• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual PSU How-Tos

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I guess I'm lazy too, but cautious. if I splice the green wire from a spare psu, and a ground, to the corresponding wires on my psu that's plugged into the MB. will the power switch then turn both psus on? The 2nd psu is only used to run fans/lights.

Thanks,
Froz

If you want the second PSU to start up when you press the power button on your computer read one of the articles.
If you just want to be able to turn on a lone PSU connect a black and green wire on the ATX connector.

Results!

clipped a green and black, about 2 inches back from the connector (should i want to use the PSU normally again, i can easily resplice) soldered to some old #18 stranded, popped a switch in under the bezel, taped off the extra atx with duct tape, zip-tied the thing down so it wont get loose- and it now runs 2 HDD's 4 fan's,(of 14) 1 CDrom (old 16x)
took some load off the main PSU, i am now rock solid, drives have less errors, system has less errors, can OC higher, failsafe cooling (kinda, wouldnt be much to cool if the main PSU barfed, but drives would still run, so that risk is negated)
there it is in a nutshell.
4 bucks for the switch, 2 bucks for heatshrink, ring connectors, 1 buck+ change for solder, buck for a lighter, scrap wire.
not bad at all, for a cheap advanced project thats fast and effective!
if youve got a spare PSU and some space in there, it might be worth a try.
and yes, i have mastered as much as one can; the process of soldering with a lighter. heaven forbid i cough up the cash for a proper soldering gun, or even get a cheap one... :burn:

Froz said:
I guess I'm lazy too, but cautious. if I splice the green wire from a spare psu, and a ground, to the corresponding wires on my psu that's plugged into the MB. will the power switch then turn both psus on? The 2nd psu is only used to run fans/lights.

Thanks,
Froz
Yes, it will.
In fact, you need only splice the green wire...the PSUs share a common ground through the chassis already (assuming that your aux. PSU is bolted to the case).

Thanks im gonna run dual psu`s soon as i get me gruby hands on another for my 11 fans and drives.

hmm has anyone written a tutorial on how to INTERNALLY wire 2 PSU's so that you do not need to plug it into 2 outlets? I mean yea voids the warranty and all....seems to me ud be able to internally wire the switch too no?

I have a spare PSU and I'm going to try connecting it to my Antec True Power 430 becuase I have some instability on the 3.3 line, it's now at 3.23.

My other PSU is a 550W cheap ATX PSU. I know all the guides explain how to do it but let me say what I'm planning to do and you can say yay or nay!!

About 2 inches back from PSU1 I will cut 14. Then cut 14 on PSU 2 connect it to PSU1 14 wire so that it is like a 'Y' conection. Then I will cut any black wire on PSU1 and do the same thing????

Ok I did the 14 pin wire trick so my second PSU is powering HDD, GFX card CDROMs ect. My rails are exatly the same as before though.

I'm pritty sure that 3.23 on my 3.3 is hindering my overclock so is it possible to use the 3.3 from my second PSU cos if I remember rightly it had a descent 3.3 rail.

Basically, what wires do I cut and connect to get the 3.3v from my old PSU instead of the weak ones on my Antec. The reason I'm not plain swapping them is cos the Antec has a better 12v and besides the cable is too short on the second PSU:p Thnks... ??????

I imagine I connect some wires from PSU#2 to PSU#1, but will it be safe having PSU#2 on and running and therefore the 3.3v is on going to the mobo whilst PSU#1 is off.

edit!!

Solved it, used the second PSU for the mobo so now have 3.33 and the Antec is powering the 12v [which 11.61] and peripherals:D Haven't got the know how to do mods but it's definetely a dual PSU setup thnx to this thread.

Last edited:
Back