• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DSL internet connection sharing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Liquidsky

Registered
I want to share my internet connection with my win 98se pc. I'm currently running 2000 and after finally getting the pc to share files (thanks to the forum) I want to share my connection. I just don't know how. This is my first time setting up a network so I don't really know how. So far I can share files but I can't share my connection. Help!

IMO, the best thing to do is to get a router. With internet connection sharing (ICS), one computer needs to have 2 NICs installed (which can be a pain in itself) and it must be up for the other machine to access the internet.

If you have the extra $100 or so, go for a router. I have a D-Link 804 and it has a built-in 4 port switch as well as a firewall. Another plus to having a router is that either machine may access the internet without the other being turned on. But both machines can connect at the same time, just like with ICS. If you do get a router and you don't have a switch or hub laying around, then be sure to get a model with an integrated switch. I got mine at www.amazon.com and it's $79.99 (there was a $30 rebate earlier in the month, but it's over now).

I forgot to mention: a router's MUCH less of a headache. The setup for my router only took a few minutes, and it was simple too. I did try to set up ICS with 56k a long time ago, but it never would work right.

Back