• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I potentially fry my 1055T CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Randomness

Registered
I really hope I didn't fry my new 6 core CPU! I have the 1055T.

I haven't built a computer in a VERY long time, so I'm not sure if I've screwed up the new CPU.

It was suggested to me that I check my motherboard to make sure it would POST before I went and did a full install. I was told all I would need was the MB, CPU, PSU, RAM, and Monitor.

This might have been my fault for not further asking, but the person didnt mention installing the heatsink/fan to check the motherboard, and I didnt install it (I bought a Cooler Master 212+, and didn't want to go through the hassle of installing the backplate if the motherboard didnt work)

So low and behold, I did have a defective motherboard. No posting, I am currently sending it back RMA for a new one...

AFTER all of this, I was just watching some videos on installation (like I said previously, I havent done this in a while)... when I got to the part about cpu installation the video said "never turn on your computer without a fan installed as it will immediately fry your cpu...

So right now I am in limbo. I obviously cant check the CPU because the motherboard is defective, and I have to wait for the new board to come (got it from newegg).

So...is it really that bad? Even though the motherboard wouldn't post? I had it "on" (power running through it) for like 5 minutes, do you think I fried it?

Thanks again for all any advice

ITs probably fine. Most CPUs and mobos have a thermal shutdown feature. Hopefully this happened. Give it a go in your next mobo

ouch, that's scary tho... I wouldn't ever turn on a computer without the cpu heatsink/fan installed.. even if u have to use a stock one.... better safe than sorry, depending on the thermal feature to save you.

Maybe I'm Wrong, and I'll let someone with more experience chime in on this, but maybe, just maybe your motherboard "seemed" defective and would'nt post because you did not have the cpu fan plugged in. I think some motherboards won't post on purpose if they sense that the Cpu fan is not connected or has died. Lets hope that is not the case and you have not wasted return shipping for an RMA which could have had a simple solution.

Also I noticed 2 different people asked how long was it on for...i think he said

I had it "on" (power running through it) for like 5 minutes, do you think I fried it?

"never turn on your computer without a fan installed as it will immediately fry your cpu..."

*sniff, sniff*
Do you smell something? Possibly a type of excrement?

Sorry but that is a load of bull :p

Just proof that you can run a CPU without a fan or even a HS.

Like what has been said, the computer would auto-shutdown when a component hits a certain temp.
Probably just your mobo.

Just to make sure though, you did make sure the RAM was securely fitted in the mobo right? My first ever build I managed to put the RAM in but not actually push it down into the slot meaning nothing happened when I pressed the power button. I know a ridiculous thing but it happened :p

Wow...I appreciate all the quick replies!

To answer some of the questions:

1) It was on for around 5 (10 minutes at the most). I couldn't even get to a boot screen so I dont event know how much power the system was using. I do know it was "on" because the red power/reset/clr cmos buttons on the board came on.

2) Yep, RAM was fully secured, and I even tried it in different slots.

3) As for the motherboard being "defective" ... I got the Asrock 890GX Extreme 3, which apparently, while being a great MB, seems to have a high defective rate.

Also, the Dr. Debugger display comes on, and shows "00" , which according to the instruction manual, is "Passed control to OS loader (typically INT 19h)"

When I spoke with someone else who had a defective board, he said he got the exact same "00" error...

Hence why I think it is a defective board. I didn't think to try and plug in the CPU fan (like I said, I wasn't even told I needed the heat sink to be installed), but I have't returned the board yet. I have it packaged up and ready to go out in tomorrows mail. Should I try it again and plug in the fan this time?

*sniff, sniff*
Do you smell something? Possibly a type of excrement?

Sorry but that is a load of bull :p

Just proof that you can run a CPU without a fan or even a HS.

yea, but that was underclocked like a mutha.. probably undervolted too.. i think he could've burnt out his CPU if he left it on for 10 minutes @ stock clocks without a cooler.

AFTER all of this, I was just watching some videos on installation (like I said previously, I havent done this in a while)... when I got to the part about cpu installation the video said "never turn on your computer without a fan installed as it will immediately fry your cpu...

So right now I am in limbo. I obviously cant check the CPU because the motherboard is defective, and I have to wait for the new board to come (got it from newegg).

So...is it really that bad? Even though the motherboard wouldn't post? I had it "on" (power running through it) for like 5 minutes, do you think I fried it?

Thanks again for all any advice

There was a time when this was true for AMD processors, which was the Socket A Thunderbird and before. They did not have any kind of thermal protection, however all the processors of today have thermal protection, serious doubts any damage was done to the processor.

yea, but that was underclocked like a mutha.. probably undervolted too.. i think he could've burnt out his CPU if he left it on for 10 minutes @ stock clocks without a cooler.

Well obviously yes.
Voltage is the biggest factor of heat production (If I make 1 correct statement on this site I really hope it's this :D). Changing the clock doesn't do much to the temps. Obviously it does something but not as dramatic as voltage.

Even so just making the point that without any load on a CPU it's actually quite difficult to blewdid it up when you have a HS on it.

*goes to run a CPU @ stock without a HS*

AMD 64x2 @ 2.2GHz stock voltage.
Auto shutdown after about 30 seconds. Just managed to get into the bios.
Placed the HS back on again, temps were fine and it's now been running prime for about an hour and a half. No errors as of yet :)
Temps are also unchanged. Still 47 while priming so no evident damage.

Hopefully this should make you (randomness) feel slightly better about this whole thing. If that CPU auto shutdown then I can't believe yours wouldn't have.

I can almost guarantor you have nothing to worry :thup:

Well obviously yes.
Voltage is the biggest factor of heat production (If I make 1 correct statement on this site I really hope it's this :D). Changing the clock doesn't do much to the temps. Obviously it does something but not as dramatic as voltage.

Even so just making the point that without any load on a CPU it's actually quite difficult to blewdid it up when you have a HS on it.

*goes to run a CPU @ stock without a HS*

AMD 64x2 @ 2.2GHz stock voltage.
Auto shutdown after about 30 seconds. Just managed to get into the bios.
Placed the HS back on again, temps were fine and it's now been running prime for about an hour and a half. No errors as of yet :)
Temps are also unchanged. Still 47 while priming so no evident damage.

Hopefully this should make you (randomness) feel slightly better about this whole thing. If that CPU auto shutdown then I can't believe yours wouldn't have.

I can almost guarantor you have nothing to worry :thup:

+1
If the thermal limit is reached they just shut down. That being said I wouldn't "test" it with a brand new ~$200 processor.

The only thing that still works well is the CPU :p

Completely agree with you though, I would never do that on my q9550! I'm terrified that I might have to replace the TIM on it, just scared I might poke something or put it on improperly causing the CPU to overheat and die. Like I said it shouldn't happen at all but I still wouldn't feel confident about it :D

Haha...thanks everyone for the guesses...I do feel somewhat better but I just wont know until I get a new motherboard in.

I kinda figured (aka HOPED) that there was some kind of thermal protection, but I guess I wont know until next week

As soon as I find out I'll let you all know.

Thanks again

I know with my last board all kinds of sirens went off and it shutdown if I didn't have a fan connected to the cpu fan plug. I've never owned an ASRock but both my Abit and ASUS alert and turn off with nothing there. I'm with whoever above asked about the board may not be defective just preventing start from the missing fan.

Wow...I appreciate all the quick replies!

To answer some of the questions:

1) It was on for around 5 (10 minutes at the most). I couldn't even get to a boot screen so I dont event know how much power the system was using. I do know it was "on" because the red power/reset/clr cmos buttons on the board came on.

2) Yep, RAM was fully secured, and I even tried it in different slots.

3) As for the motherboard being "defective" ... I got the Asrock 890GX Extreme 3, which apparently, while being a great MB, seems to have a high defective rate.

Also, the Dr. Debugger display comes on, and shows "00" , which according to the instruction manual, is "Passed control to OS loader (typically INT 19h)"

When I spoke with someone else who had a defective board, he said he got the exact same "00" error...

Hence why I think it is a defective board. I didn't think to try and plug in the CPU fan (like I said, I wasn't even told I needed the heat sink to be installed), but I have't returned the board yet. I have it packaged up and ready to go out in tomorrows mail. Should I try it again and plug in the fan this time?

The way I see this, nothing is wrong at all... And I quote!

I do know it was "on" because the red power/reset/clr cmos buttons on the board came on.

:facepalm: That just means the power supply has been connected, is turned on and is suppying power to the board. At this stage, the processor has not technically seen a single volt.

I really hope I didn't fry my new 6 core CPU! I have the 1055T.

I haven't built a computer in a VERY long time, so I'm not sure if I've screwed up the new CPU.

It was suggested to me that I check my motherboard to make sure it would POST before I went and did a full install. I was told all I would need was the MB, CPU, PSU, RAM, and Monitor.

This might have been my fault for not further asking, but the person didnt mention installing the heatsink/fan to check the motherboard, and I didnt install it (I bought a Cooler Master 212+, and didn't want to go through the hassle of installing the backplate if the motherboard didnt work)....
At that point my jaw dropped. Literally

As for the auto shutdown, I wouldn't even risk trying. I guess I'm an old school dude raised with K7s & early K8s

Last edited:
Back