• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SBS 2003 wiped password but unable to login local Administrator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SirPokemasterMD

I have a Small Business Server 2003 here that's passwords have been lost to time. I wiped the local admin's password using 3 different programs (PCUnlocker, Trinity Repair Kit 3.4, and Windows NT Offline Password & Registry Editor) to make sure I was doing it right. Trying to wipe the Active Directory password with PCUnlocker doesn't work, the program reads the hash file (Windows\NTDS\ntds.dit) and sees the user accounts for the domain but when I hit reset password the screen disappears for a second then reappears back on local user passwords. Normally, it should prompt if you're sure then say it was successful.

Anyway, I tried .\ before Administrator and using Directory Services Restore Mode to only login to the local admin account but still tells me the password is wrong. I have checked that the account is enabled using the Offline Password & Registry editor.

Are you using PCunlockerPro? You have to use the Pro version on Server OSes. I've used it to create a second local administrator account and then delete the first one from inside the second.

I hope that helps.

Back