• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disable access to Administrator account's documents (Vista)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blazing fire

I setup a Standard account in Vista to allow guests to access the computer from. Initially, documents from the Administrator's account cannot be accessed by the Standard account as it is password-protected. Once I entered the password to grant access to the Admin's account and from then on, anyone using the standard account can enter documents from the admin's account without a password.

How do I revert back to the original "mode", and is it possible to deny access to the admin's account (even if the user knows the admin's password)?

If the user knows the Admin password there is no way to deny them access (they could just log on as admin if they really wanted).

To "revert to normal mode"... I'm giving you Win7 instructions, as far as I can remeber Vista was the same, maybe with slightly different wording.
Log on as admin (you can do it from a standard user, but its easier this way).
Right click the folder you want to deny access to.
Hit properties.
Select the security tab.
Click edit in the middle of the window.
Select the User you want to remove permissions from.
Uncheck the boxes for read etc.
Hit Ok.

For future reference when you use a standard user account and try to gain access to a fold you don't have permission for, when you type in the admin password the user is permanantly given permission to the folder (untill you follow the steps above to remove the permission).

Thank you Dave for your informative and useful response. It's much appreciated. :)

Your method did work but I still have 1 remaining question. What's the difference between unchecking "Allow", and checking "Deny"?

Back