• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

****ed about BTX form factor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
its not even really out yet, i'll worry about it when its everywhere and I need to upgrade. Prob 2-3 more years for ATX

noxipoo said:
its not even really out yet, i'll worry about it when its everywhere and I need to upgrade. Prob 2-3 more years for ATX

By the looks of it, it will never be out. Unless Intel puts some real pressure on manufacturers its not going to happen. They all see BTX as nonsense.

As for ATX going away Im sure there will be some new form factor at some point in the future. But not until there is a substantially better design and besides the G5 case I have seen none. Course you could get the functionality of a G5 case with an ATX mobo, just need to mount stuff in the case differently.

All you need to do to get the cooling of a G5 is a couple front to back ducts. Right? Or is there something else about the G5 case?
I just ordered my Lian-Li PC-70. I think this shows my confidence in not needing to upgrade my case.
I would actually love the reversed side for the window because it would give me a better way to organize my desk. I would then have room to move my receiver closer and I would have my case visible to the rest of the room.

jamesavery22 said:

By the looks of it, it will never be out. Unless Intel puts some real pressure on manufacturers its not going to happen. They all see BTX as nonsense.

As for ATX going away Im sure there will be some new form factor at some point in the future. But not until there is a substantially better design and besides the G5 case I have seen none. Course you could get the functionality of a G5 case with an ATX mobo, just need to mount stuff in the case differently.

Why nonsense? Do you have a link to show this manufacturer position?

I'm glad to see that others are just as concerned as I am about BTX. It's bad enough that PCI Express is coming down the pike, which will require a new mobo. If PCI Express is only available in BTX style mobos, then you can add a new case to your budget.

I just hope AMD doesn't jump on this band waggon.

To make matters even more interesting, Intel is hinting that they've solved the extreme heat issues for the upcoming 775 socket. I read that on Inquirer.com. So, what then would be the point of BTX? Just to frustrate us?

Honestly, I wouldn't have any problems switching eventually to BTX if they didn't swap the motherboard tray to the other side of the case. The only reason I can think of for this radical change is that the graphics card industry demanded it so that they didn't have to do major changes to their boards. The GPU stays on the same side for them, but since the mobo is flipped for BTX the gpu faces up rather than down. Or perhaps the graphics board manufactures told Intel to take a long walk off a short peer and thus Intel hand no choice but to push the mobo swap onto the mobo and case manufactures.

Last edited:
I figure I will be messing around with the atx form factors for at least the next 3 or 4 years. By then the prices on the new BTX and PCI express stuff will be much lower. I am not really worrying too much about the switch. Even when they switch over I will probably be running some sort of water cooled overclocked atx setup, along side my new BTX PCI express setup. If this stuff comes out next year its not like you have to burn all your old atx stuff and start over. It won't be the standard for awhile, and then when it does become the standard the prices will be dropping.

MoreGooder said:
I'm glad to see that others are just as concerned as I am about BTX. It's bad enough that PCI Express is coming down the pike, which will require a new mobo. If PCI Express is only available in BTX style mobos, then you can add a new case to your budget.

I just hope AMD doesn't jump on this band waggon.

To make matters even more interesting, Intel is hinting that they've solved the extreme heat issues for the upcoming 775 socket. I read that on Inquirer.com. So, what then would be the point of BTX? Just to frustrate us?

Honestly, I wouldn't have any problems switching eventually to BTX if they didn't swap the motherboard tray to the other side of the case. The only reason I can think of for this radical change is that the graphics card industry demanded it so that they didn't have to do major changes to their boards. The GPU stays on the same side for them, but since the mobo is flipped for BTX the gpu faces up rather than down. Or perhaps the graphics board manufactures told Intel to take a long walk off a short peer and thus Intel hand no choice but to push the mobo swap onto the mobo and case manufactures.

No worry there... Seems like PCI Express is not a BTX-only thing; here is a picture of a 925 chipset board in ATX format.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/misc/picture/?src=/images/editorial/cebit2004-4/lga775_tyan925x_big.jpg&1=1

Even SiS joins the party:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/misc/picture/?src=/images/editorial/cebit2004-4/sis_656reference_big.jpg&1=1

FIZZ3 said:

Why nonsense? Do you have a link to show this manufacturer position?

nonsense??

Copied from my first post:

Link to xbit source page

Foxconn seems to be the only mainboard maker besides Intel who has BTX mainboards and even chassis. No other manufacturers cope with BTX today; to tell you the truth, even Foxconn does not believe the BTX standard will ever become seriously popular

jamesavery22 said:

nonsense??

Copied from my first post:

Not "nonsense", but "why nonsense?" -it was a question. :)

I must have missed your link to the xbit page in your first post. However, I don't put much faith in what mr. shilov says about this. The tune there always seems to be that newer is NOT better and that better, but more expensive stuff is NOT worth the money. I think he has a personal bias there.
I was hoping there would be more solid sources pertaining the unwillingness of mobo makers to switch to BTX.

Why exactly are you getting ticked? In a year, you will want another processor anyways, that will mean a new mobo. You will also be needing to up-grade your water cooling(uneless intell actually does get temps under control). And how much trouble is it really to buy new hoses/tubes to just re-arrange your w/c? And you can always get a cheap BTX case, some lexan sheets, and a dremel and put a window on the OTHER side. That is a total of $100 if you get a cheap case. I mean honestly, you drop $300 just to COOL your cpu to get a higer overclock? Aren't you saving enough money by making a slow proc. faster??

ooh, well yea..you do have a point there. what I plan on doing is begging the granmother for money to get btx lol. but, depending on your age that might not be possible. It's not REALLY that much, but you could always go prommiw with that amount of money.

FIZZ3 said:

Not "nonsense", but "why nonsense?" -it was a question. :)

I must have missed your link to the xbit page in your first post. However, I don't put much faith in what mr. shilov says about this. The tune there always seems to be that newer is NOT better and that better, but more expensive stuff is NOT worth the money. I think he has a personal bias there.
I was hoping there would be more solid sources pertaining the unwillingness of mobo makers to switch to BTX.

Unfortunately that xbit article isnt as accurate as Id like it to be. Ive seen a few pics of Asus's micro-btx case (that slim desktop one) and an Enlight BTX mini-tower.

Link to enlight case:
http://www4.tomshardware.com/business/20040325/cebit2004_3-12.html

yeong yang btx cases:
http://utkin.blogs.com/geekview/2004/03/cebit_previews_.html

Asus's microbtx case looks pretty tight, link:
http://www.tweakers.net/nieuws/31698

Dont really like how a midtower has a whole 1 5.25" bay...

One thing about the BTX form factor is that it should fit in the envied Macintosh G5 case without significant modification, due to the location of the expansion slots.I think the case manufacturers should offer cases similar to the mac G5 case, which has the door on the left, and the slots on the TOP. Then we won't have to rearrange our rooms.

I agree Dana G.

I also think it would be cool to have a case where you, the end user, could decide which side of the case you would like for the motherboard to be mounted. Many of us have cases with removable motherboard trays. It's simple to conceive of a case that has the back panel of the case connected to the motherboard tray. The screws and mechanical connection what-nots would need to be symmetric about the tall axis of the case. Then, by simply disassembling/reassembling you could have your motherboard on either side, yet wouldn't need to mod the back pannel so that the case slots line up with the motherboard expansions slots. This would, of course, only be either for BTX or ATX but not both.

Lets just hope that case manufacturers read these forums. If they don't they're missing out on marketing and product ideas.

Last edited:
Damn, this is the one thread that's made me come out of perma-lurk-mode. Ok, who's already started thinking about how to mod that Coolermaster Stacker STC-T01? At least it's a nice looking case. Maybe we'll see new rads that will fit along the bottom of the case with the two 80mm fans pulling the cool air and the lowest 120mm fan pushing.

Back