• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do Fans Plugged in the Molex, Sleep Too When Windows Sleep?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alvin777

Hello PC friends.

For example you have a very fast 3000 to 6,000 rpm crypto miner's fan (not into crypto but the fans they use are usually ball bearing and affordable but 2-pin only) as a case fan, can you plug that in the molex does it also sleep when Windows sleep? Do power supplies (branded but maybe the budget series of say a 460w Enermac PSU)? I ask coz' I found such fan and it's not that expensive vs. proper PC fans that have ball bearing in them (ball bearing type is best in the vertical orientation).

Or things only sleep or slow down if they are plugged in the headers of the motherboard be it 3-pin or 4-pin or some kind of new fan header that supports a lot of amperage and wattage (so it doesn't burn that part of the board)? Is there any way to make it sleep if plugged in the molex so it sleeps with Windows?

Thank you.

Have a great blessed sunday.

My entire fan controller is wired directly to the PSU and my fans sleep when the PC sleeps, so I would go with yes.

Back