• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doom 3 minimum system specs released

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
nealric said:
I really do feel sorry for all the dell owners who shell out $50 for the game and then find out that their "'intel extreme graphics" arent quite as extreme as they thought. Best buy and the like may have a lot of people trying to return the game.

Maybe they could get it to do 640x480 with everything off.

doubt it. The geforce 2 mx400 is around 500-1000% faster then an intel extreme graphics setup in generals, ut2k3 and such, so if ppl say a gf2 cant do it, then i seriously doubt an intel extreme gpu can.

dguy6789 said:
then i seriously doubt an intel extreme gpu can.

its having a hardtime rendering the desktop *lol*

The Intel Extreme graphis 3 (grantsdale stuff) are supposed to be able to run the eye candy of Longhorn (so said MS)

Sjaak said:
a GF2 is no good, a GF3, as said above, should be enough for a good deal of the eye candy. too bad for the 9800pro though :(
Ahh, but it said GF3 for medium quality... I'd assume a GF2 could play low quality...

Sux my 9800 may be dead...

For the GF3 you need its programmable pixle shaders, GF2 doesnt have them. Thats why it wont run it. But who knows, because we are all talking about a game that hasnt been released yet, lol. Also Id hasnt made a offiacial press release or anything on the specs as far as i know.

The doom3 demo, the alpha version that was "leaked" @ E3, ran well on a 2.8/3.0GHz P4 + Radeon 9700. Sure, you won't get "Ultra Quality", but what the hell is wrong with "High" ? You damned addicts.

ID must have some crazy hardware technology these days to create a game that people cant even buy hardware to play on top graphics for. "Ultra" mode cant be played till 512mb card is out, think what it too to make the ultra mode lol...

HOLY CRAP BATMAN!

I can still run my 9700 Pro. I was trying to find this out in the DOOM3 review thread with HARDOCP links.

As quoted from TwoosH:

Quote:
a 9700 pro will run the game at max settings just fine PERIOD. The game does NOT take as much power as people think, doom 3 ran fine on the 9800 pro(40fps at 1280X960 with max settings) back in alpha/beta stages. So it will do MUCH better now.

Twoosh, I got a question for you. I notice signal corps there on your avatar. You were trained at Fort Gordon, GA were you?

Mr.Guvernment said:
well dont matter to me as my x800PRO arrived today :D - i got no worries!

You may want to research if you can bust out some tools to enable all 16 pipelines in that card. Or maybe not. Rage 3d have anything cool on it?

Let us know how it goes if you decide to mod it.

I am going to wait until ATI makes a move on its drivers after Doom 3 is released. That 9700 Pro overclocked is going to have to hold out for a few. :bang head

Then I may consider that cool card that you have. :cool:

People are overestimating the requirements of this game. Would Id really make a game that requires an expensive pc bought in the last 6 months just to be playable? Remember that 90% of people don't build their own pc's, don't overclock their pc's, and don't upgrade them all that often.

I can't think of a game thats been released that was too intense for an average powerful pc at the time, apart from maybe TA:Kingdoms lol.

I doubt however, even the most powerful oc'ed pc people own will be able to run this game on maximum settings.

Also remember the difference that extra settings can make is often marginal, the difference between HIGH quality and ULTRA HIGH quality will probably be fairly indiscernible.

Spoons said:
People are overestimating the requirements of this game. Would Id really make a game that requires an expensive pc bought in the last 6 months just to be playable? Remember that 90% of people don't build their own pc's, don't overclock their pc's, and don't upgrade them all that often.

I can't think of a game thats been released that was too intense for an average powerful pc at the time, apart from maybe TA:Kingdoms lol.

I doubt however, even the most powerful oc'ed pc people own will be able to run this game on maximum settings.

Also remember the difference that extra settings can make is often marginal, the difference between HIGH quality and ULTRA HIGH quality will probably be fairly indiscernible.

the latest game that could not be played at maxed in game settings was LOMAC...a fixed wing flight combat game.
not even OCed systems was fast enough to run this game at maxed out settings.

it came out just before last x-mas.

btw, when Q3A came out in Nov of 1999, you could not at first play one LVL, at maxed out, 32bit color and 32bit textures with the fastest cards that were out at the time. (GFDDR)
due to only having 32meg vid ram.
S3TC was added, to help keep settings at max, and was a life saver.
stoped the stuttering from AGP texture thrashing.

yet at the time, who realy used max settings anyway to play online?

once 64meg vid ram was relised, no need for S3TC or choosing a lower setting.

with Doom3 the game, we will only be seeing a small % of just what can be done with the engine.

man, now I want to reinstall Q3A and kick some online a$$.

mica

Yah I wasn't talking about things on MAX settings, just normal default ones. Most games when they come out if they're not based on an old engine can't be run at max settings, developers always put in stuff that people can turn up when the game starts to get a little old keeping it looking younger and peoples systems are more powerful.

Back