• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doom 3 minimum system specs released

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sjaak

http://www.tweakers.net/nieuws/33418 (dutch)

'A pentium 4 or Athlon CPU of at least 1.5Ghz, accompanied by at least 384 MB of ram and a Radeon 8500 / Geforce 3 videocard with 64 MB VRAM will be needed to play the game on medium detail settings. A better videocard with DX9 support however, is advisable'

That sounds good.

I almost feel moved to loathe id software for releasing a title that so very few people will be able to appreciate in its full glory. Especially because one of those people is me.

about a year ago i heard something about HL2...that it should be playable on 750Mhz/256RAM/32MB TNT2

*bwahahahaha*

Goodberry said:
I almost feel moved to loathe id software for releasing a title that so very few people will be able to appreciate in its full glory. Especially because one of those people is me.

Um the rig in your sig could play doom3 at maximum settings 1024X768 with 16AF and maybe even some AA very well.

Cerberus2k7 said:
Nope, your video card sux0rz. You need a really high end video card to play that game. Like a nVidia GeForce FX5800.59U!!! :attn:

:p

Hmz. i have the box of my brothers 9200SE lying here, and it says 'best gaming card in the world' so i better stick it in when doom comes

dguy6789 said:
Um the rig in your sig could play doom3 at maximum settings 1024X768 with 16AF and maybe even some AA very well.

you won't be able to play doom 3 at maximum settings with any computer out right now since the maximum setting supposedly requires a video card with 512mb.

We all know what the minimum requirements are:
Have a good look at the menus, the settings, and possibly play the game with 20 fps on lowest settings. :-/

To be able to play decently you need at least an A64 3200+, 6800 GT, 1GB RAM tight latencies. Even with that, you still won't be able to see the game's full potential.

To be able to play decently you need at least an A64 3200+, 6800 GT, 1GB RAM tight latencies. Even with that, you still won't be able to see the game's full potential.

I suppose that all depends on your definition of decently. My prediction is that a system with 512mb of ram, 2.8ghz, and a 9600class will be able to play medium settings at 30-50fps.
It just would not make economic sense to release a game that was only playable on the top 1% of pc's

If by full potential, you mean 8xAA and 16xAF at 1600x1200- Im sure you are more than right :)

I have the leaked beta of Doom 3 and unless they made some massive changes, your gonna need a good system to run it without it looking like Commander Keen.

termin@tor said:
We all know what the minimum requirements are:
Have a good look at the menus, the settings, and possibly play the game with 20 fps on lowest settings. :-/

um no. You could play doom 3 with an athlon xp 2200 and a 9800 pro with 1GB ram just fine. Tight ram latencies NEVER have and never will give you anything realistic. The difference between 3 4 4 10 and 2 2 2 6 timings is NOT noticable in anything except benchies, and even then, the diff is less then 5%.

The 512MB ram thing is a MYTH, as in, made up by people other then ID. ID softare have stated that the game at MOST will use 80MB of video memory and never more, but you need room for frame buffer, so a 128MB card would have to run at 1024X768 with no aa to run well at max settings.

a 9700 pro will run the game at max settings just fine PERIOD. The game does NOT take as much power as people think, doom 3 ran fine on the 9800 pro(40fps at 1280X960 with max settings) back in alpha/beta stages. So it will do MUCH better now.

Back