• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dissapointed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IndianScout

Turtle Mountain band of Chippewa Reservation
I built 3 new systems for sale in the last week for our store..

XP1800
XP2200
XP2600 333

after I build new systems I have a shelve in the tech room that I always set them up on for burnin (prime)

the XP1800, 2200 both used Spire WhisperRock coolers rated up to XP3400

the XP2600 I installed a Zalman CNPS3000-Plus

2 of the CPU's lasted less than the Prime test ( Zalman was 1) the other failed after 2 days,

so I called my distributor and he had me return them, reinstalled the new ones and away they went, all 3 have been sold now

the point I am trying to make is ...

are the manufacturers more worried about who is building the faster CPU, quantity of output from the factory and less about quality control....

I guess it's just the luck of the draw,, I've had an Intel dead out out of the Box so I am not bashing anyone here....

it's just that in my 22 years in our industry seems like prices are within reason, availability is great, but it seems as tho the parts are not made to last like the once did, just like my car outside lol

and DAYMNNNN I just broke my cup holder,, now I can't play CD's..

;)

Not to insult your intelegence, as I don't know the fill story, but that doesn't seem right... Not that cpu's are being made like the k-cars of the 80's, but that you had 3 go in <2 days. I know for a fact my cpu isn't in the best conditions heat-wise, overclocked, and can pass those tests. I also have 2 whisperrocks running (granted, they're both on 1.2 durons), while not being remotely close to stock hsf's, they're also not capable of running with copper, esp. not with a 26db fan. Maybe 3400+ in best conditions...they dont' stipulate what conditions they got that from, just that it's possible.

Like they say, you get what you paid for...I'd much rather chance a sub-$100 cpu I got in 2 days w/o paying sales tax than a rock-solid 486 bought for a cool grand...running Windows 3.1...

Edit: one more thing, there's a nice little trivia tid-bit in the 'what was your cpu' thread - 15 years ago tens of thousands of transistors was no small feat (no pun intended), and now that 2800+ you had uses more than 53 million for under $150. Based on price/performance/things you can do with it, even paying for 2 smoked cpu's now is cheaper than what the oldies cost in their day.

Last edited:
I dont get it, you mad because 3 cpu's died? How are you so sure it was the cpu's and not the way you built the PC. 22 years or 2 years doesnt make any diff you could have just simply screwd up.

I have had a 1.2 athlon, 1.2 duron, 1800+ Palimino, 2000+ palamino, 2400+ Tbred, 2500+ barton, all From AMD and not one has died 1 day after install.

The time a cpu has broken on me was when i screwd something up.

did you retest the new ones or did you not have time?
If they failed prime at stock speeds chances are that you are doing something wrong. I've had 20+ amd chips ranking for athlon 700 to a xps (waiting for socket 939 to try 64's) and none fail prime at stock and oc.

when the new CPU's came in as with all the computers I build, they went to the shelf for burn in, and all passed with flying colors, this thread wasnt meant to **** anyone off or start a flame war, this was just something I was thinking about and I thought the experience may help others....

[color=00ee33]And there should be no flame war.[/color]

Generally speaking, I don't think that CPUs today are any less reliable in the proper operating conditions than those of days past. They are, of course, much less forgiving of cooling equipment failure, improper interface, etc.

And no matter what, every now and then, we're going to run across a bad chip or two. It sounds to me like bad luck, as in perhaps a bad batch of CPUs. It happens, even to the best of us. Compounded over time, the likelihood you'll see one increases. Perhaps they were just barely functional, and a small error that most chips would tolerate sent them to their doom, but that's probably still a case of a low-quality component. Who knows? I'm surprised these CPUs made it out the door, but sometimes they just do. Heck, every now and again I run across a bad transistor, capacitor, LED, etc., and those are much less complex than a CPU.

In short, this stuff happens from time to time, at no fault of the user. Fortunately, we can RMA these components. -- Paul

If they systems ran fine with the new chips its probably not something you did as others were indicating.

Sounds like bad luck. One of those flukish things that happens every now and then.

I wasnt trying to bash you or anything. I was trying to get a better picture pf what was happening. You probably arent doing anything wrong and like some have said it may be a fluke. I was tyring to indicate in my post that that I dont believe the quality of how the cpus were made havent gone down

Back