• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6320 and Abit AB9 QuadGT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
I gave a buddy advice on putting a system together. He used a E6320, Abit AB9 QuadGT mobo, and 4X1GB G. Skill "PK" RAM. The goal was to run 2.8 gig with no more than one bump in vcore with the RAM at DDR2-800 with 4-4-4-12 timings. He was pleased it did this with default vcore.

He asked me to play with it to see what it would do, so I was happy to oblige. The previous Abit AB9 and AB9 Pro mobos I've messed with seemed to flake out at about 430 FSB. But, this new AB9 QuadGT had far more chipset voltages and other settings to experiment with and apparently will do higher FSB speeds.

CPU cooling was a Zalman for quietness, so I didn't try pushing it too far, but I had it running stable at 3.2 gig which is 458 FSB. I was using default chipset voltages and bumped up vcore to 1.4v (probably didn't need to go that high, but wanted to make sure the CPU didn't hold me back at higher FSB). I'm semi-impressed with the AB9 QuadGT mobo. Looked like it had more left in it too.

What was even sweeter was the 4X1GB G. Skill ($200) running at DDR2-916 and 4-4-4-10 with 2.1v. I thought that with 4 sticks it might limit the O/C, but I was proved wrong.

Not bad. We set the system back down to 3 gig (429 FSB) with low voltages for everyday usage. This is going to be a home business GIS computer (ARCview etc.), so they wanted 110% stability.

Anyone else using the Abit AB9 QuadGT successfully? What is max FSB?

The QuadGT is recognised as 1 of the best 965 mobos not just in terms of fsb but performance too (most other 965s switch to the looser 1333 strap but the QuadGT doesn't - possibly because of that it isn't the best for max bus speed on RAM).
I think that the highest CPU fsb that I've ever seen reported was either 572 or 574 fsb.

The new P35 mobos go even higher.

Since I posted this, I found Godman's thread in the Abit mobo section. He got 516 FSB out of an E6400.

Back