• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual pumped, quad pumped, who does what?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ppe1700

i read somewhere years ago, that AMD was better than intel because although their chips were slower, they worked out that they can do more work since they have an equivelant speed of intels 3700hz (eg 3700+)

but does this figure still hold?

isnt this when amd started to have their cpu's dual pumped, and now intel has their quad pumped?

is amd still only dual pumped?

does anyone know what im talking about?:shrug:

Well, AMD lost the crown when Core 2 Duo came out like 2 years ago both clock for clock and in clockspeed. Check out a few reviews about processors to be up to date on it.

So that PR rating 3700+ does not hold water anymore, would rather recommend to check the actual clockspeed on the processors and the amount of cache they use.

Quad pumped is Intel's FSB which will be history in a year but in one way systems it does not limit them anyway, Intel switches to quickpath with nehalem, AMD uses HT for a years.

i read somewhere years ago, that AMD was better than intel because although their chips were slower, they worked out that they can do more work since they have an equivelant speed of intels 3700hz (eg 3700+)

I remember those days. Back when the older Athlons @ 2ghz owned the P4s @ 3ghz. Not so anymore.

Both AMD and Intel have dual and quad-cores, but intel's chips are better clock for clock and OC MUCH higher. Popular chips for OC'ing: e8400 (dual-core, can hit around ~4.5 ghz stable on air), q6600 (quad-core, up to ~3.7ghz stable on air), e7200 (cheaper dual core but similar to the e8400, can do around 4ghz). Those numbers are ofcourse not 100% accurate and only estimations; it varies from chip to chip, also depending on your other hardware (mobo, ram) and there's a few lucky chips that go a bit higher than all the rest.

Basically you should go with intel nowadays if you want a high o/c.

Back