• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DL DVD burner help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Before you jump on me, I have searched and found many comparrisons, but i want info from the owners.

Ok, I am going out tomorrow to get me a DL burner for my birthday (actually it will be bought for me).

I am wondering, is the pioneer 108 still the one to get? Before i make the purchase, i just want to hear from some of you on this drive compared to some others. I have also looked at the Sony dru710a and the nec 3500a, as well as a LG unit and a Lite-On unit. They are all within $10 of eachother, so price is not an issue.

I am most worried about reliability and quality of burn, as opposed to speed, i want this drive to burn pretty much evreything I throw at it. Also, overburning is a bit important, I hear the Sony can't overburn even 1MB. Also, I'd like a drive that will have firmware updates as needed.

The LG drive i mentioned also burns DVD-Ram although I've never used those anyway.

So, which one should I get with this in mind? Are there any new drives that have better reviews the pioneer 108 or nec3500 or are those two still the ones to get (which one of the two?)

If you can, get a NEC 3500. Save the money, most other DL drives use NEC chipsets and fill in the rest of the gear with whatever they like and slap their name on it and jack the price up. But then again if someone else is paying for it, might as well get the best thats out there. The NEC 3500 is very good, but I'm sure there are better for more.

the nec one is the best if im not mistaken, it will do what you want.

im waiting for 8xdl burners myself, ill get one of those ASAP and just use 4xdl media until 8xdl is available

Ok thanx.. the NEC here in Canada is $82CAD whereas the pioneer is $99CAD, so quite a difference, guess I am going with the NEC.. now the only worry is the NEC 3520 thats comming out, I don't know what I'll be missing by going with the 3500

Ya, Im very happy with my 2510A (same as 3510 except 2.4x DL and 8x DVD-R). But I havent had the chance to burn DL DVDs yet. But the drive is very very very silent. I love it.

Back