming from the center of the fan, and most of it is around the outside. So, if we could force the heat out to the edges somehow, it would be much more efficient at getting rid of the heat because the area where the most air flow is would have the most heat from the CPU.
Of course, another solution would be to find a diffrent way to mount the fan so that it blows air over the die directly rather than on the edges of the sink.

JigPu
If you were trying to get air to cener of heatsink. take another fan
cut the center out so it can be used as a spacer then caulk the two together.

JigPu said:

Here's another theory to throw out there...

To maximize surface area, make the fins rough instead of perfectly flat.

JigPu

is "rough" equal bumping? not flat?

if the surface of the fins are rough, won't it will minimize the air flow? maybe they can be not a flat surfaces (waving perhaps?) what do you think? the wave direction should be calculated also.

Heru

Imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein

btw, did you see todays article "AMD Prices Softening Not only undercutting Intel's official pricing, but their own, too." ? the page title is "Homemade Tivo?" (yesterday article). i think the webmaster used cut&paste job huh? :D

I have a design... here's a parts list:
Copper pot/kettle
That's it

Step by step guide to building this:
1)Take your m/b out of your case
2)Place if on the box that it came it
3)Make sure the m/b is flat
4)Fill the pot/kettle with water
5)Place it on the cpu
6)Do anything but tip it over
7)If you wanna add a fan, you can, there's a giant blowhole already made for the job

oh yeah, don't forget the arctic silver 2, or should I say, 3?

how far will a heat pipe go?

i mean how far will it carry heat

beause if you could run it out side your case that would be ideal wouldnt it so you could get that theat away from the inside of the case.

i was also thinking the same thing with the psu why have it in the case why not just have a power brick with a fan outside the unit to cut down on ambiant heat?

Ok, I read the first page or so, how about this idea:

Have a cube shaped heat sink, have holes drilled through it, then put an input fan on one side that has a freshair duct feeding it, and then an output fan with a duct to get the air off, then to top it off, a fan on top, preferably low CFM and low RPM to cool the die area directly, somewhat like this websites HSF called "The Core"

http://www.overclockershideout.com/...tore_Code=o&Product_Code=CHS&Category_Code=HS

Tell me what you think of my idea above, and about that HSF.

Trieber said:
Ok, I read the first page or so, how about this idea:

Have a cube shaped heat sink, have holes drilled through it, then put an input fan on one side that has a freshair duct feeding it, and then an output fan with a duct to get the air off, then to top it off, a fan on top, preferably low CFM and low RPM to cool the die area directly, somewhat like this websites HSF called "The Core"

http://www.overclockershideout.com/...tore_Code=o&Product_Code=CHS&Category_Code=HS

Tell me what you think of my idea above, and about that HSF.

that thing is a half lbs of poop to put it nicely

i managed to aquire one from a freind for like 10 bucks it cooled worse than a delta than some generic hsf i got from walmart for 14 bucks

its good idea

but its
loud
heavy
made out of the wrong stuff (if you made it out of copper im sure it would be better)
hard to attach

the only thing its good for now is to tie some rope to it and use it as a mace or a shotput

most hsu's are extruded not milled. the profile is then cut to width and then all the little details are milled in. thats why a volcano9 or whatever isnt $70 a piece.

~z

I'm not sure if this has been suggested already in the 5 pages I havn't yet read, but who cares.

It should defenitely mount with motherboard holes and standoffs because a sink as heavy as this is made out to be would be too heavy for lugs IMO.

Back