• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does having 2GB of RAM boost frames per second over 1GB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Only if your encoding or something like that. In game I doubt you'll see any effect from it. As FPS rely more on CPU and a good video card.

but i know there is a big difference or at least a noticeable difference going from 512MB to 1024MB, why wouldn't there be an improvement going even higher?

The benefit from 512 to 1 gig is not fps in my experience. It is shorter loading times, no stuttering in game play, things of that nature.

My friend has a 64FX and he upgraded to 2gigs and games run a little better of his computer, but I didn't pay attention to framerates while dog fighting in BF:V ;)

It really doesn't make a difference with 99.9% of games. You can check the ram usage of a game. Does even DIII use more then a gig? The difference between 512 and 1 gig is sometimes an occasional stutter when things are loading. 1 gig does it much more fluidly in games that used more then 512.

I think there might be a Sims game that uses more then a gig, but other then the occasional oddball game its a total waste.

Because unless you're already running a FX-53 with MachIII cooling and a x800xt PE, watching it all on dual 2001FP monitors, it's a waste of money.

;)

Note: I have little to know knowledge of the newest hardware out there, I hope this doesn't offend anyone with an FX-55 or whatever.

tom10167 said:
Because unless you're already running a FX-53 with MachIII cooling and a x800xt PE, watching it all on dual 2001FP monitors, it's a waste of money.

;)

Note: I have little to know knowledge of the newest hardware out there, I hope this doesn't offend anyone with an FX-55 or whatever.

tom methinks you are getting loopy buddy!...... :beer:

(referring to avatar)

okay, thanks guys. I guess i'll just have to try it out since I have it right here, just wanted some opinions. I will probably just sell it.

KnownKiller said:
I've noticed D3 using over 2GB of ram durring use so i'd say if you can get it buy it atleast for D3!

What?

It doesn't even make sense to put 2 gigs of ram in a cpu for a game. Doom3 doesn't even fully use 1 gig of ram...

Unless you are running a video encoding/editting company, 2 gigs of ram is a waste of money. You might as well go and buy a pet monkey with the money you saved not buying the ram (or selling it in this case).

Docta_Z said:
What?

It doesn't even make sense to put 2 gigs of ram in a cpu for a game. Doom3 doesn't even fully use 1 gig of ram...

Unless you are running a video encoding/editting company, 2 gigs of ram is a waste of money. You might as well go and buy a pet monkey with the money you saved not buying the ram (or selling it in this case).

Monkeys are cool.

Can you overclock a monkey?

Doom 3 actually recommends 512-1024 MB. A gig is going to become more and more standard. I don't think any games could utilize 2 gigs.

I think you should try it and let us know, since you
have an extra gig around now that can run at the same speed as the other pair
Personally I think it would help. Although it might actually slow things down...

haha, so which do you think it is? I need a format and the new arctic cooling vga silencers come out next week. Lots of changes, so i'll do some benches or time frames per second runs and make a new thread then.

This is my BOOMSTICK!

I dont know. I would like to know, especially since I have the same board and toy with the idea of adding more memory. Ram is fast, but doubling it will double the table the controller has to sort through to locate info. My guess is it will help large files and hurt small files.

?

Run DM3 and do a timedemo with the memory usage showing.. Run it 2 times threw and come back and tell me what DOOM 3 used.

Heres the command to show the mem usage: com_showmemoryusage 1

Oh and i've also seen ananatech or whatever ya wana call it use 4GB of ram in the test rig.. Not saying you need that much but yeah its a very demanding game and needs lots of ram for cache and uses it thrashing the crap outa the hard drive to make up for what you dont have.

Back