• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does anyone else get motion sickness from first person games...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aznsound

i can ride planes, i can ride trains, and i can ride rollercoasters for hours with no problem... but 5-10 minutes of playing a first person shooter game makes me feel terrible... in a way it's good cause i don't feel the need to upgrade the video card (and for that matter the whole system) every couple of months or so just to keep up with the latest 3D first person games... i think these type of games are pretty much the most demanding games there is... so is there anyone else that get sick off first person games...?

The worst thing that can happen to me while gaming is a light headache. That as long as the refresh rate of my monitor is not lower than 75hz.

da n

I used to get it playing old Quake, Doom, etc. Never really got into FPS.

Then I played CS, and probably the biggest reason I was hooked was that it didn't make me sick.

I think it has to do with field of vision and the angles.

Doom 3 gives me a headache after playing for a while, but so far thats the only one I've found that does it.

I don't get motion sickness but my friend does, he doesn't play any fps because of it.

It could just be you or it could be your setup. Lots of stuff can cause it. Refresh rates, FOV, fps, or the game itself. I generally haven't had any problems since the days of Doom2 and DN3D, but every now and then I'll run into a game that gives me a slight light headed feeling.

A new monitor if you've had the same one for a long time could really help. Or defintely try and play on some other ppls machines and see if you have problems.

oh i know i have the problem... cause even five minutes on one of Best Buy's gaming computers does it to me... even just watching people play, or watching game reviews on tv makes me sick...

There was a big issue with half life 2 causing this for a lot of people. only time I have ever had an issue with a game is obliviion gives me a headache if I have all the grass and stuff turned on.

I don't what so ever...if I got a migraine before hand, yeah, staring at a monitor at 60hz doesn't help that. How and why though? I don't see how it could cause motion sickness and/or why? Just boggles me because i guess I've never 'experienced' it.

it causes motion sickness because your view is telling your eye you are moving... but the fluids in the semi-circular canals in the inner ear is stationary telling the brain you are not moving... that's basically what the cause of motion sickness is, confusion between the two senses...

aznsound said:
it causes motion sickness because your view is telling your eye you are moving... but the fluids in the semi-circular canals in the inner ear is stationary telling the brain you are not moving... that's basically what the cause of motion sickness is, confusion between the two senses...

I see...that helps clear things up. What causes a person to not be able to differentiate the two? Or is it something out of our control?

i'm not really sure why some people are more sensitive to it than others... and yes, it is something out of our control... kinda like some people get car sickness more than others...

I used to get motion sickness once in awhile with my old CRT. However, now that I've got an LCD moniter, I haven't experienced it at all. I don't know why but I think CRT's made me sick.

HL2 Canel levels did it to me - only when whipping around in that speed-boat, though.

But yeah, there's a bunch of stuff that can cause headaches, including low frame rates, which give headaches in any game genre, and lack of Vsync for some people.

Interesting. I remember a friend who felt dizzy watching/playing fps game said he looked at the foreground (i.e. the gun) rather than the background, where you aiming reticule is. Perhaps the lack of focus/blur also contributes to it. Your brain thinks something is further away but becuase everything is in perfect focus all the time it looks unnatural and confuses the brain.

the only first person game that i got into was Ghost Recon... that game wasn't bad since you don't really need to have your character looking around in every direction really fast... but even the slow moving view of Ghost Recon, still made me queezy after about an hour...

i could play Splinter Cell games all day with no problem, but i can not play Max Payne games... i finally settled to playing driving games... those games are not really that demanding on hardware... even my old ATI Radeon 9800 Pro could play Toca3 at highest detail at 1280x1024...

by the way, a couple of years ago, i tried playing Castle Wolfenstein... i remember i was testing my new card back then, so i was consistently getting 80fps and above... refresh rate was at 75hz... i finished stage 1 but i had to quit in the middle of stage 2... that's really the last time i tried to play a 3D first person shooters game...

my wife refused to play HALO with me when i first got my xbox because the split screen bothered her eyes.

My Uncle wont play indoor FPS due to sickness/headaches... I'd really like to get him hooked on CS or HL2 but its a no go... He loves Battlefield and COD2 though...

Back