• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does this list look ok?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rob_

Registered
Hi all,

I've finally decided to try custom water cooling as it's something I've wanted to do for a few years now.
I've done a bit of reading around and I have a basic understanding of it.
I just wanted to run the parts past you people here.

Here's my specs

CPU: i7 5820k
Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe
RAM: Corsair 16GB 4x4 2800
GPU: AMD R9 290
PSU: Corsair HX1000i
Case: Corsair 900D

And here's the list I've got so far. Let me know what you would change.

EK Water Blocks EK-FB ASUS X99 Monoblock - Nickel
EK Water Blocks EK-CoolStream CE 420 (Triple) (Decided to go for a triple 140mm rad as I've got a few Noctua A14 industrials hanging around)
XSPC D5 Photon 270 Reservoir/Pump Combo V2
EK Water Blocks EK-ACF Fitting 10/16mm - White x6
XSPC HighFlex Hose 3/8" ID, 5/8" OD, 16/10mm, 2m, White
Mayhems Fine Silver Kill Coil (Is just a coil and distilled water sufficient?)

Please give me your thoughts on this. Cheers!

My opinion, I would not use Silver and Nickel together. Especially with the previous EK flaking Nickel history. I would stick to distilled and a Copper Sulfate based biocide.
Also, generally a block on the board (VRM or chipset) is not necessary as it only adds restriction and heat to your loop. It's mostly for aesthetics.

My opinion, I would not use Silver and Nickel together. Especially with the previous EK flaking Nickel history. I would stick to distilled and a Copper Sulfate based biocide.
Also, generally a block on the board (VRM or chipset) is not necessary as it only adds restriction and heat to your loop. It's mostly for aesthetics.

Thanks for your reply, Mr. Scott.

Is there a biocide that you would recommend? Also what do you think of this?
The reason I went for that block is because when I overclocked the 5820k the vrm temps were in the high 70's when stress testing and that had me a little worried. I'm thinking the block will bring that down a bit.

Sure, that biocide will be fine.

Most VRM's are designed to withstand temps to 105c. 70c is still acceptable.
I personally would just put or point a fan to them rather than spend on the block and dump extra heat into my loop.

I'll go with that biocide then.

The monoblock isn't much more than a regular block and it does look nice so I think I may stick with it.

Thanks for the advise

Last edited:
List looks fine overall but a few things I would change as follows.

I would change the tubing to PrimoChill Advanced LRT with your choice of clear or color and go with a clear premixed fluid from EK or Aquacomputer, etc. Some might argue not to do so but I feel its worth it. It's one of the cheapest annual investments in a expensive water cooling loop.

I would also recommend on drainage somewhere at the lowest point of the loop to make maintenance easier.

Great choice in case. More than enough room to throw anything at it and fairly easy to work with.

a couple of notes, I run a 6800K, in very heavy work loads.
we have what equals the same cpu.
I also use a d5 pump, you don't need to get the vario pump, your going to wind up running it wide open any way.
I run mine at 4.0 and it just makes 60c on a three x 120 rad
cooling the board is a waste of money, my vrms exactly follow the cpu temp and peak at 60c also, I just use good airflw and lots of it, but if you like the bling, have at.
unless you're going to run a lot more gpu than I am, 800-850 will be plenty, I run two quadro M6000 or two K6000 cards in it and have run 2 tesla k80 cards in it and my 850 is always more than enough, but, once again if you want to run a 1000 watts that's fine.
take a good look at your fitting choice, there are some that are really big, some people like that, I don't, they almost touch on my raystorm block, I prefer the smaller xspc and bits power fittings.

List looks fine overall but a few things I would change as follows.

I would change the tubing to PrimoChill Advanced LRT with your choice of clear or color and go with a clear premixed fluid from EK or Aquacomputer, etc. Some might argue not to do so but I feel its worth it. It's one of the cheapest annual investments in a expensive water cooling loop.

I would also recommend on drainage somewhere at the lowest point of the loop to make maintenance easier.

Great choice in case. More than enough room to throw anything at it and fairly easy to work with.

Thanks for your reply, Jack.

I've changed the tubing to the one you suggested in white.

As for the premixed fluid, would this suffice?

Now, drainage.. the pump/res will be the lowest point in the loop so what do you think of having one of these coming from the res in to a little bit of tubing with something like a ball valve at the end? I did some looking around and found a guy on here that done it like that.

a couple of notes, I run a 6800K, in very heavy work loads.
we have what equals the same cpu.
I also use a d5 pump, you don't need to get the vario pump, your going to wind up running it wide open any way.
I run mine at 4.0 and it just makes 60c on a three x 120 rad
cooling the board is a waste of money, my vrms exactly follow the cpu temp and peak at 60c also, I just use good airflw and lots of it, but if you like the bling, have at.
unless you're going to run a lot more gpu than I am, 800-850 will be plenty, I run two quadro M6000 or two K6000 cards in it and have run 2 tesla k80 cards in it and my 850 is always more than enough, but, once again if you want to run a 1000 watts that's fine.
take a good look at your fitting choice, there are some that are really big, some people like that, I don't, they almost touch on my raystorm block, I prefer the smaller xspc and bits power fittings.

Thanks for your reply, caddi daddi.

I'll be using the monoblock to keep me sane and also yes, the bling!

I did have multiple R9 290's before so that's why I've got a slightly overkill psu. I'm just running one now because I'm waiting for AMD VEGA.

As for the fittings, they don't look very big and I don't think there will be an issue though I'll take a look at others.

Last edited:
we understand and like bling, some just have a tighter budget than others.
on the fittings, I have some that have giant hex nuts, I forget who made them.

Thanks for your reply, Jack.

I've changed the tubing to the one you suggested in white.

As for the premixed fluid, would this suffice?

Now, drainage.. the pump/res will be the lowest point in the loop so what do you think of having one of these coming from the res in to a little bit of tubing with something like a ball valve at the end? I did some looking around and found a guy on here that done it like that.

Tubing and fluid looks good. Just make sure you know the fluids expiration so you know when to drain and refill. For most liquids its annual but for a few it could be every two years.

Drainage, sure you can use that or a T-line fitting. I am personally using a 5-way block which gives me more flexibility.

Tubing and fluid looks good. Just make sure you know the fluids expiration so you know when to drain and refill. For most liquids its annual but for a few it could be every two years.

Drainage, sure you can use that or a T-line fitting. I am personally using a 5-way block which gives me more flexibility.

I'll be sure to check the label :D

How on earth could one possibly put a 5-way block to use? wow :O

The monoblocks are far less flow restricting than individual blocks. You don't NEED to water cool anything, but water cooling the VRM's and chipset can keep more hot air out of the case resulting in lower temps for the other components. The hottest things in my case now are the PCH, since my monoblock only passively cools it, and my M2 drive. They are both at 35c. My CPU cores are ~ 27, GPU's 29, and VRM 31. At full load at stock speeds and voltages, except VCCSA, that has to impact the CPU temps a little, my CPU's stay in the low to mid 40's, GPU's and VRM never hit 40c.

Why does water have an expiration date? I don't think water really can expire. It's just a selling point to get you to buy more water.

Last edited:
The monoblocks are far less flow restricting than individual blocks. You don't NEED to water cool anything, but water cooling the VRM's and chipset can keep more hot air out of the case resulting in lower temps for the other components. The hottest things in my case now are the PCH, since my monoblock only passively cools it, and my M2 drive. They are both at 35c. My CPU cores are ~ 27, GPU's 29, and VRM 31. At full load at stock speeds and voltages, except VCCSA, that has to impact the CPU temps a little, my CPU's stay in the low to mid 40's, GPU's and VRM never hit 40c.

I agree on your assessment jaxx. Well said.

Why does water have an expiration date? I don't think water really can expire. It's just a selling point to get you to buy more water.

I'm not an engineer or scientist but think the reason is because the toxins in the fluid weaken overtime, therefore there's less protection and debris picked up along the way. That would be my educated guess.

DYI fluids can work but also be damaging as we've seen around here as I feel it is not worth the risk to save $20 annually on a $300-$1000+ liquid cooling loop as well as voiding your warranty. I can understand for those that are on DYI budgeted loops and don't have the funds for fluids annually but for the rest of us that can afford this and have expensive cooling gear, shouldn't be promoting to the masses since people will take us less seriously around here, I personally feel.

Thanks for the help with this fellas, I do very much appreciate it.

This is the list that has been ordered.

3 - EK Water Blocks EK-CryoFuel Clear Premix 900 ml
4 - EK Water Blocks EK-ACF Fitting 10/16mm - White
2 - EK Water Blocks EK-ACF Fitting 10/16mm - Elox Black
2 - EK Water Blocks EK-AF Angled 90 Degrees G1 / 4 inch - Black
1 - XSPC D5 Photon 270 Reservoir/Pump Combo V2
1 - EK Water Blocks EK-CoolStream CE 420 (Triple)
1 - EK Water Blocks EK-FB ASUS X99 Monoblock - Nickel
1 - EK Water Blocks EK-AF Ball Valve (10mm) G14 - Black
1 - EK Water Blocks EK-AF Y-Splitter Rotary 2F-1M G1/4 - Black
1 - EK Water Blocks EK-CSQ Plug G1/4 (for EK-Badge) - Black
1- PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 3/8in. x 5/8in. OD Tubing Bundle (10ft pack) - Elegant White

I know there's extra fittings in there. If I have missed anything out it's no big deal as i wont be rushing to put this together, I have to RMA my HX1000i as it's decided to play up.

Back