• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Difference between C/C++

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JLB500

Registered
What is the main difference between C and C++?
Which should I learn first?
Thanks all

C++ is a superset of C, so, with some exceptions, anything you learn in C can be ported to C++.
However, either one takes a lot of studying and practice, and you will likely never learn it all.
C++ has what every C programmer wanted, and a lot more.

Ditto above. I'd go with C++, if you learn that you'll cover the C stuff and more. Also C++ in newer and thereby more likely to be relavent in your computing use. The older programming knowledge is, the less useful it will be in general terms. Note the underlining, no one needs to chew me out with specifics that are exceptions to the rule.

I prefer C because from what I have heard it is easier., I am learning C right now and then I will learn C++

The main reason I learn C is because a lot of Linux is written in C and I hope (one day...) to be able to contribute to linux projects, possibly even the kernel itself.

Ive also started with C...The book I bought came with C++.

But this is how I looked at it...I know nothing about programing, so for me to get the best understanding of it, and how it works and where its going, I should start at the begining.

Thanks for the posts
I too was interested in maybe one day playing with the Linux Code, that was one reason I was interested in learning C/C++
I also wanted to try to create 3D games which from what I hear, is possible using C/C++.

So, If I learn C++ I would be learning C at the same time and could edit programs made in C?

Thanks again

i heard that C was easier to learn first because if you don't know C then it is kinda tough to grasp the object orienting stuff of C++. Well that is what i heard but I am still learning C++ first:p

I've actually heard that people who begin with C++ are at an advantage, because of they don't have to worry about minor syntax differences. But, then again, this is just hearsay.

I started with C++, and am having no problems learning, except for being busy.

Good luck.

phendish said:
I started with C++, and am having no problems learning

Well there you have it! If C++ is easy enough for a small, near sighted monkey than it should be easy enough for anyone.
:D :D :D

Yes you can write 3D progs in C and C++ using openGL, I hope to eventually use it.

Hey I just had a thought. If you puy 1,000 monkeys in front of 1,000 computers would they eventually code the world's greatest game? I know they could at least duplicate the quality of the various windows os's.

phendish said:
20 monkeys, 10 years, all of the windows os's. :D

For just windows? It wouldn't take them that long. Just have one fall asleep on a keyboard and when he wakes up the code he's typed will run at least as stable as windows!

What do they program windows in - is it assembly or do they use C or C++?

:p
eobard, I am still lauching about the nearsited monkey thing.....really a good one.

Anyway, I want to weigh in on this again if I may.

Recently my son got me a book on writing game software with OpenGL. It only took about a dozen pages to realize I needed to relearn a lot of C and C++ code to get into it. Also, it got heavy into Visual C++ and used MS VCC as the basis of the code. So, the best one to learn on these days is MS Visual C++ and just 2 days ago I got my $50 rebate on the standard edition, which by the way is still good till the end of the year.
After going through half the book that came with it, called Intro to Visual C++ 6.0, it was apparent to me that not only am I learning the visual part, I am relearning the C & C++.
And if you plan on learning the visual aspects of C++ and windows programming, why not do both at the same time?
I just wish I had started a lot earlier.

Back