• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual boot...linux noob

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chittnp

Im building a dual boot system, and I was thinking of using one of the western digital raptor drives for my OS's and applications. Its going to be WIN XP Pro and Gentoo, and I was wondering if the 36GB raptor would be big enough, or if I should go with the bigger (74GB) drive.

A 37GB hard drive will be large enough to dual boot. Windows tends to be around a 2GB install and Linux is around the same depending on what you've installed. The largest I've seen a fresh Linux install be was 4GB. It really depends on what you plan to do with your system. If you plan to install a bunch of games then I may opt for the larger disk, but if it's generally fooling around then I think you'd be fine with 37GB you have planned now. Think of what you plan to do with it and consider it accordingly. :)

-DarkArctic

well, I want to set up apache and an FTP server, mainly so I can learn about all that and linux at the same time. alos in an unrelated question, is there a program like apache that will run in a linux enviornment? or will apache run in both?

Apache originally started out in a Unix environment and has been able to run in Linux for a long time now so you shoul have no problems running that. Also having just a server box shouldn't take up much room at all so you should be good for space and have plenty left over.

-DarkArctic

Back