• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did anybody see UFO hunters arc the computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

I wuz watching UFO hunters last nite, and they were talking about an F4 Phantom having it's instmt panel go out as a ufo passed by, so they did an experiment to see if they could Kill a computer with an EMP blast, and setup some sort of electric device which shocked the heck out of the "victim" computer...sure enough it killed the comp....but what got me was they hit the power sw, and the darn thing booted, and was running a video when they panned away.
I want to know what mobo,cpu, ram they were using!
I wish I would have recorded it.

I know how, but due to it being very easy to use for shenanigans, and hard to trace, I dont quite think its something that belongs here. Ya, um no emp bombs... or any bombs are a good idea to be discussing here in my opinion, those mods scare me ;)

Geez. If EMP bomb instructions were readily available, I can just imagine some l33t script kiddy strapping a bunch onto themselves, and running into Microsofts Redmont office screaming "Jihaad"...
goofy.gif

Geez. If EMP bomb instructions were readily available, I can just imagine some l33t script kiddy strapping a bunch onto themselves, and running into Microsofts Redmont office screaming "Jihaad"...
goofy.gif

LOL!!!

Back to the OP.

If they didn't break the computer then does it really matter?

What kind of computer are we talking about, something modern, or an older computer that doesnt resemble one of todays computer (Imagine a computer they used in the Apollo, just displays things like altitude and such)? The older ones tend to be more resistant to things like magnetic interference ect.

To avoid mod killage, everything I say here is completely legal (as in, why I'm leaving out direct specs)

Two ways to create an EMP weapon.

Herf gun/EMP bomb.

Herf guns are simple, and anyone with some Electromagnetism and circuitry knowledge and an old microwave can build one. However, chances are you'll fry your skin and go blind. I'd avoid it. What it does, it uses the magnetron (sp?) from the machine to generate a directed stream of microwaves that overload circuitry. Not truly an EMP weapon, but functions similarly. (also, arcs metal,which is neat)

EMP bomb. The closest thing I can think to a "bomb" is something called a explosively pumped flux compression generator. For this you would need a metalshop with precision equiptment, a highly trained team, and EXTENSIVE professional knowledge in circuitry and electromagnetism. How it works, in short, is uses an explosion to compress a solenoid around a directional EMF field, utilizing Maxwell's modified Gaussian formula for magnetism. flux=integral(BxdS) Flux is conserved despite a massively decreasing dS, causing magnetic fields to arise in the range of thousands of teslas, which due to various other formuli relating current vs conflicting variable magnetic fields ect cause MASSIVE surges in circuitry, blowing it out.

(Also, EMP waves from Extremely high powered explosions, especially seen in high altitude Nuclear explosions, but that's a lesson in atmospheric reflection amplification and all sorts of other fun weapon physics)

Hope you enjoyed my fun little deviation in applied physics.

Back